The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Accommodation - really have no idea

hey,

i know that there's probably lots of other threads with accommodation as a subject but i'm about to accept Edinburgh as my 1st choice ( sept 06 rock on! :smile: ) but i really havent a clue as to which accommodation's the best. i would like to go self catering and the flats appeal to me but the website doesnt go into that much detail as to where they're situated etc so if anyone coudl find the time to just give a couple of hints etc i would be very grateful!
thank uuu!!!!

:smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Well I visited my brother several times, and marchmont is reaaaaaaaaally nice. Well I certainly liked staying there. I know its not much help. But im very picky and thought it was great, he thought so too. its self catering aswell.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 2
no that's great thank u! gives me somewhere to start lol
Reply 3
Salright. If you want I could ask him his opinions on any others as well. Next time I speak to him Ill ask for you!
Reply 4
Sorry its not called marchmont, thats the area its in, the place is warrender park cresent sorry lol.
Reply 5
yeh warrender park cresent is nice, but a bit out of it (not badly tho!). Just check out the other thread, I really can't be bothered saying CHOSE DARROCH again.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=158038
Reply 6
IM GOING TO EDINBURGH TOO!

what are you going to study?

I went to edinburgh the other week there and I had a nosey around the accomodation with my mum. To be totally honest, and I know you wont want to hear this but... they are all basically the same. They all have their cleaning facilities etc, same rooms ie with a bed, desk, shelves, bedside table. the only major difference is their location. plus, i dont think you really get your choice anyway and edinburgh are quite awkward over changing if you dont like your original offer.

i think wherever you go it will only ever be what you make it!

are you going to an applicant visit day?
Reply 7
if your a first year arts person all your lectures will be around the george square area, there are uni flats right next to there i think they are called cheynes or something (i was a pollock girl). If you apply for flats you will get the ones you wanted if you apply for catered like pollock you might get what you want and if you dont you get shunted to where ever is free!
Reply 8
what accomodation is closest to old college, i'll be studying law, and also confused about where to choose!
drmoney89
what accomodation is closest to old college, i'll be studying law, and also confused about where to choose!

http://www.accom.ed.ac.uk/accom_info/maps/accomm_locations_20_May_2005.pdf

Old college on there is the blue squarey thing with Chambers Street on the North and South Bridge to the East... So the nearest (self catering) flats to old college are...

Darroch Court
New Arthur Place
College Wynd
Kincaid's Court
Robertson's Close (literally just over the road)

Any of those would be between 2 and 7 mins walk away.. and to be fair any of the others wouldn't be more than 15 mins walk away. The accom in Edinburgh really is very nice and central
Reply 10
ah thank you very mcuh, whichn out of the ones you lsited are nicest? in your opinion at least.
drmoney89
ah thank you very mcuh, whichn out of the ones you lsited are nicest? in your opinion at least.

I really don't know... I didn't go into uni accom. The general consensus is that Darroch Court is the best...

I've only been to Robertson's Close though, and all though the rooms are tiny.. the kitchen was new and it all seemed perfectly habitable!

Sorry I can't be of more use!

Edit.. and to be fair, you'll spend more of your time in lecture theatres in George Square than in Old College, where you'll perhaps have 1 tutorial a week or something I'd guess.
Reply 12
oh ok, any equidistant accomodation to the both of those?
drmoney89
oh ok, any equidistant accomodation to the both of those?

They're about a 3-4 minute walk apart... Anywhere in the centre is convenient really!
Reply 14
Do you think it's easier to make friends living in Pollock or in the flats, or is it much of a muchness?
Reply 15
thanks for the responses guys..r any of those ensuite? i would really prefer en suite , room..can i find that in a uni accomodation within reasoanble distance from Old college?
drmoney89
thanks for the responses guys..r any of those ensuite? i would really prefer en suite , room..can i find that in a uni accomodation within reasoanble distance from Old college?

I *think* the only en-suite rooms are in Pollock, and therefore catered.
Reply 17
They should have seriously considered having some en-suite self-catered like other unis. I really wanted en-suite self catered but meh - I guess I'll have to see other persons body hair floating in plug holes >_< Lol... Nah - I'm just bothered about waiting for a pee...
brewisk
hey,

i know that there's probably lots of other threads with accommodation as a subject but i'm about to accept Edinburgh as my 1st choice ( sept 06 rock on! :smile: ) but i really havent a clue as to which accommodation's the best. i would like to go self catering and the flats appeal to me but the website doesnt go into that much detail as to where they're situated etc so if anyone coudl find the time to just give a couple of hints etc i would be very grateful!
thank uuu!!!!

:smile:

hey Im putting Edinburgh as my insurance choice and am currently looking at accomodation. Studying Geology i want to be near both campuses and self catered. I picked up last years brochure at a visit day but i think it will probably be on the website. Some of the flats are a lot nearer George Square campus which i think is too far to walk to the King Campus. So im am currently looking at Blackwood crescent, warrender Park road and crescent. Does anybody know what these are like?
x
Also does any one know if the electric is included in the flats?
Reply 19
Costs include all bills including resnet (if the accommodation has resnet)

Latest

Trending

Trending