The Student Room Group

Any questions for a QC?

Come Friday, as part of my assaignments during my work experience placement in a barrister's chambers I shall be conducting an interview with a QC:biggrin: (Silk barrister), if you have any questions surrounding the legal profession that you have an urge to ask then reply my thread and I'll come back to you with a well informed answer...

absolutely anything from his work experience to his Law degree, his mini-pupilage to his pupilage, Law school to his Tenancy or even his silk , anything reply ASAP:p:D

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Ask him if he's got a pupillage available that doesn't require the stress of waiting, interviews, waiting, more interviews, and more waiting :wink:

Honestly though, I'd be interested to know if he thinks it would be a good idea to join the two legal professions into one, like what is done in America.
Interesting...what is you opinion on the broadness of the American Advocate? I'd imagine combining the work of a barrister and solicitor could become somewhat overwelming, but come to think of it we do have our Britsh equivalent in terms of the Paralegal as well as Solicitors getting Higher Rights of Audience (the ability to speak in a crown or magistrate court rather than instructing a barrister), the disparity between b's and s's is beginining to become less and less significant... nevertheless I shall be asking his opinion, Thanks:smile:

Oh and Doughty Street (my chambers) does offer a pupilage scheme at their Chancery Lane branch, but unfortunately I suspect it does:mad:
Reply 3
Personally, I'm completely against the idea of combining barristers and solicitors. I can see how it can be a good thing, because people don't have to worry about choosing the right course, and ending up being one of the 75% of people without a pupillage... but the problem is, I can only see the multinational firms as benefiting from it. They would have enough capital to bring in a lot more graduates specifically for advocacy, yet they will have them on salary tether. So instead of outsourcing to barristers, they have their own who work just as hard, but will be sacrificing more to the firms dividends. Of course, I do think that it is a good thing that Solicitors have Higher Rights of Audience, in particular for criminal law, because of the funding difficulty to be able to afford two different lawyers for a case. But once it goes into more "paper work" areas of law, the problems become more apparent since there is a need for both quality solicitor skills and quality barrister skills, but if someone is doing both jobs, then they will get less experiance in both particular skill sets.

I'll look forward to seeing what the QC says! :tongue:
Would be interesting to see his take on whether doing a law degree is an advantage over other subjects, for any potential applicants! :smile:
Original post by I love the Bar!

Oh and Doughty Street (my chambers) does offer a pupilage scheme at their Chancery Lane branch, but unfortunately I suspect it does:mad:

Whilst I am really not the type of person to pick up on grammar and vocabulary on internet forums, if you have any aspirations of becoming a barrister it's a good idea to learn how to spell pupillage.

I love the Bar!
we do have our Britsh equivalent in terms of the Paralegal
I don't see how the paralegal role is equivalent to the combined lawyer role found in the US.
Please ask him what degree he did, at which uni, and what degree classification he came out with. Also, you could ask him how he found the BPTC in terms of difficulty in comparison to his prior degree. Thanks :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by KnowstheLaw
Please ask him what degree he did, at which uni, and what degree classification he came out with. Also, you could ask him how he found the BPTC in terms of difficulty in comparison to his prior degree. Thanks :smile:

If he's a QC he won't have done the BPTC unfortunately. Think he'll have done something at the old Inns of Court school of Law but someone more in the know (Nulli maybe) can probably clarify.

You can see each of those, or work it out, other than the degree class on their website.

eg. we can see Kirsty Brimelow did Law at Birmingham or take a good guess that Gavin Millar went to Oxford as his degree is both a BA and Jurisprudence not Law.

It's also useful to look at the more recent calls, as the Bar's changed a lot and, simply through not having practised much yet but having done a lot of education, there's more educational info this guy and this woman are 2010 calls.

Be interesting to know the QC's grade though, given I reckon Chambers like Doughty rarely recruit with less than a First now.
Original post by roh
Be interesting to know the QC's grade though, given I reckon Chambers like Doughty rarely recruit with less than a First now.

Absolutely, I doubt I even need to ask the barrister his grade, you are correct in saying that any less than a first or at least a 2:1 is inadequate for a chambers such as Doughty Street, how do I know? Well I subscribe to Lawyer2B magazine and their career guide confirms that...
Minimum UCAS points: 360
Minimum degree classification: 2:1

I hope that answers your question :smile:
Reply 9
Absolutely, I doubt I even need to ask the barrister his grade, you are correct in saying that any less than a first or at least a 2:1 is inadequate for a chambers such as Doughty Street, how do I know? Well I subscribe to Lawyer2B magazine and their career guide confirms that...

I think you're teaching your grandmother (well, grandfather) to suck eggs there. :p: I suspect that roh was referring to the prestige of the set making competition fierce - whilst it's possible for you to get in with a 2.1, in practice there are that many good applicants that you need a first to really stand out. :yes:
Original post by roh

QUOTE=Tortious;38678532]I think you're teaching your grandmother (well, grandfather) to suck eggs there. :p: :yes:

I doubt I am teaching my grandfather to suck eggs, you are probably unaware but Doughty and many similar Human Rights and Civil Liberties Chambers have an equal opportunities scheme that obliges them to sensor out the names of Unis- particularly Oxbridge+ Russell Group on applications for a pupillage/tenancy. Additionally they have officially published what I wrote above, one of the current pupils received a 2:1 in her Philosophy and Ethics degree, converted and within year or so will beginning her tenancy... perhaps she posses a spark that outweighs academic excellence ?:rolleyes:

Roh I hope that answered your question earlier,

However, lets get back to the heart of the matter- Any questions for a QC?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 12
I doubt I am teaching my grandfather to suck eggs, you are probably unaware but Doughty and many similar Human Rights and Civil Liberties Chambers have an equal opportunities scheme that obliges them to sensor out the names of Unis- particularly Oxbridge+ Russell Group on applications for a pupillage/tenancy. Additionally they have officially published what I wrote above, one of the current pupils received a 2:1 in her Philosophy and Ethics degree, converted and within year or so will beginning her tenancy... perhaps she posses a spark that outweighs academic excellence ?:rolleyes:

Roh I hope that answered your question earlier,

However, lets get back to the heart of the matter- Any questions for a QC?

Apologies - my comment was meant in jest, but it looks like I've touched a nerve. All I meant was that as a second year law student, I'd have expected roh to have done his research and to know that the stated minimum requirement is a 2.1 rather than a first. If you re-read my post, I said that it wasn't impossible to get in with a 2.1, but that a first would be a way of standing out.

Since I don't have any questions for you to ask, I'll leave you to it.
Original post by zaliack
Personally, I'm completely against the idea of combining barristers and solicitors. I can see how it can be a good thing, because people don't have to worry about choosing the right course, and ending up being one of the 75% of people without a pupillage... but the problem is, I can only see the multinational firms as benefiting from it. They would have enough capital to bring in a lot more graduates specifically for advocacy, yet they will have them on salary tether. So instead of outsourcing to barristers, they have their own who work just as hard, but will be sacrificing more to the firms dividends. Of course, I do think that it is a good thing that Solicitors have Higher Rights of Audience, in particular for criminal law, because of the funding difficulty to be able to afford two different lawyers for a case. But once it goes into more "paper work" areas of law, the problems become more apparent since there is a need for both quality solicitor skills and quality barrister skills, but if someone is doing both jobs, then they will get less experiance in both particular skill sets.

I'll look forward to seeing what the QC says! :tongue:

Can you ask him whether or not the university ones degree is from or the degree itself matters to chambers when one applies to chambers?

Also, how many solicitors does he/she know who have become QC's and how likely is it for a solicitor to become one?
Original post by roh

New to TSR... forgot to quote:tongue:

hope the above reply helps,

I will nonetheless ask his grade for you:smile:
Oops, quoted wrong person
Come Friday, as part of my assaignments during my work experience placement in a barrister's chambers I shall be conducting an interview with a QC:biggrin: (Silk barrister), if you have any questions surrounding the legal profession that you have an urge to ask then reply my thread and I'll come back to you with a well informed answer...

absolutely anything from his work experience to his Law degree, his mini-pupilage to his pupilage, Law school to his Tenancy or even his silk , anything reply ASAP:p:D

Can you ask him whether or not the university ones degree is from or the degree itself matters to chambers when one applies to chambers?

Also, how many solicitors does he/she know who have become QC's and how likely is it for a solicitor to become one?

Thanks
Original post by Tortious
Apologies - my comment was meant in jest, but it looks like I've touched a nerve. All I meant was that as a second year law student, I'd have expected roh to have done his research and to know that the stated minimum requirement is a 2.1 rather than a first. If you re-read my post, I said that it wasn't impossible to get in with a 2.1, but that a first would be a way of standing out.

Since I don't have any questions for you to ask, I'll leave you to it.

I hope you'll understand that it is difficult to translate the tone of one's expression through text, haha, you haven't struck a nerve..i am just terrible at conveying the suitable emotion :wink:

Roh, I wish you all possible success with your degree, go for that 1st :biggrin:, I've still a while till then... just completed hurdle 1...GCSE!... NEXT A-level...bring it on!!!!!
Reply 18
Original post by Use Err Name

Thanks

I looked this up a few months ago - there are only a handful of solicitor advocate QCs (about eight). :yes:
I hope you'll understand that it is difficult to translate the tone of one's expression through text, haha, you haven't struck a nerve..i am just terrible at conveying the suitable emotion :wink:

Roh, I wish you all possible success with your degree, go for that 1st :biggrin:, I've still a while till then... just completed hurdle 1...GCSE!... NEXT A-level...bring it on!!!!!

No problem. Best of luck with your results! :smile:
Original post by Use Err Name

Thanks

:biggrin: its funny you ask that as I am aware through my contact with the Chambers that they are obliged to sensor out the names of unis due to their equal opportunities scheme (common with Human Rights and Civil Liberties Chambers), but this is rare...for most Unis do count... the latter questions are very intriguing, I shall 'defo' be asking those.:biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending