The Student Room Group

I did the most retarded thing.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Big-Daddy
I do have to ask how you got through GCSEs and A-Levels without reading the instructions, and yet managed to luck out on not getting this situation earlier ... I always wonder why it happens to so few people.

I'd grown so used to reading instructions in school that I knew what to expect. I'd stopped reading them by yr 13. Also I actually showed up to class.

Turns out university is a bit different...
Reply 61
Original post by T-Toe
I had my first written exam yesterday and I did one of the most retarded things I've ever done. I didn't attend the revision lecture because I thought I could just go through the past paper by myself. I tend to ignore introduction sections on exam papers and dive straight into the exam questions. I didn't realise I was mean't to pick just ONE essay question. I answered EVERY essay question. I assumed the total marks were out of 100 so I thought 1 hour to write various essays was very harsh. I honestly thought the exam was mean't to be very difficult. I was writing like a mad man in the exam while most finished 10mins before the exam. I was wondering what I was doing wrong. I'd rushed every question so the essays weren't done to my best of my ability; I was rushing and panicking. All in all however each essay was decent. I feel I've wasted a lot of my energy, I studied really hard for nothing. Apparently my lecturer, during the revision session, answered the exact same question that appeared in the actual exam paper - Eurgh!

People after the exam were talking about how easy the exam was, I remained completely silent...

What do you think will happen? What should I do?

Thanks.

which degree do you do and what year are you in?
I'm struggling to see what the point of this thread is - all we can give is guesswork based on what happens elsewhere. The best thing to do would be to talk to someone who can tell you what the university policy is, not students on an online forum.
Reply 63
Original post by magicmuggle
I'm struggling to see what the point of this thread is - all we can give is guesswork based on what happens elsewhere. The best thing to do would be to talk to someone who can tell you what the university policy is, not students on an online forum.

I didn't know what to do. I also wanted encouragement and similar experiences.

I called the undergrad office and they said their policy is to mark the first essay (which luckily I'd spent more time on).
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 64
Original post by newts2k
which degree do you do and what year are you in?

Biochemistry, 1st year.
Reply 65
Original post by T-Toe
Biochemistry, 1st year.

oh first year...no problem you'll be fine, don't really have to do much to pass
Reply 66
Everyone is under pressure in exams and even though it's a dumb thing to do, people do this sort of thing all the time. You'll probably have to resit, OP, unless your brief essay was good enough to pass...

I personally dread the part before the exam actually begins. In A-level and GCSE I was always forgetting my student and centre number and in one of my uni exams I freaked out because I could remember my student PIN but not my last name :s-smilie:
Original post by T-Toe
I tend to be very hard on myself.

My mum said being able to read exam questions properly is probably the most important exam skill. If I cannot achieve a basic task, the examiners might not take me seriously.

I accidentally positive rep'd this, sorry
Reply 68
Original post by I'mBadAtMaths
I accidentally positive rep'd this, sorry

Kill me now.

How are your exams going? What are you aiming for this year?
Original post by T-Toe
Kill me now.

How are your exams going? What are you aiming for this year?

I've not started exams yet, they're in late June. I'll be aiming for a 1st overall, since I managed to do pretty well in January.

What are you aiming for?
Reply 70
Original post by T-Toe
I had my first written exam yesterday and I did one of the most retarded things I've ever done. I didn't attend the revision lecture because I thought I could just go through the past paper by myself. I tend to ignore introduction sections on exam papers and dive straight into the exam questions. I didn't realise I was mean't to pick just ONE essay question. I answered EVERY essay question. I assumed the total marks were out of 100 so I thought 1 hour to write various essays was very harsh. I honestly thought the exam was mean't to be very difficult. I was writing like a mad man in the exam while most finished 10mins before the exam. I was wondering what I was doing wrong. I'd rushed every question so the essays weren't done to my best of my ability; I was rushing and panicking. All in all however each essay was decent. I feel I've wasted a lot of my energy, I studied really hard for nothing. Apparently my lecturer, during the revision session, answered the exact same question that appeared in the actual exam paper - Eurgh!

People after the exam were talking about how easy the exam was, I remained completely silent...

Thanks.

I wouldn't worry too much. I've done the exact same thing on my Eng Lit paper, and not nearly as well as you managed to do (I'm a slow writer, ran out of time and didn't spend enough attention on either piece due to trying to get them both done) and still managed to get an A over all. It happens, trust me. Just look at it as a learning experience - I am now extremely careful about exam instructions. :wink:
Original post by madders94
I would try and say something reassuring, but your misuse of that word annoyed me so I'm going to say, I hope they give you 0. :no:

Lovely.

I think people are being too harsh on OP. She made a mistake - these things happen, especially during exam time when people are under massive pressure.
OP - they'll probably mark the first essay and ignore the rest, but if you're really worried, contact your lecturer, that way you'll be sure what's happening.
Original post by T-Toe
The situation isn't bad as it sounds. My exam wasn't like a humanities' essay where they expect you to write a lot. They expect you to make your work as concise and straight to the point as possible. Also the essay was on section B. Scection A of the paper was fine. Only 2/5 of the given page(s) should be filled really (which was 1 sheet back to back) but I filled in the whole sheet. My university seem to give candidates a lot of marks for answering one question so I thought a 12 mark question would mean I didn't have to write much hence why I answered all questions.

I'm a first year so my exams this year account for very little. It makes little sense to resit the exam when the exam doesn't contribute to my final degree classification. It was a mistake, I believe we're all prone to making mistakes.

Not to toot my own horn but I can still get a good first this year even if I get a really low mark in that paper.

You're doing a degree in Chemistry, right ?
Reply 73
I've not started exams yet, they're in late June. I'll be aiming for a 1st overall, since I managed to do pretty well in January.

What are you aiming for?

A 1st too. Good luck :smile:
Reply 74
Original post by Ari Ben Canaan
You're doing a degree in Chemistry, right ?

Biochemistry. It was a biochemistry exam hence why I wanted to do well in it.
Reply 75
Original post by T-Toe

Thanks.

That is indeed a retarded thing...but hopefully if you're in the first year, it's a lesson well learn and won't really cost you anything.
Reply 76
i hope you put the question number next to each other, depending on exam board and the subject they will either mark the first question and give you what ever you got ignoring the rest of the paper

or they will mark each and every question and award you the highest mark nothing to worry about
Original post by T-Toe
A 1st too. Good luck :smile:

Where do you study? What were the questions like in the exam?
Reply 78
Original post by T-Toe
If I don't get the 80% I'll just resit it.

I thought resitting an exam was to get 40% and you couldn't get higher than that. Otherwise people could retake exams and improve their mark all the time which wouldn't be fair?
Reply 79
Where do you study? What were the questions like in the exam?

The same course as you hence why I was inquisitive.

The questions were pretty basic (e.g draw glycine) had I'd done the exam properly, I'd have done really well.

Tbh, I'm finding 1st year really easy. That's probably the reason why I lack a lot of motivation. I'm actually looking forward to second year.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending