The Student Room Group

Stories of how people have redeem themselves academically

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by abc:)
I know I'm just saying even with retakes a lot of people's grades don't go up much unless there was some good reason for them failing in the first place

say you were one or two marks/ums away from next grade up at AS, all you need to do is apply yourself just the little bit more and thats its youve gone up by a grade. i know the OP has to think realistically but have a lil faith dude :cool: !
Reply 41
Original post by YB101
Hmm I think we do the same subjects! Biology is what I need to get an A in from a C. Im currently on a high B however with a week to go until the exam what do you think is the best thing to do right now ? I have a giant advanced book that I read every now and then just to extend my knowledge but my problem seems to be understand what exam papers and asking me or overcomplicating the question. There are only 4 past papers on this exam board (OCR F215) and it is really worrying me seeing as I need to get AA in these exams D:

in the exact same position and ahh its scary to get AA, even though im on aqa, good luck! :smile:
Reply 42
Original post by ThumbsUp
in the exact same position and ahh its scary to get AA, even though im on aqa, good luck! :smile:

I've been optimistic pretty much since birth and I reckon you and I could both do this

maybe after endless sleepless night, caffeine overload and a increased drop in social outings however in the end I guess it would be good to say that we did it :biggrin: :colondollar:
Reply 43
After being told I couldn't fit Art into my AS timetable, I picked Geography instead. I didn't really want to do it, but it was the only choice I had. Throughout year 12 I was really behind, unmotivated and confused about the content. Target dropped from B to C, eventually to a D.
HOWEVER...
I got an A in all 3 modules, dropping only a couple of marks across the whole paper in the last module. My target is now an A* and I'm the second best in the year for Geography, behind the best by 2 marks :biggrin: I also love the subject, too.

:biggrin:
Reply 44
Original post by YB101
Hmm I think we do the same subjects! Biology is what I need to get an A in from a C. Im currently on a high B however with a week to go until the exam what do you think is the best thing to do right now ? I have a giant advanced book that I read every now and then just to extend my knowledge but my problem seems to be understand what exam papers and asking me or overcomplicating the question. There are only 4 past papers on this exam board (OCR F215) and it is really worrying me seeing as I need to get AA in these exams D:

What to do? Well, it depends on what you've done so far. The main thing is completing your revision of the syllabus, even if its going over everything. You might not remember it all fully, but the more practice you do the more you will. This is where past papers come in. Where questions crop up on a particular topic, maybe you won't have revised it too well but as you learn from your mistakes it'll still help you understand the topic even by getting questions wrong as long as you're looking at the mark scheme. Just MAKE SURE you get time to fit it past papers so you can see the way questions are structured.

This is the way I do it anyway, things might work differently for different people.
Reply 45
I seriously didn't bother with my GCSE's, I came out with all C's except for a D (In Music) and an E (Citizenship short-course). Continue to AS and as I only had one January exam (where we had a terrible teacher), I wasn't sure what to expect for June so didn't do as much as I should - I came out with CDD. Fast track to A2 and I got 3 A's, one of those was a resit for English Lit which I originally got a D in (but I still got 2 D's, one I resat, one I'm resitting - I put most of that down to poor exam technique, which judging by mocks I have sorted out). It's entirely possible to turn it around but it takes a lot of hard work :smile:

I always thought I was just crap at exams but at least I know I can do it!
I didn't do well in my A Levels because of circumstances beyond my control, so I struggled with A Levels as a result. Now I've just completed my foundation year at a Russel Group university, having achieved mostly 2:1s and a couple of 1sts. I look forward to starting my course in September and my personal tutor thinks that by the time I graduate, I will get a 2:1 or a 1st. So I have potential.

Just because you mess up along the way, doesn't mean you can't do well in the future, as long as you are hardworking, determined and ambitious.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by YB101
I'm studying Biology Chemistry and Psychology, predicted AAB to study B.Med at Manchester. No one has any ounce of faith in me which is making me angry yet determined to prove them wrong. But recently i'm starting to doubt I can do it. These stories are just what i need :smile:

I know how you feel - there were many people who doubted me, but I never give up. :smile:
Original post by AYO
i got BCC at AS, re-sat 4 exams in january and got the exact same grade on both my biology papers as i did at AS. then re-sat 2 more AS exams during the summer along with my other A2 exams. ended up with A*BB and i got into my first choice uni for Law.

i honestly, thought it was impossible, i didnt think it was do-able, most of my teachers and tutors encouraged me to apply to lower ranking unis cos they thought i wouldnt get the grades for the unis i wanted to go to but really, ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE. you can start off at AS with the worst grades ever and still making something of yourself, only thing standing in your way is yourself! there'll always be loads of negativity and teachers who want you to be "realistic" with your options, but you work your ass off and beleive me, it will pay off

I had the same issue, my teachers wanted me to go to any uni with seats to fill, all because they wanted to fill up their statistics for the 6th form prospectus. I refused, and now I'm at Russel Group uni.
DDE.

I've just completed a foundation year in Social Science.
Reply 50
Isaac Newton was average at school. He graduated from Cambridge without distinction or honors.

Any reasonably sane individual can make it in this world. Remember that.
:biggrin:
Original post by YB101
for example getting low AS/ high A2 grades
Just to keep levels of motivation high since i'm seriously starting to doubt myself. I have BBC as AS and i'm somehow meant to get to AAB for A2.

I'd just like to know how people came about situations like this :smile:

edit: I spelted "redeemed" wrong, don't hate on me :tongue:

Oh the irony
Reply 53
Got BBCC at A Level (needed ABB to meet my offer) and somehow got into uni, got 90% in my first exam, I'll edit on the 28th when I see if I passed the year to see if the fairytale continues.
Reply 54
Original post by manchesterunited15
Oh the irony

hahaha
Reply 55
I like to think I'm redeeming myself right now - I dropped out of college after achieving (ACbdU) in my exams when I was predicted A/B grades in them all - got the worst grades in the subjects I needed. For a long time, I was depressed that I'd let myself and everyone down. I have just applied to go back to college and resat a couple of exams via self teaching
I don't think I did we'll in my AS exams and suspect ill have to retake- do you guys know when I should apply to another college/sixth form??? There's no information on the sites...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending