The Student Room Group

If I get bad AS results would resitting them be okay? :'(

Scroll to see replies

How does newcastle uni feel about resits (for economics) - P
Reply 21
Original post by hippyhaze
I've got my last exam coming up and I cant stop thinking about my results. My exams so far were alright but I know the chances of getting any As are out of the window which makes me feel really upset. I'm not really someone who does terrible in exams (my GCSES were pretty good) but now I feel horrible heh

I know I'm going to resit a few if I want to get into the Universities of my dreams heh (so cheesy) but yeah..would resitting be a bad thing? Should I just go to a whole new school? :frown: I bet I seem so dramatic heh but I worry ALOT.

Anyone in the same situation so we can all cry together? heh. :')
OR has anyone been in that situation and can give me some hope :smile:

Yo hippy y do you think getting As are out of the window what happened
Original post by lou_100
With all do respect, just because you "know a girl who re-sat" does not necessarily mean you know for a fact Oxbridge have leniency towards re-taking AS exams.

And most people only re-take AS exams unless they re-do the year or do an exam in both January and June in A2 year. Because people leave school after their final exams.. there is no time to re-take.

I'm not trolling, I'm not making things up to make my answer look more legitimate. I am genuinely saying someone from both Oxford and Cambridge admissions teams came to my college, and they did without a single doubt say straight out to our faces that they don't like re-sits. And that is the truth of that.

Now perhaps I should rectify my previous answer. I based my previous answer of "they will strike you off their lists" purely on a paraphrase which came directly from these admissions tutors' mouths. So, as you can imagine, it's a shock to hear someone actually did get in on re-sits. I cannot help but imagine that there was some sort of special case. Whether there was a problem with teaching, number of places, less competition that year, illness during final exam, whatever.

Perhaps we should say that it severely reduces your chances, but cases in the past have managed it.

That's strange because I've visited both Oxford and cambridge and spoke to admissions staff where I was told they accept people have a bad day, and they rarely get applications from candidates who haven't resat one or two modules.

They say the fact of the matter is that people sometimes underperform, even if there are no circumstances, and unless retaking is a repretative act of the candidate, it won't seriously hinder their application.
guys you can count me in too
Reply 24
Original post by Juno
If you read the post that you quoted, you'll see that the girl who got a place did have some extenuating circumstances which Oxford may have taken into account.

"If you read that post"

Yes I read it. I just didn't understand the problem about switching teachers exactly. I said there must have been a special case and there was, so I am right..
Reply 25
Original post by milienhaus
I'm at Cambridge and there are plenty of people here who've resat a module or two. Don't scare people unnecessarily.

Mate it's a paraphrase from an admissions tutor.

Most colleges don't accept anyone who's retaken final A2s. From what the previous poster said, apparently there are cases of people who have managed to get in fine with AS resits. So, while I may be slightly off, my paraphrase from the admissions tutor is not. Just passing on what he said. :confused:

I will try and find an example...

Edit: Here we go

http://www.joh.cam.ac.uk:8080/does-john’s-accept-re-sits
"We are happy for applicants to re-sit individual A level modules, as long as this is done and the result included in their final A2 result. Please note, however, that we do not accept re-takes or re-sits of final examinations."

Also, this isn't in relation to Oxbridge but it applies to other universities. I can't remember exactly now but I think the original poster didn't actually ask about Oxbridge in particular?

"Policies often vary depending on the courses and resit bans are most common with courses such as medicine, law and dentistry.
However, those seeking to study chemistry at Durham, for instance, are warned that although they may still be accepted after resitting "we are looking for students who can pass exams at the first attempt".
At the University of Edinburgh, those applying for courses in humanities and social science are told: "resitting exams can put your application at a disadvantage."
The University of St Andrews warns all students it "expects all the qualifications detailed to be gained at the first diet of examinations". "

Trust me, I'm not trying to scare people. It's just an answer to the question. It goes without saying that the more demanding courses at the more popular universities will prefer someone who's done it first time round, not re-taken loads of modules.

Does this clarify my argument now?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 26
Original post by AspiringGenius
That's strange because I've visited both Oxford and cambridge and spoke to admissions staff where I was told they accept people have a bad day, and they rarely get applications from candidates who haven't resat one or two modules.

They say the fact of the matter is that people sometimes underperform, even if there are no circumstances, and unless retaking is a repretative act of the candidate, it won't seriously hinder their application.

We recognise that even the best students can have “bad” days and therefore we are not concerned if an applicant has retaken or is planning to retake a couple of units for which the results obtained are clearly “blips”.
We would be concerned about an applicant who seldom seems to have “good” days and is therefore retaking large numbers of units, unless this number of retakes was justified by circumstances beyond the applicant’s control explained in their UCAS reference.

Looks like they read you a paraphrase of their website haha. :tongue:

Literally just found this after extensive digging. So what I take that to mean is that if you get a bad result, or not as expected, and say you were ill or teachers agree they were surprised, Cambridge (from this site) is happy to understand the situation and accept a retake to prove you can actually do it well. Although they say that if you have no excuse, then they don't accept it.

Is that what you take it to mean? :/

I don't even know why I am entering this debate. Have absolutely no intention of applying to either :biggrin: Pretty ironic really... because I need to go revise now so I don't have to re-sit Psychology. :frown:
Reply 27
hey dude! dont worry..maybe you just had a bad day...Uni's usually understand if you resit to get a better grade. resitting one or two units would not be a problem. It shows that you care about your grades! all the best in taking your exams in jan :smile:
Reply 28
Original post by lou_100
With all do respect, just because you "know a girl who re-sat" does not necessarily mean you know for a fact Oxbridge have leniency towards re-taking AS exams.

And most people only re-take AS exams unless they re-do the year or do an exam in both January and June in A2 year. Because people leave school after their final exams.. there is no time to re-take.

I'm not trolling, I'm not making things up to make my answer look more legitimate. I am genuinely saying someone from both Oxford and Cambridge admissions teams came to my college, and they did without a single doubt say straight out to our faces that they don't like re-sits. And that is the truth of that.

Now perhaps I should rectify my previous answer. I based my previous answer of "they will strike you off their lists" purely on a paraphrase which came directly from these admissions tutors' mouths. So, as you can imagine, it's a shock to hear someone actually did get in on re-sits. I cannot help but imagine that there was some sort of special case. Whether there was a problem with teaching, number of places, less competition that year, illness during final exam, whatever.

Perhaps we should say that it severely reduces your chances, but cases in the past have managed it.

I think perhaps Oxbridge don't mind if you re-take AS levels as long as you have a special case (that was sort of what I was saying above). If you just simply did nnot do as well as you had hoped, then it may well be a different story, like you said. I know that it did not reduce the girl's chances because her teachers wrote a reference explaining why she did not get the result and that she had been predicted to achieve a much higher grade, so it could well severely reduce your chances of getting in if you don't have that reference because you simply did not do as well as you had hoped. :smile:
Original post by lou_100
We recognise that even the best students can have “bad” days and therefore we are not concerned if an applicant has retaken or is planning to retake a couple of units for which the results obtained are clearly “blips”.
We would be concerned about an applicant who seldom seems to have “good” days and is therefore retaking large numbers of units, unless this number of retakes was justified by circumstances beyond the applicant’s control explained in their UCAS reference.

Looks like they read you a paraphrase of their website haha. :tongue:

Literally just found this after extensive digging. So what I take that to mean is that if you get a bad result, or not as expected, and say you were ill or teachers agree they were surprised, Cambridge (from this site) is happy to understand the situation and accept a retake to prove you can actually do it well. Although they say that if you have no excuse, then they don't accept it.

Is that what you take it to mean? :/

I don't even know why I am entering this debate. Have absolutely no intention of applying to either :biggrin: Pretty ironic really... because I need to go revise now so I don't have to re-sit Psychology. :frown:

When I heard it I thought they were quoting their website! :lol: but the truth is they say what they mean. If they weren't going to accept resits, they would make it heard on their websites, like Churchill College openly say law candidates aren't likely to get an offer if they have less than 9A*s, and 4 full A Levels at A/A*. They want the best candidates and having a bad day makes you human, not incompetent.

Don't worry, you can enter the debate, I am an AS level student who has just sat all of his exams and is well aware of the fact that I failed at least one. Perhaps my argument is influenced by my desire to hope I haven't severly damaged my hopes of getting into Medicine

:moon:

good luck with physcology :smile:
Reply 30
Original post by AspiringGenius
When I heard it I thought they were quoting their website! :lol: but the truth is they say what they mean. If they weren't going to accept resits, they would make it heard on their websites, like Churchill College openly say law candidates aren't likely to get an offer if they have less than 9A*s, and 4 full A Levels at A/A*. They want the best candidates and having a bad day makes you human, not incompetent.

Don't worry, you can enter the debate, I am an AS level student who has just sat all of his exams and is well aware of the fact that I failed at least one. Perhaps my argument is influenced by my desire to hope I haven't severly damaged my hopes of getting into Medicine

:moon:

good luck with physcology :smile:

Paha I'm sure you haven't failed any. Positive thinking!

And thank you :smile: Last exam here I come then I'm FREE for summer YAY. Well... for a week until I have to go back and start A2. Damnit.
Original post by lou_100
Paha I'm sure you haven't failed any. Positive thinking!

And thank you :smile: Last exam here I come then I'm FREE for summer YAY. Well... for a week until I have to go back and start A2. Damnit.

oh I was ill in chemistry, nearly vommed on the paper. I can't expect myself to get any higher than a U so I am set to retake that exam.

i know the feeling, but I don't know what to do with myself. This sounds strange but because Chemistry was my last one, i feel like I haven't earnt any enjoyment (I sound like a study whore here...) so I'm interloping between relaxing and starting A2s... :s
Reply 32
Hey,

I'm doing A2 atm and have been through the 'not so good AS results' moment last summer.

It's very easy just to brush off your AS results, even if they are particularly bad, because you have a whole year to rectify them.

In answer to your question, yes of course you can resit - obviously at a cost and at sacrifice of January time that is usually used for A2 mock exams. However, if it's necessary you will have two different chances to resit (january and may/june). Clearly, though, it is better to do well the first time round.

If I had a message to anyone doing AS levels at the moment it would be - REVISE! It's easy not to worry too much but it's much nicer to be able to present nice grades to universities come November when you're sending off your application.

Try not to worry - just do your best. Always a chance to do better next time!

Unless you're going into medicince... then you're stuffed.
Reply 33
Original post by lou_100
Oh don't worry. I was so confident before my exams thinking yeah I reckon I can get all my predicted grades!

Now I've taken the exams, I want to cry. My last is tuesday. B-r-i-c-k-i-n-g it.

I think we've done better than we think though :smile: Positive thinking and all... :biggrin:

I wouldn't worry too much until results day. Then you can sit down (perhaps with a friend or parent/relative for support) and look at all your UMS marks in different papers and overall grades and work out if you want to resit anything and if so, what would be best to resit.

It's only top universities like Oxbridge (definitely) and possibly one or two others that care about resits. Everyone else doesn't care as long as you get there in the end, so don't worry about it too much yet. Promise :biggrin:

Hahaha that is pretty reassuring :smile: Im not aiming for Oxbridge heh I know my boundaries :')
Reply 34
Original post by likeasong
Hey,

I'm doing A2 atm and have been through the 'not so good AS results' moment last summer.

It's very easy just to brush off your AS results, even if they are particularly bad, because you have a whole year to rectify them.

In answer to your question, yes of course you can resit - obviously at a cost and at sacrifice of January time that is usually used for A2 mock exams. However, if it's necessary you will have two different chances to resit (january and may/june). Clearly, though, it is better to do well the first time round.

If I had a message to anyone doing AS levels at the moment it would be - REVISE! It's easy not to worry too much but it's much nicer to be able to present nice grades to universities come November when you're sending off your application.

Try not to worry - just do your best. Always a chance to do better next time!

Unless you're going into medicince... then you're stuffed.

Hahaha arwh thanks thats pretty reassuring :smile: I mean yeah I would of liked to have gotten good grades straightaway but I guess for some people things take time heh

And thankfully I'm not doing medicine :') heh
Reply 35
Original post by J.Star
I'm in exactly the same position as you. Last exam coming up, clever student, good GCSE's, didn't do too badly in the AS exams but knows there is no chance of getting A's.

If you can find a centre in your area to do retakes, then I would recommend that. I know for a fact I will not be getting the A's I need, so I'm going to retake the modules that I've done worst in, in January.

Good luck for you last exam :smile:

Hahaha you too...I hope you ace them second time round :smile:
Reply 36
Original post by Lfctv
Yo hippy y do you think getting As are out of the window what happened

They just werent good :'/ I didn't come out of them smiling heh , I fudged up timings-especially for History and I panicked which just didn't help at all really heh

Gahhh :'(
Reply 37
Original post by lou_100
Perhaps if he has applied then he knows better than me, I'm sure.

But our college had the Cambridge and Oxford admissions heads (or people who were part of the admissions teams I can't quite remember if they were heads or not) visit our Higher Education talk evening a few months ago and both said resits will strike you off their list. They have better people who don't need to take resits and will accept them over you, and that's that. (That is what they said, not me).

We've always been told that all resits must be declared. This can be found on the UCAS website:
"All qualifications must be entered, even if you received an unsuccessful grade, if you are still waiting to take the final exams or if you are waiting for the results."

and

"If you're resitting a qualification you need to enter it twice: once as a completed qualification with the grade achieved and once as a qualification with the result 'Pending'."

So re-sits must be declared. Oxford may not have "asked" your friend for details about re-sits, but in order to provide a legitimate UCAS entry, they will have been needed to be declared and Oxford will have known about them. It's just simply part of the rules.

Source:http://www.ucas.com/students/applying/howtoapply/education/

Hippyhaze, don't take notice of this talk. I was just proving my point was legitimate. Pay attention to my first post :smile:

This is not strictly true.

When applying to Oxford you do not have to even declare your AS grades, it follows then that it is impossible for them to reject you based on your results if they don't even know what grades you achieved. And someone getting an A in a module may be unhappy and may decide to resit the exam to get a higher A. If they have not stated their A grade but state they are resitting the exam, it does not follow that they are sitting the exam because they have failed the exam, and therefore it would be hard for an admissions tutor to reject them based on this information alone.

I haven't got the source, but the information is readily available on the Cambridge website, the odd resit is not a problem. We all have bad days, they understand that. So again, a resit does not mean you're automatically rejected. And yes, with Cambridge you must submit all your modular exam results.

Edit: I see that you've read that the odd resit for Cambridge is fine :smile:.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 38
Original post by AK0001
This is not strictly true.

When applying to Oxford you do not have to even declare your AS grades, it follows then that it is impossible for them to reject you based on your results if they don't even know what grades you achieved. And someone getting an A in a module may be unhappy and may decide to resit the exam to get a higher A. If they have not stated their A grade but state they are resitting the exam, it does not follow that they are sitting the exam because they have failed the exam, and therefore it would be hard for an admissions tutor to reject them based on this information alone.

I haven't got the source, but the information is readily available on the Cambridge website, the odd resit is not a problem. We all have bad days, they understand that. So again, a resit does not mean you're automatically rejected. And yes, with Cambridge you must submit all your modular exam results.

Edit: I see that you've read that the odd resit for Cambridge is fine :smile:.

WHY WAS THIS NEGGED? If you think what I've said is wrong, then EXPLAIN to me why I'm wrong.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by lou_100
"we are looking for students who can pass exams at the first attempt".

They said pass for example if I get a B but retake to get higher as compared to another who gets a U and retakes to get an A. In the first case I still passed (B). I would assume that the retake would be justified right?

Also the admission tutors that came to your school represent a particular college right, therefore each college has there own add mission rules. Plus you not the only one who has had emission tutors speak to you if others have deemed it okay for one or two resits that shows it is dependent.

The case of resit for me depends on what you got in the first place, and thus may limit or disadvantage your application.

Quick Reply

Latest