The Student Room Group

Still waiting on UCAS responses - accomodation worries?

I have one offer at the moment but still waiting on a response on the rest. It won't allow me to accept the offer I have either? I'm a bit worried about applying for accommodation and student loan funding due to this - I'm still unsure if i'll get offers from any other uni so i'm not sure where i'll end up going! but i'm worried time is running out for me to find anywhere. Is it too late?
Reply 1
never too late there will always be accommodation available! some places let you book and agree to give deposit back if you end up going to a different uni. if you have a specific accom you'd like to live in I'd say get in contact with them and see what they say but I'd say don't stress i ended up booking accom for my undergrad first year in August
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 2
Original post by octooobah
I have one offer at the moment but still waiting on a response on the rest. It won't allow me to accept the offer I have either? I'm a bit worried about applying for accommodation and student loan funding due to this - I'm still unsure if i'll get offers from any other uni so i'm not sure where i'll end up going! but i'm worried time is running out for me to find anywhere. Is it too late?

You can't accept an offer on Ucas until you've had decisions from all the universities you've applied to. If you applied by 31st January, universities have until 16th May to make their decision. If you're not prepared to wait, you can withdraw your application from the specific universities that haven't decided (but be careful not to withdraw from Ucas completely!) -- but that's probably not a good idea.

My understanding is that you can submit your student finance application before you know what university you're going to, and you can update which university you're going to if that changes.

You'll need to check the individual universities' accommodation pages to understand what their application deadlines are, and how they allocate accommodation.

Original post by Anpx
never too late there will always be accommodation available! some places let you book and agree to give deposit back if you end up going to a different uni. if you have a specific accom you'd like to live in I'd say get in contact with them and see what they say

Some university town/cities have been having problems in recent years with accommodating students -- the supply of student accommodation has not kept up with the rate at which universities have increased their student numbers.

You can safely assume that an application through a university's accommodation office as a Ucas applicant will be conditional on your gaining a place at that university -- but that won't be the case if you're applying in the private rental market.

Hi!

I'd recommend having a look at the universities policy. At Heriot-Watt we offer an accommodation guarantee for all new full-time students and therefore maybe other universities do too. This might help you feel a little more relaxed when it comes to the accommodation :smile:

As for student finance, you can apply before you have a university chosen and then just update it when you finalise a place. People go through clearing every year and have to change it then, so you can change it after A-level results have been given out if needed.

I hope this helps!

- Jessica
2nd year, Computer Science (Artificial Intelligence)
Some Unis use 'accommodation' as a lever to get you to Firm them early - don't fall for this trick.

You are not going to be homeless, there is plenty of 1st year accommodation to go around and the vast majority of Universities do not use any sort of 'first come, first served' system. Most dont actually allocate rooms until after Results Day so the idea that you need to go into a flat-spin over this right now is all a bit silly.

The vast majority of applicants do not even have all 5 decisions back yet, so there really isnt the rush that some Unis will try to convince you exists. And if they really need to bribe applicants with 'special offers' to get them to go there, start asking yourself why they have problems recruiting students and why they need to do this.

Hi there,

The deadline for all universities to respond to you is the 16th of May and usually of you sort your student finance out by the end of may it is guaranteed to be with you in September so don't worry about the student finance as you should be able to sort this as soon as you receive all of your offers and it should still get to you in time.

As for accommodation, I would look into this with each individual university as they all have different ways that they sort accommodation- some you pick straight away, some later on and some you just put a rank on which ones would be your top choices and this gets allocated further down the line. So don't worry about this too much until you have looked into each specific policy.

I hope this helps,

Lucy -SHU student ambassador.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending