The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Because some people aren't gullible anymore.
Reply 2
Cate
Because some people aren't gullible anymore.

Yeah, that.
Reply 3
I've gone one step further. I don't even believe in Santa Claus any more. Genesis indeed! I thought they were a (old) band.
Reply 4
Howard
I've gone one step further. I don't even believe in Santa Claus any more. Genesis indeed! I thought they were a (old) band.

Hahaha!
I agree, bit presumptuous to say you *know* something, isn't it?
Reply 6
I just choose to be agnostic, I don't claim to have a clue either way. There are a lot of people on this board who are intellectually arrogant about their atheism/agnosticsm though, I'll admit that.
To a certain extent It might have helped us survive (even) as a race - we as a species naturally fear what we don't understand. Might have kept us away from danger in the past.
Reply 8
CUTIE18
After visiting this site on numerous occasions i have came up with the conclusion that sooooo many people out there do not believe in God or the Bible!!!!!

Im finding it hard to understand why!!!! People talk about the so called big bang, which never happened!!!!

If you have any queries why not look up "the Bible" on the Internet and read Genesis chapter 1!!!

The world was created in six days 6000 years ago. Everyone believes that, surely? :rolleyes:
Tek
The world was created in six days 6000 years ago. Everyone believes that, surely? :rolleyes:

:smile:
kildare
I just choose to be agnostic, I don't claim to have a clue either way. There are a lot of people on this board who are intellectually arrogant about their atheism/agnosticsm though, I'll admit that.

I'm agnostic and I guess I'm a bit arrogant about it, but I don't try and force my ideas on other people. I just believe that the arguments towards atheism and agnosticsm are so much more logical than the theist ones, and that if the theists thought logically rather than with blind faith they would seriously question their beliefs.
if Genisis is correct then Harry Potter must be Jesus in his 2nd coming
Reply 12
Society gradually through time has become more intelligent and been able to understand more phneomena such as solar eclipses where perviously they had no explanation and turned to god, and similar things happen with a large number of things, religion also brings hope, ie when you die there is a good place to go afterwards, that brings hope that things will get better, all of these things are not needed as much in our modern society, religion isnt a bad thing, its just not needed by as many people thses days, we have more logical ways of explaining things
Reply 13
Read this and see what you can come up with next!!!

Many historians (of many different religious persuasions—including atheistic) have shown that modern science started to flourish only in largely Christian Europe. These historians point out that the basis of modern science depends on the assumption that the universe was made by a rational creator. An orderly universe makes perfect sense only if it were made by an orderly Creator. But if there is no creator, or if Zeus and his gang were in charge, why should there be any order at all? So, not only is a strong Christian belief not an obstacle to science, such a belief was its very foundation. (See also a refutation of the argument.

However, after the rise of old-age beliefs, some scientists caved in and ‘re-interpreted’ the Bible to fit them. For example, some claimed that the days in Genesis 1 were really ages, and that Noah’s Flood was one of many catastrophes. For proof that such ‘re-interpretions’ are fallacious

They may have meant well, but their faulty model was an easy target for Darwin. For example, Darwin pointed out that the fashionable theory—that each species had been independently created in their current location—made little sense of his observations that island species were often similar to those of the nearest continent. But his observations fit perfectly with the true biblical view that there was a global Flood, and animals migrated from Ararat to the islands via the neighbouring mainland.

This should be a lesson for those today who teach that Christians should compromise the plain meaning of the Bible to fit with ‘science’. Aside from placing fallible human opinion as an authority above the infallible Word of God, it just doesn’t work and paves the way for more departure from Scripture.

www.answersingenesis.org
Reply 14
what i don't understand is why people seem to think that 'evidence' is the only way of knowing something?! Faith, in terms of epistemology, is a perfectly valid unit of understanding, just like logic, perception and trust. Personally i feel that it is ridiculous to dismiss science, but it is just as ridiculous to dismiss the supernatural. They CAN go together you know.
because people are intelligant enough to realise that the Bible is genrally bollocks and that religion does more harm than good.
Reply 16
it's best not to 'believe' anything, as no one knows for sure
Tinykates
it's best not to 'believe' anything, as no one knows for sure

true really, i don't really spend much attention on it because i really couldn't care less
Reply 18
CUTIE18

Many historians (of many different religious persuasions—including atheistic) have shown that modern science started to flourish only in largely Christian Europe. These historians point out that the basis of modern science depends on the assumption that the universe was made by a rational creator. An orderly universe makes perfect sense only if it were made by an orderly Creator. But if there is no creator, or if Zeus and his gang were in charge, why should there be any order at all? So, not only is a strong Christian belief not an obstacle to science, such a belief was its very foundation. (See also a refutation of the argument.

That was not very well thought out, you are trying to say that science is reliant on Christian thought? It may well have been the starting point to build science on but it did not require relgion as basic common sense can see the world is ordered and obeys certain rules (let's ignore chaos theory..)

'An orderly universer makes perfect sense only if it was made by an orderly creator' So essentially your arguing to the view that the world is designed. Does this require a creator? Is chance not a part of this - I would not be here to question it if it had been any other way!
Also, chaos theory suggests that it perhaps is not ordered (I think..) and lastly even if there is a creator this proves nothing about all the characteristics Christians associate with him.
Reply 19
CUTIE18

Many historians (of many different religious persuasions—including atheistic) have shown that modern science started to flourish only in largely Christian Europe.

What about the Chinese inventions? The Arabic astornomy? And "many"?

CUTIE18
These historians point out that the basis of modern science depends on the assumption that the universe was made by a rational creator.

No doubt the creator of choice would be the "scientist"'s creed's God.

CUTIE18
An orderly universe makes perfect sense only if it were made by an orderly Creator. But if there is no creator, or if Zeus and his gang were in charge, why should there be any order at all? So, not only is a strong Christian belief not an obstacle to science, such a belief was its very foundation.

Sorry, but this is bigotry at work. Heard of Big Bang?

CUTIE18
However, after the rise of old-age beliefs, some scientists caved in and ‘re-interpreted’ the Bible to fit them. For example, some claimed that the days in Genesis 1 were really ages, and that Noah’s Flood was one of many catastrophes.

Bible and science do not often mix evenly. No true scientist would wish to "re-interpret" the bible. Only misguided bigots, who try to keep their creed alive.
CUTIE18
They may have meant well, but their faulty model was an easy target for Darwin. For example, Darwin pointed out that the fashionable theory—that each species had been independently created in their current location—made little sense of his observations that island species were often similar to those of the nearest continent. But his observations fit perfectly with the true biblical view that there was a global Flood, and animals migrated from Ararat to the islands via the neighbouring mainland.

Heard of evolution and the continental drift?

CUTIE18
This should be a lesson for those today who teach that Christians should compromise the plain meaning of the Bible to fit with ‘science’. Aside from placing fallible human opinion as an authority above the infallible Word of God, it just doesn’t work and paves the way for more departure from Scripture.

So whats right? Scientific evidence? Or "Bible"

This is really evenly balanced isn't it? No ulterior motives at all.

Latest

Trending

Trending