The Student Room Group

Uni checklist

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Also I would suggest a flask! It sounds stupid but when you're revising for exams/doing last minute essays, the last thing you'll want to do is get up & make more tea, having it in a flask really helps! This especially helps if you're in the library and don't want to leave your stuff/give up your spot because you have to get a coffee :smile:

And a pyrex jug!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 41
Original post by Bobbler
Also I would suggest a flask! It sounds stupid but when you're revising for exams/doing last minute essays, the last thing you'll want to do is get up & make more tea, having it in a flask really helps! This especially helps if you're in the library and don't want to leave your stuff/give up your spot because you have to get a coffee :smile:

And a pyrex jug!

I've gone way over the top and bought a tea and coffee pot!! (as well as a flask) so I can pour myself constant cups of tea and coffee without having to leave my room. Talk about being over prepared haha
Reply 42
I love hot 'bottles of spirits' have been included on the check list :wink: :tongue:
Reply 43
Original post by cl_steele
I love hot 'bottles of spirits' have been included on the check list :wink: :tongue:

Make sure it's an expensive one, it'll be the last luxury spirit of the year :wink:
Reply 44
Original post by Bobbler
Make sure it's an expensive one, it'll be the last luxury spirit of the year :wink:

Touche :wink:
Reply 45
Touche :wink:

But for God's sake whatever you do, do NOT, i repeat NOT, get Dannoff vodka. It looks profesh, it is in fact basically lighter fluid. The only night I've never remembered anything and had my boyfriend had to carry me and hold me against the toilet was the night I drank Dannoff. And I only had a treble. You have been warned. :P
Original post by laura1234
It probably sounds really paranoid but on recomendation from one of my friends who has just finished her first year, she told to pack some tupperware boxes and sticky labels to put my food in to go in the fridge.

DO IT !! I learnt the hard way all my tupperware went missing :frown:
I'll just point out the not so obvious things and things I remember having to purchse in the first week due to me not thinking they were necessary

- Cutlery ( I forgot mine at home loool)
- Clippers (the forgotten beauty item as its not done very often)
- Lots of underpants (you may not have the time/money to always do washing)
- Full-Length mirror (some halls may just have a small from the chest upwards)
- White/Blue tac to stick things with (my poor flatmate had to share hers between 5 other people)
- Spatula (Eggs !!)
- Sellotape (again no one, including myself seemed to have this)
-Sticky notes (stick them everywhere you'll have a lot to remember)
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 48
Original post by Miss Trololol
Hello again guys! :biggrin:

Just figured out how to use Sky Drive so you can just view the file and download it directly to your PC rather than having to mess around with emails :smile:I've uploaded two versions so one of them should work for you. Let me know if you have any problems.

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=24C5D051D4D12355!356 - MS Office 97-2003 version

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=24c5d051d4d12355&id=24C5D051D4D12355!355 - MS Office 2010 version

Once the checklist has loaded up, just click "File" then "Download a copy" to your computer to edit where necessary.

Enjoy and Good luck everyone!

EDIT: Woah, I didn't realise that so many people would find this checklist useful! :biggrin:

Wow, I'm not even going to uni until next year, but you got some serious tekkers with Excel.
Original post by laura1234
It probably sounds really paranoid but on recomendation from one of my friends who has just finished her first year, she told to pack some tupperware boxes and sticky labels to put my food in to go in the fridge. She found it stopped people knicking her food (as it stops the 'I didn't know it was yours' excuse or food being moved and not being able to find it as it was all together in one container. It probably sounds a little strange but I think its a pretty good idea that I will definatley be using :smile:

You can never have enough tupperware, seriously.

Although I would refrain from writing your name on everything until you've been there a while and know whether there's actually a problem with theft. We had next to none - and to be honest, if nobody actually steals, it comes off as quite passive aggressive!
Original post by alexmagpie
You can never have enough tupperware, seriously.

Agreed. I had to sometimes wrap my food in cling film; as someone used to take up a stupid amount of room with their food.

Hehe, really it should be "bottle of rum" cos I won't drink anything else XD
Reply 52
Is there anyone else who hasn't thought at all about what they're taking? I suppose I've never been one to make big lists and be organised, but it seems a bit over the top to have a full checklist
Reply 53
Original post by Miss Trololol
I have a checklist I made in Excel, with space for tick boxes and everything. Lemme me know if you want a copy :smile:

hii pleaseeeee could i have a copy! :smile:
Reply 54
For the WHOLE list of what everyone will most likely need :smile:

Important Documents..

Accommodation Documents - (main)
Bank or Building Society Details - (main)
Driving License - (main)
Insurance Documents - (main)
National Insurance Card - (main)
NHS Medical Card - (If you want to change your GP to Stafford)
Passport - (main) If you haven’t got a driving licence you will need this of prove of age to get into the clubs.
Passport Photos - (main) you will need these on the first day when moving into your accommodation
P45 (If wanting a job) (You would not have one if you have never had a job)
Student Loans Company Documents - (main)
Your Offer from the University - (main)
TV License If you are buying one

Study Material
Text books related to your subject will save you spending £100s on books if you want them in your first week (beware some of the books they say to buy are available on the internet in .pdfs for free and the library normally contains the books you need.
A4 Ring Binders or Lever Arch Folders - (main)
Highlighters - (main)
Jotter or Reporter Pad - (main)
Lined Paper - (main)
Paper Clips
Pencils - (main)
Pens - (main)
Plastic Wallets - (main)
Post-it Notes - (main)
Ruler
Scissors
Sellotape
Stapler
Sticky-back Labels
White Tack - blue tack will stain walls and they will take it out of your deposit - (main)
Pins for notice board - (main)
Glue

Toiletries

Multivitamins - (FOR FRSHERS FLU)
Painkillers - (main)
Pill - (main)
Basic first aid kit - plasters, antiseptic wipes, bandages
Paracetamol - (main)
Some cold/flu remedy - (FOR FRSHERS FLU)
Nurofen.
Anti-allergy pills - main (if you need them)
A cold/hot pack
Condoms (main) (Although you can get some for free from the nurse that visits the accommodation office.

Bedding Halls of Residence don’t supply your bedding

Blanket - (main)
Duvet - (main)
Duvet Cover - (main)
Mattress Protector
Pillow Cases - (main)
Pillows - (main)
Sheets - (main)

Kitchen

Wilkinsons/Asda

Knives, forks and spoons x4 - (main)
Plates x2 - (main)
Bowls x2 - (main)
Plastic Cups LOTS - you will be moving around all the time - don’t want to lose your new cups do you? Also better to drink alcohol from when drunk- (main)
Mugs x2 - (main)
Corkscrew / bottle opener - (main)
Small frying pan - (main)
Saucepan 1x small 1x large (with lids) - (main)
Sieve / Drainer
Chopping board
Chopping Knives - (main)
Tin opener - (main)
Peeler
Grater - (main)
Large Wooden spoon - (main)
Spatula
Basic foods (e.g. tea, coffee, sugar, cooking oil, salt, pepper etc) - (main)
Pasta
Sandwich bags - (main)
Plastic boxes with lids - (main)
Cling film (main) - To save explosions in the microwave
Tin foil - (main) This will slowly take over being your baking tray to save washing up
Tea towel - (main)
Oven glove - (main)
Washing up stuff - (main)
Kitchen Towel - (main)
Febreeze (main)
Baking Tray - (main)

Laundry

Laundry bag - (main)
Washing power/liquid/tablets - (main)
Colour catchers (main)
Spare change - (main)

Computer Equipment

Computer/Laptop - (main)
Laptop Bag
USB Pen - (main)
Printer - (main) Get a cheap one which will save you from using the library printers which charge you. Epsons are recommended as compatible ink is dirt cheap.

Other

Alarm Clock - (main)
Batteries
Calculator - (main)
Camera - (main)
DVD Player
Extension leads - (main)
Hair Dryer - (main)
Hair Straighteners/Curling Tongs - (main)
Mobile Phone - (main)
MP3 Player/IPod
Loud speakers
Television with a ariel with booster (hard to get signal sometimes)
Long Ethernet cable - (main) - The halls sometimes supply these but they may not be long enough to reach your bed.

Decorative

Cushions
Photos - (main)
Posters - (main)

Bathroom

Bath mat - (main)
Bath and hand towels (+ possibly a flanel) - (main)
Basket for shower supplies
Wash bag - (main)
Tolet Roll - (main)
Box of tissues - (main)
Toothbrush and toothpaste - (main)
Soap - (main)
Shower gel - (main)
Shampoo / Conditioner - (main)
Nail clippers - (main)
Deodorant - (main)
Hair gel (main)
Hair spray - (main)
Hairbrush (main)
Comb
Razor (main)
Shaving cream/gel - (main)
Febreeze - (main)
Coat hangers you may not get any in wardrobes - (main)
Dustpan and brush - for cleaning up the odd mess, although most unis should provide your flat with one.
Duster
Door wedge an open door in freshers week is much more friendly (main)
Ear Buds - (main) - To hear those lectures :P
Dental Floss - (main)

Clothing some are obvious but just incase! All are main things :smile:

Going out clothes
Going out shoes/ high heels/ pumps etc
Jeans
Dresses
Dressing gown
Slippers
T-shirts
Jumpers gets very cold in leeds in winter!
Trousers
Underwear - lots
Socks - lots
Shoes
Trainers
Flip flops for wearing in showers / communal wash areas this is if u have shared bathrooms! But also if you go swimming at the gym
Swimwear
Shirt and tie for any smart-casual events
Fancy Dress for Freshers week if you go or any other evening

Leisure

Board games - can get drinking ones - (main)
Pack of card always come in handy! (main)
Ball - rugby ball/football for friendly matches/made up games
Games consoles main a lot of people will play until 4am every night if not going out!
Fly swatter/Fly Spray (main)

Extra storage cardboard or plastic boxes for things which won’t fit anywhere else
Large suitcase to put things in when going home for the weekend
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by KCosmo
but it seems a bit over the top to have a full checklist

I'm a very forgetful person so a check list is just my personal preference :smile: At least if I have a checklist, I can tick things off as I pack.
Original post by ZeeAli
hii pleaseeeee could i have a copy! :smile:

There's a link to Skydrive on the first page where you can download it directly :smile:
Reply 57
Original post by KCosmo
Is there anyone else who hasn't thought at all about what they're taking? I suppose I've never been one to make big lists and be organised, but it seems a bit over the top to have a full checklist

checklists should only be used by pilots.

Im flying to uni (no other option), and havent thought about anything yet, so no worries :smile: whatever you forget can be bought there i guess
Original post by lubus
checklists should only be used by pilots.

Heh, it was my pilot big brother who suggest one :biggrin:
Reply 59
i made myself a checklist too, people keep saying 'just buy it when you're there if you forget' but my student loan doesn't live up to much; i can't afford to be buying everything!

my advice is to work on your parents now, if at all possible. i managed to get my mum to bring me clothes shopping, and she bought me new underwear, boots and a coat, and also paper and pens, so i don't have to buy that myself (yay!)

also look out for those 2-for-1 deals on things like body wash, deodorant etc, and the same on paper/pens/files, and stock up!
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending