The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kidioteque
Hmmm, Economics wasn't too great. Pretty sure I wholly misinterpreted one of the questions and that could lead to me dropping 8 marks already. Think "the Cambridge dream" really is over!

You're too hard on yourself. Whether or not your perception was right, it doesn't mean its your fault necessarily, it's just bad luck or perhaps it was just a bad day. Despite what everyone on here says, getting ~90% As in 3 subjects is good enough to give it a shot.

I don't mean any offence to anyone, but this is how I feel about UMS:

The secret to UMS is how the majority of candidates (the ones who go to huge colleges and often don't do quite enough work) found the paper. If they struggled (even if the paper seemed easy to those who prepared) the grade boundaries will be low.

It's also worth noting in a subject like Econ where 10 marks out of 50 (one question) can have a huge impact on performance that it wouldn't surprise me if the grade boundaries jumped around a bit.

But don't be so hard on yourself. You seem smart and hard working to me, whether or not luck or circumstances run well is not in your control. The UCAS system is all about ultimately spotting potential, so if Cambridge dismiss a good candidate because of one or two off-day exams, that is their loss.
Original post by Llewellyn
You're too hard on yourself. Whether or not your perception was right, it doesn't mean its your fault necessarily, it's just bad luck or perhaps it was just a bad day. Despite what everyone on here says, getting ~90% As in 3 subjects is good enough to give it a shot.

I don't mean any offence to anyone, but this is how I feel about UMS:

The secret to UMS is how the majority of candidates (the ones who go to huge colleges and often don't do quite enough work) found the paper. If they struggled (even if the paper seemed easy to those who prepared) the grade boundaries will be low.

It's also worth noting in a subject like Econ where 10 marks out of 50 (one question) can have a huge impact on performance that it wouldn't surprise me if the grade boundaries jumped around a bit.

But don't be so hard on yourself. You seem smart and hard working to me, whether or not luck or circumstances run well is not in your control. The UCAS system is all about ultimately spotting potential, so if Cambridge dismiss a good candidate because of one or two off-day exams, that is their loss.

Cheers pal, much appreciated. Wish I could be as logical and straight-thinking as you! Fingers crossed, it's out of my hands now.

How have your exams been? I seem to recall you being one of the more sensible people on this thread whose view was that you'd apply if you got the grades but not have your heart set on it!
Cheers pal, much appreciated. Wish I could be as logical and straight-thinking as you! Fingers crossed, it's out of my hands now.

How have your exams been? I seem to recall you being one of the more sensible people on this thread whose view was that you'd apply if you got the grades but not have your heart set on it!

Don't worry mate :smile:, I did econ2 as well...they are pretty nice with the marking (or i hope so!) Many people in myy year misread macroeconomic policies as macroeconomic objectives which was the 30 marker! ..I hope we all do fine.

No problem :h: when your exams finish (unless they already have) just remember to do a bit of complimentary stuff around your subject. Remember, A level exams aren't the entire basis of decisions, there's a lot to be said for independent work and developing your interest in the subject outside of school hours.

I've only had 4/8 exams so far. I suppose they've been ok... I suspect I messed a few things up. I don't talk about them afterwards though because it won't change anything, and I need to spend that exam-esque energy on preparation for the remaining exams.

I have my heart set on going to a good uni (top 20/ Russell group). And I think I can do that because I'm working at A standard in class, so that's my main goal. Cambridge is a really lovely place, but then so are a number of others (London, Durham, Bath, Manchester, etc.)! I think I will apply to Cambridge if I do apply to Oxbridge though, because Oxford don't offer quite the right course for me.

The main reasoning behind what may seem to be my more relaxed attitude is my assessment of the UCAS system. I trust the combination of AS exams and interviewers to assess whether or not I could cope with the Cambridge course. If the outcome is no; then that's fine, I wouldn't want to study somewhere for 3/4 years if I spent the whole time struggling and coming bottom. If the outcome is yes; then that's great and I'll do my best to take the opportunity. The only situation where I'd be miserable is either getting 5 rejections (fingers crossed, shouldn't happen) or if I miss out on my offers (but fingers crossed, they won't ask for more than A*AA).
Too... Hot... To... Revise... :tongue:
Original post by iCiaran
Too... Hot... To... Revise... :tongue:

Agreed - especially with hay fever which is slowly killing me; but all I've got left is M2 :tongue: which is going to be a breeze if I don't make a mistake (I haven't managed so far yet in a maths exam :frown:).

Shame after doing well in chemistry, but not so much in physics (or maths), I'm not doing natural sciences - I'm probably going to get for chemistry between 290-300 (not trying to sound arrogant).

Would Cambridge really be interested in that if I go for CS? (They'll probably ask why I'm not doing natural sciences xD).
Original post by silentlife
Agreed - especially with hay fever which is slowly killing me; but all I've got left is M2 :tongue: which is going to be a breeze if I don't make a mistake (I haven't managed so far yet in a maths exam :frown:).

Shame after doing well in chemistry, but not so much in physics (or maths), I'm not doing natural sciences - I'm probably going to get for chemistry between 290-300 (not trying to sound arrogant).

Would Cambridge really be interested in that if I go for CS? (They'll probably ask why I'm not doing natural sciences xD).

Good luck with your M2, just take your time with it, I know I generally rush when I'm doing past papers so they aren't that representative of how I actually do...

And part of the 1st year for CS you take NatSci modules anyway, or you could always apply for NatSci and take CS modules in the first year, although they're pretty similar, pretty sure you can switch at the end of the first year if you change your mind which you want to focus on...
Original post by iCiaran
I'm pretty sure they're with AQA, I have D1 S2 and C4 in Jan as well I think, then D2 M2 FP1 and 2 in June i think xD

Physics revision for today helped with M1 a bit xD, it seems to me that there is very little content for it, and the exam is just applying the same thing in different ways over and over again xD

^ So many xD's :colondollar:

xD
Original post by iCiaran
Good luck with your M2, just take your time with it, I know I generally rush when I'm doing past papers so they aren't that representative of how I actually do...

And part of the 1st year for CS you take NatSci modules anyway, or you could always apply for NatSci and take CS modules in the first year, although they're pretty similar, pretty sure you can switch at the end of the first year if you change your mind which you want to focus on...

Good luck on M2 too and your other exams...

You people on exam leave or still have to go to school? We've been on exam leave for the last 2 weeks, but we have to go to school next week despite still having M2 to do and some people have to take Latin next week too... :frown:
I currently take History/Government and Politics/Sociology and Psychology am dropping Psych for A2 after my last exam this month.

Want to study Human Social Political Sciences. (HSPS). Am thinking of Pembroke. Amthinking of a gap year so probably apply 2014 :smile:

You people on exam leave or still have to go to school? We've been on exam leave for the last 2 weeks, but we have to go to school next week despite still having M2 to do and some people have to take Latin next week too... :frown:

Just M1 this time round :tongue:

Yeah have been for about 2 weeks now, then the whole school is off the week after next, but I do go back to school and start all the A2 courses before I sit C3 on the 21st of june...
Original post by Clover12
I currently take History/Government and Politics/Sociology and Psychology am dropping Psych for A2 after my last exam this month.

Want to study Human Social Political Sciences. (HSPS). Am thinking of Pembroke. Amthinking of a gap year so probably apply 2014 :smile:

Imho you are going to have a bit of a problem in going to Cambridge with only 2 A2s...
oh no I'm keeping sociology, GP and history thats 3 A2's i'll be doing plus am doing the EPQ.

Wbu? what A levels are you doing and what do you want to study :smile:
oh no I'm keeping sociology, GP and history thats 3 A2's i'll be doing plus am doing the EPQ.

Wbu? what A levels are you doing and what do you want to study :smile:

Look @ my signature - I'm doing the exact of opposite of you. :tongue:

I would recommend you consider applying this year, but for a deferred place. That way, you can gap year safe in the knowledge, or get a second chance! :smile:
Anybody else taken part in the Cambridge Chemistry Competition this year? A bit annoyed at myself, I let one of my months slip slightly and so I've missed out on top 10. Still, it's quite fun. ^_^
Oh cool SilentLife.

The thing is Oromise263 I want to retake my gcse maths got a C. Hopefully I can get an A if I retake.

Also want to enhance my Cv by doing voluntery work abroad and work experience tailored to my Course.
:smile:
Reply 1797

My "study leave" started a week ago. It ends in 3 weeks.
Which means as most people finished the first half of last week its just a month long holiday.
Question 1 - the part which I think I misinterpreted was the one about suggesting two possible reasons why real disposable incomes were falling. :frown:

Ohh I did that question too :smile: What did you write for it? And don't fret about it since I think you can still get an A if you lose something like 17 marks on this paper :colondollar:
Original post by mucgoo
My "study leave" started a week ago. It ends in 3 weeks.
Which means as most people finished the first half of last week its just a month long holiday.

Lucky people... I wish our school did the same because I really can't focus on the new material with knowledge that an examination of the old stuff is on the horizon. (I'm going to skive a couple days off school after exams by going to as many open days as possible :tongue:).

Enjoy your holiday then. :wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending