The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by tasha96
There's not really any call for that he's only asking a question.:confused:

We don't have to do it at our school when we do highers OP. A lot of people can't fit it in anyway- for example all my highers except english are six periods which leaves me 1 period when I have PSE.
Could you speak to your pastoral head or your schools equivilent? Our's was quite cool about changing peoples around if they wanted it- lots of people asked for pe to be changed to study and vice versa.:smile:

Our school was quite lax about pe anyway though- since christmas this year a lot of us were allowed to just use the time to study. And if weren't doing that we were playing rounders! Very productive.:lol:

Sounds really good! I asked when I was sitting my standard grades in S3, but my guidance teacher said, "We are not in a position to let you drop PE." I think I kind of emphasised the "oh I'm really not coping I need this time to study" a bit too much as he emailed all my teachers saying I wasn't coping with the work load :lol:

It was so embarrassing!
(and thanks for the supportive first bit you wrote :biggrin:)

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 41
Original post by ilovefashion90
lol. peak.

Yep :/ I just get endless notes from my mum about my "ingrown toenail." It's a good one because they never ask to see it! :biggrin:

Original post by anthonyfl
Yep :/ I just get endless notes from my mum about my "ingrown toenail." It's a good one because they never ask to see it! :biggrin:

loool. my p.e teacher couldn't even spell "bored". It wasnt hard writing convincing fake notes for her. P.e teachers cant do **** apart from give a "detention" that no one would ever attend.
Reply 43
Original post by ilovefashion90
loool. my p.e teacher couldn't even spell "bored". It wasnt hard writing convincing fake notes for her. P.e teachers cant do **** apart from give a "detention" that no one would ever attend.

Too right, wish I had a good teacher though! There's these two/three teachers I really don't want next year because they NEVER accept excuses :frown:

Sounds really good! I asked when I was sitting my standard grades in S3, but my guidance teacher said, "We are not in a position to let you drop PE." I think I kind of emphasised the "oh I'm really not coping I need this time to study" a bit too much as he emailed all my teachers saying I wasn't coping with the work load :lol:

It was so embarrassing!
(and thanks for the supportive first bit you wrote :biggrin:)

Oh no! That must have been so awkward!:teehee:

It's always worth a try. Do you know how many periods you have in the week that aren't certificate classes? If you don't have many you could always try and get them swapped for extra study or pse because you really, really feel you would benifit from it.:biggrin:

I know people at a school near me who had to do their SG exams in 3rd year as well. I know not all schools work the same , but I could always check with them tomorrow what their rules on it were if that would help any?:smile:
Reply 45
Original post by tasha96
Oh no! That must have been so awkward!:teehee:

It's always worth a try. Do you know how many periods you have in the week that aren't certificate classes? If you don't have many you could always try and get them swapped for extra study or pse because you really, really feel you would benifit from it.:biggrin:

I know people at a school near me who had to do their SG exams in 3rd year as well. I know not all schools work the same , but I could always check with them tomorrow what their rules on it were if that would help any?:smile:

I have two periods of PE, one period of RE, one period of SE and three periods of work experience per week :smile: so basically seven periods of the week are non certificate classes which is good! That leaves Maths and English with five or six periods a week (just depending on time tabling - they randomly give you six periods for one and five for the other).

Then the remaining twelve periods are for our three other options. So we get four periods of them per week :smile:

I have two periods of PE, one period of RE, one period of SE and three periods of work experience per week :smile: so basically seven periods of the week are non certificate classes which is good! That leaves Maths and English with five or six periods a week (just depending on time tabling - they randomly give you six periods for one and five for the other).

Then the remaining twelve periods are for our three other options. So we get four periods of them per week :smile:

oh dear, you had better hope Maths is 6 periods...
Reply 47
Original post by TheFOMaster
oh dear, you had better hope Maths is 6 periods...

For me higher Maths for six periods a week and for two years would be a nightmare!

Me and a few friends used to hide the music cupboard to avoid PE :redface:
Reply 49
Original post by jumpingjesusholycow
Me and a few friends used to hide the music cupboard to avoid PE :redface:

So it's not just me that finds it awful :smile: I just hope it's at the start or end of the day so I can skip it with dentist appointments etc :wink:

So it's not just me that finds it awful :smile: I just hope it's at the start or end of the day so I can skip it with dentist appointments etc :wink:

Indeed :tongue: They were none the wiser. And getting changed in and out of our clothes to be shouted at for 45 minutes by a PE teacher with a superiority complex and a midlife crisis wasn't our idea of an educational experience.
Reply 51
Original post by jumpingjesusholycow
Indeed :tongue: They were none the wiser. And getting changed in and out of our clothes to be shouted at for 45 minutes by a PE teacher with a superiority complex and a midlife crisis wasn't our idea of an educational experience.

Well I ask to go to the toilet all the time because I don't feel well (which isn't a lie, I hate PE!) and once I sat on Facebook and texting in the toilets for half an hour, when I came back everyone was in the changing rooms. Teacher didn't notice!

Yeah, like the thread has said, it's not the law that you have to have 2 periods of P.E in S5/S6. It is true up to S4, though.

My school never had compulsory P.E for S5/S6, we had an HMIe inspection during the year, and they never cared about the lack of P.E.

I miss it. It was awesome fun. Took P.E at Standard Grade along with the compulsory stuff, so in S3 and S4 I had P.E everyday, was always something for me to look forward to. ****ing hated gymnastics, though.

When I got to S5, no more P.E. :frown:

The three P.E teachers in my school were actually pretty intelligent. I have a lot of respect for the three of them.
Reply 53
If you're not good at PE it's torturous though. There's no sort of streaming as with other subjects.

We were allowed to drop it entirely in S5. I was so thankful on the last day! I suck at sports. :tongue: Although even in S3/S4 I outright refused to participate in javelin; I would run laps around the school instead.

I think forcing PE on students is actually counterproductive in getting them to exercise more. My group of friends had an aversion to fitness altogether in school. However, since we all left (2008-2010) we've all gotten gym memberships, joined clubs or bought equipment for use at home. We realised that we didn't hate fitness but rather we just hated the way we were forced to participate in sport at school.
Oh I and was happy that they reduced our PE to 1hr a week from S5 :frown: I envy you guys who can drop it completely.
Reply 56
Original post by sinfonietta
We were allowed to drop it entirely in S5. I was so thankful on the last day! I suck at sports. :tongue: Although even in S3/S4 I outright refused to participate in javelin; I would run laps around the school instead.

I think forcing PE on students is actually counterproductive in getting them to exercise more. My group of friends had an aversion to fitness altogether in school. However, since we all left (2008-2010) we've all gotten gym memberships, joined clubs or bought equipment for use at home. We realised that we didn't hate fitness but rather we just hated the way we were forced to participate in sport at school.

Exactly - it's the way they force it upon us. At primary school I enjoyed PE and went to three different sport clubs a week! I think the way in which at primary school, PE was just light hearted, running about fun made it more encouraging to take part.

Reply 57
I haven't done PE since third year, and I'm now going into sixth year :s-smilie: that was a special thing though aha.
]It wasn't mandatory in fifth or sixth year as our school simply didn't have the teachers with enough teaching time for us. I'm sure if you had a massive problem with doing PE then you could maybe get your parents to try to talk to your headteacher? but I honestly don't see the big deal about it, it's only a couple of periods a week.
Reply 58
Original post by rawragee
I haven't done PE since third year, and I'm now going into sixth year :s-smilie: that was a special thing though aha.
]It wasn't mandatory in fifth or sixth year as our school simply didn't have the teachers with enough teaching time for us. I'm sure if you had a massive problem with doing PE then you could maybe get your parents to try to talk to your headteacher? but I honestly don't see the big deal about it, it's only a couple of periods a week.

How did you get out of it in fourth year? :smile:

Thanks

Reply 59
How did you get out of it in fourth year? :smile:

Thanks

I was doing a Higher around my other seven Standard Grades as I did the Int 2 in one year, so they had to remove me from PE and RMPS classes so I could get five lessons of it a week, it was a special case :redface:

Latest

Trending

Trending