The Student Room Group

Did I quit or did I get fired? =S

Well, I went drinking at a friends house one night last week and got a little bit drunk. I was then talking to my friends brother who's only 15 or 16 (I'm 20) and I said he had lovely eyes and cheek bones. I know it was wrong to say that, but it was completely harmless. The next day I told my friend and she laughed and sent my apologises to her brother which was all ok.

So then the other night, I was drinking in the bar I work at and one of my bosses was a bit drunk and I overheard a conversation I was having about that night.

My boss then slammed his drink down and he said to me "I want you to leave", so I questioned why and he told me that he has kids of his own and that he wanted me to leave. I then explained that it was nothing like that at all and he then said "I want you to leave and don't come back".

So I put my unfinished drink down and put my shirt on the bar and said "I guess I wont be needing this anymore" and walked out and didn't turn up for work the next day.

Just not too sure if I was actually fired because it wasn't exactly official or did I leave because I put my shirt on the bar and didn't turn up the next day?

Scroll to see replies

Sorry, why did he want you to leave and not come back?

Sounds more like you were fired, you just handed your uniform in before you left. Wrongful dismissal?
you were fired
Reply 3
Sounds more like you resigned as he can't sack you for whatever the hell you were being sacked for. As long as it was all above board and you were a permanent employee.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 4
Wow - your boss sounds like a douche
It sounds like you were fired.
But then you can't fire someone for that reason haha...
So i'd say you still have the job.. but now that you haven't turned up you may have lost it for not turning up..
The entire story sounds ridiculous. Nice eyes and cheekbones is hardly vulgar, plus no one is going to object to a 15 year guy having a flirt with a 20 year old girl, unlike the other way round. Most men would slap him on the back and get him a drink.
Reply 7
Original post by doggyfizzel
The entire story sounds ridiculous. Nice eyes and cheekbones is hardly vulgar, plus no one is going to object to a 15 year guy having a flirt with a 20 year old girl, unlike the other way round. Most men would slap him on the back and get him a drink.

But in this case it is a 20 y/o guy flirting with a 15 y/o boy...
Reply 8
The fact that you said "I know it was wrong to say that" makes me think there was definitely more in it in your mind than just general conversation
I think the more important question is "in the future should I get drunk with underage boys, flirt with them and then tell my work friends and boss and expect there to be no consequences?" I'm not saying you're a paedophile or anything, or even that your boss was right to do that. All I'm saying is that people who aren't total retards would never have been in that situation in the first place. Also if my boss fired me drunk I'd probably call him the next day when he was sober just to, y'know, check, instead of just never turning up again. The fact that you haven't thought of any of this stuff probably means you're fired just for being too dumb to think of obvious stuff. I dunno if they can do that, but they should be able to.
Original post by Samtheman1
But in this case it is a 20 y/o guy flirting with a 15 y/o boy...
Good point. Still I don't think that is enough to be considered vulgar in anyway.
You got fired.
essentially he could do you for child molesting...
Original post by doggyfizzel
Good point. Still I don't think that is enough to be considered vulgar in anyway.

Nope true - but it does add a further dimension to the story. The boss could have homophobic tendencies as well as his thoughts about trying it on with somebody underage
Reply 13
pedos gonna pedo.
Reply 14
Original post by Dennerers
You got fired.
essentially he could do you for child molesting...

fairly certain he couldn't

also fairly sure that if you are indeed fired you could claim unfair dismissal.
Reply 15
This sounds suspiciously like a piece of Labour Law coursework, as it ticks all the right boxes for exactly the right cases.

Academically, drunkenly saying "I want you to leave and never come back" is unlikely (on its own) to constitute a dismissal, and handing in one's uniform is also a similarly ambiguous resignation. What should happen is that the employer sends a letter or email very soon after the event to confirm the resignation. In this case it is unlikely to happen.

The fact pattern here is very odd, and I'm not sure I believe it - drinking in the bar you work at, being overheard by the drunk boss and then a matched pair of ambiguous statements - but stranger things have happened.
Reply 16
Pics or didn't happen.
You've most likely been fired for not turning up, forget about everything else
So your boss was drunk on the job?
I can't help but think that if you were a girl, and the 15 year old was a girl and you said exactly the same thing, this wouldn't have happened.

But I think you got fired, completely morally wrong on the boss' behalf but it happened so yeah :rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending