The Student Room Group

worrying about sixth form options...

Hi, i am going to be studying in sixth form next year and i have already picked my options. I am hoping to study international relations or business studies at university. I am however worried my options are too 'soft' and i am really worried about this. I have taken:
1. english language
2. politics and government
3. environmental studies
4. business studies

If anybody could help me out that would be great thanks...
Reply 1
Ideally you would take Maths for Business/Finance degree options. For International Relations, History would be useful. Politics and Economics also.

So for those two degrees I would suggest:

Maths, History, Politics, Economics

Of course you probably chose your options for a reason. So you should think carefully if you have the subjects you need and if you can get the grades you need before you change them.
Reply 2
Personally I don't think any A-level subject is a "soft" subject. You have to put a lot of effort into getting the grades you want for them all..
I'm in my final year at secondary school and have applied to do English Literature, Pyschology, Sociology and Law but I might change Law, idk yet.
With what I've heard, many people believe Sociology is a soft subject. I take it as a GCSE, it's not.

So my advice would be don't worry. I don't think any sixth form subjects are soft, people just assume they are.
Reply 3
I'd suggest Economics as well as Business; we always joke it's the more hardcore version of Business, but it is incredibly useful. If you're looking at a career in finance Maths will probably be helpful. And for IR Politics is a must, and History wouldn't be such a bad idea either.

Although you should ultimately do what you think you'll enjoy/be good at.
Original post by Safiya122
Personally I don't think any A-level subject is a "soft" subject. You have to put a lot of effort into getting the grades you want for them all..
I'm in my final year at secondary school and have applied to do English Literature, Pyschology, Sociology and Law but I might change Law, idk yet.
With what I've heard, many people believe Sociology is a soft subject. I take it as a GCSE, it's not.

So my advice would be don't worry. I don't think any sixth form subjects are soft, people just assume they are.

I don't think this is necessarily true, I work hard for all of my subejcts but there is no doubt that I find it much easier to get better grades in politics, which is less traditional than my three other subjects, History, English literature and History
Reply 5
All your subjects are mickey mouse subjects. Try English Lit or Maths.
Reply 6
^ Lol
Reply 7
Original post by pink pineapple
I don't think this is necessarily true, I work hard for all of my subejcts but there is no doubt that I find it much easier to get better grades in politics, which is less traditional than my three other subjects, History, English literature and History

But that doesn't mean that if you find one subject easier than another, it's a soft subject.

Quick Reply

Latest