The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

aronl
can you back up your argument with proof?

No, I cannot:frown:
Reply 2
Depends what you mean by country.

England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland are countries but aren't nation-states, because neither is sovereign.
Reply 3
tanzy
No, I cannot:frown:

but what do you think?
Country is a vague term that can refer to many things.
Reply 5
Its quite clear that they are individual countries with seperate cultures and identity's, united to form a larger state. You can also point to the historical seperation of the united kindom and the new devolution of the three celtic nations with scotland holding most of its own power in the parliament.
If you say no then you also could say that the uk does not exist as it is part of a larger state in europe that holds power.
so i argue yes they are
Reply 6
aronl
Are England, Scotland, Wales and N. Ireland seperate countries? or are they simply different regions within the United Kingdom? i think they are part of the UK, which is a country, but my friend disagrees.

what do you think?
can you back up your argument with proof?

Though country is a vague term, it's usually used synonymously with "state'. And a state, by definition, is sovereign over its territories. In this day and age, being a country more or less requires having a seat at the UN. The UK is a country, England is not. Though England can become a country if Scotland, Wales, and N. Ireland secede.

I think your friend is thinking of nations (i.e. a group of people with a similar culture, history, language, etc.), in which case England is indeed a nation, while the UK is not really one.
They are regions of a country (assuming of course that by 'country' you mean nation-state ; as most do). Reality is the proof.
ali567149
Its quite clear that they are individual countries with seperate cultures and identity's, united to form a larger state.

Possibly.
You can also point to the historical seperation of the united kindom and the new devolution of the three celtic nations with scotland holding most of its own power in the parliament.

Historical seperation is irrelevant. Description of Scottish parliament incorrect.
If you say no then you also could say that the uk does not exist as it is part of a larger state in europe that holds power.

No you couldnt.
Reply 9
England, Scotland, Wales and (Northern) Ireland are nations.

The UK (Britain) is a country.
Reply 10
england is a home nation of the UK.

same goes for scotland, wales and NI
zooropa
England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland are countries but aren't nation-states, because neither is sovereign.

Since when did sovereignty matter in regard to nation-states?
No, it's a way of life :rolleyes:
Wales is a principality.
England is very much a country. Country is used to refer to nations and states.
_jackofdiamonds
Country is used to refer to nations and states.

Can't find Catalonia, Palestine and the Basque Country on the list of countries on the UN's website. :rolleyes:
Reply 16
NDGAARONDI
Since when did sovereignty matter in regard to nation-states?

Since their creation; nation-states have always been defined by the existence of sovereignty...

NDGAARONDI
Can't find Catalonia, Palestine and the Basque Country on the list of countries on the UN's website. :rolleyes:

They're not countries; they're nations. Unlike a country (i.e. state), a nation is defined by a common history, culture, language, etc., and does not entail sovereignty.
Hang on a second.....Correct me if i'm wrong but isn't the UK a nation, and England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland the countries that make up the nation? I have heard England and so on referred to as countries on the news etc very often, and the UK as a nation (or a potential state in a new United States of Europe talks). Enlighten me please :biggrin:
Bismarck
Since their creation; nation-states have always been definted by the existence of sovereignty...

They're not countries; they're nations. Unlike a country (i.e. state), a nation is defined by a common history, culture, language, etc., and does not entail sovereignty.

Hence why the UK could be a nation, the seperate regions share a common culture and background.....
Reply 19
LOCneverstop
Hang on a second.....Correct me if i'm wrong but isn't the UK a nation, and England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland the countries that make up the nation? I have heard England and so on referred to as countries on the news etc very often, and the UK as a nation (or a potential state in a new United States of Europe talks). Enlighten me please :biggrin:

England, Wales, Scotland and NI are nations. As Bizzy points out, nations have some similar characteristics between them.

The UK is a country, because the sovereignity (i.e. Parliament, PM, army etc) is one for the whole the UK. Although devolved assemblies exist, absolute sovereignity is in Westminster.

Latest

Trending

Trending