30 Nov Saturday
Turkish getups 14kg 3 16kg 3 3
Bench 77.5kg 5 5 8
Incline dB bench 20kg 12, 22kg 10 10
Superset
- Pullups 3 3 3
- Lat pulldown 52kg 6 6, 45kg 9
Farmers 32kg 2 2 2 (2= 40m)

Bench felt fairly heavy but it went up for 8 in the last set so that's nice.
Farmers were hard - dumbells are not the best instrument for farmers, but my gym doesn't have anything else. Dumbells turn so they're hard to hold on to. I'm pretty sure I could carry 100kg with proper equipment, whereas with dumbells i'm struggling with 32kg per arm.

Mon 2 Dec
Squats 95kg 5 5 7
RDLs 60kg 8, 80kg 8 8
BSS 5kg 15, 7kg 15
Deadhangs 30s 40s 40s

Squats went up nicely but I've stupidly added weight too quickly. I went from 75kg to 80kg then 90kg and today 95kg. Those are big jumps and I felt it today. I'll stick to 2.5kg increments from now on.

Still need to work on upper body mobility. I think I've overstretched my scapular area which is causing my left shoulder blade to feel unstable, like it's slipping out, compared to my right. I need to be more careful with mobility work and try to target better.

Good week overall. Now some rest for a couple of days.
Original post by silent ninja
30 Nov Saturday
Turkish getups 14kg 3 16kg 3 3
Bench 77.5kg 5 5 8
Incline dB bench 20kg 12, 22kg 10 10
Superset
- Pullups 3 3 3
- Lat pulldown 52kg 6 6, 45kg 9
Farmers 32kg 2 2 2 (2= 40m)

Bench felt fairly heavy but it went up for 8 in the last set so that's nice.
Farmers were hard - dumbells are not the best instrument for farmers, but my gym doesn't have anything else. Dumbells turn so they're hard to hold on to. I'm pretty sure I could carry 100kg with proper equipment, whereas with dumbells i'm struggling with 32kg per arm.

Mon 2 Dec
Squats 95kg 5 5 7
RDLs 60kg 8, 80kg 8 8
BSS 5kg 15, 7kg 15
Deadhangs 30s 40s 40s

Squats went up nicely but I've stupidly added weight too quickly. I went from 75kg to 80kg then 90kg and today 95kg. Those are big jumps and I felt it today. I'll stick to 2.5kg increments from now on.

Still need to work on upper body mobility. I think I've overstretched my scapular area which is causing my left shoulder blade to feel unstable, like it's slipping out, compared to my right. I need to be more careful with mobility work and try to target better.

Good week overall. Now some rest for a couple of days.

Hex bar is a decent alternative to farmers if your gym has one. If it's just for grip work though DBs, although lighter than what you could do with farmers, are fine.
Original post by MathTeacher95
Hex bar is a decent alternative to farmers if your gym has one. If it's just for grip work though DBs, although lighter than what you could do with farmers, are fine.

No Hex bar either. I'm training at The Gym. I'll make do for now.

5 Dec
Band pulls / rotator pulls / dislocations x lots
Standing dB press 16kg 8 9 10
Pullups 5x3
dB row 22kg 10, 24kg 10 10
Preacher curls 27.5kg 10 8 8
Ab wheel 10 10 10
+ Superset renegade rows 12kg 8
Superset
- Lateral cable raise 7.5kg 12 13 12
- Scapular pulldowns 17kg 15 15, 19.5kg 15

Rotator pulls are basically where your arms are down, bent 90 degrees at elbow, and elbows pushing in to your sides. Then with palms facing up as much as possible, rotate forearms out. I've never felt such deep burns in my shoulder!! Dear lord...

Very pleased with standing dumbell press. I added 4kg and it still went up for 10. Had to squeeze the life out of my glutes and abs to stop my spine bending but I think I'm getting the hang of creating a solid base to push from.
(edited 4 years ago)
A grinding workout today. Felt like I needed more rest, energy was low, fatigue high. Baby up at night breaking my sleep doesn't help!

Anyway, from a stats point of view it was good.

7 Dec
Squat 97.5kg 5 5 7
BSS 16kg 8 8
kB swings 16kg 5x20 (1 min rest)
Face pulls Cable 3x15 12.5kg
Ab wheel 10 - aching abs from Thursday so stopped
Mon 9 Dec
rotator band pulls, dislocations 3x lots
Bench 80kg 5 5 8
Pullover 14kg 10, 18kg 10, 10 last set superset with
Incline dB bench 22kg 12
Lat pulldown CG 45kg 10, 52kg 12 12
dB row 24kg 3x10
Tricep dB ext 30kg 10 8, 26kg 10
Facepulls + scapular pulldowns 18kg/24kg 3x15
kB swings 5x20 (1 min rest)

Interesting session. I try to avoid the gym on Mondays but felt too fatigued to train on Sunday after Saturday's heavy squat session.

Anyway, first set bench press was considerably harder than expected. Next two sets were more full body engagement so went up quite well. I find I'm good at grinding on bench when the bar speed slows down, last set was 8 but felt I could grind 2 more at a push. Just need to continue practising tensing up thighs, glutes, stomach as well as back.

Enjoyed the chinup grip on lat pulldown. Not done these since back in gym.

Squeezed in five rounds of kettle bell swings as my high intensity cardio. They are full body, particularly on posterior chain and core, and an all round amazing exercise.
(edited 4 years ago)
Impressive weight on the Tricep extensions and volume on bench. You defo passed the 2 plate milestone I think

I can’t really figure out how to get leg drive on the bench. Have you got any specific cues that have worked really well for you in bench and it’s set up? I’ve tried butt up at the start then gradually lower it, but I somehow just lose a bit of my arch and don’t get the leg drive. I try to drive my traps into the bench but I lose tightness when I lock out etc...
Original post by SuperHuman98
Impressive weight on the Tricep extensions and volume on bench. You defo passed the 2 plate milestone I think

I can’t really figure out how to get leg drive on the bench. Have you got any specific cues that have worked really well for you in bench and it’s set up? I’ve tried butt up at the start then gradually lower it, but I somehow just lose a bit of my arch and don’t get the leg drive. I try to drive my traps into the bench but I lose tightness when I lock out etc...

Hmm not sure about cues but here's a few things I try

- definitely tuck your elbows. My mental cue is to pretend I'm shoving the bar away from me, like you'd shove a person. this helps to 'push the earth' with your back and fully engage back, rather than concentrate so much on my arms

- I don't actually aim for leg drive, rather I aim to get that radial strength by tensing my whole body. So if you squeeze the bar like hell, your chest, then core, glutes, then legs it all combines to give you a solid base to push from. Keep feet flat on floor. I think if you do this you'll probably find that elusive leg drive as yes, your legs will contribute to the lift. Just concentrate on tensing them all up as though your life depended on it.

- I'm sure you've got this nailed, but big air intake in to your diaphragm is absolutely key. This is why I like doing the ab wheel - it's the same technique and carries over to everything in my view

- before I do bench I always do band pulls to activate rear delts and get scapula contraction going. It's REALLY hard to engage these muscles fully if they're not warmed up and firing. A set of pullups can help here too.
(edited 4 years ago)
Been sick since Thursday so missed a workout this week. Dragged myself in today, but couldn't muster the energy to do legs. So upper body it was. Bad idea maybe because I felt like vomiting through half the workout.

Nevertheless got some good quality work in.

Sat 13 Dec
Standing dB press 16kg 11 9 9
Pullups 4 4 4 4
CG lat pulldown 59kg 10 9 8
Chest supported reverse flyes 6kg 10, 4kg 13 13
Facepulls + Scapular pulldowns 23kg/27kg 15, 23kg/32kg 15 15
Shoulder plate seated machine 40kg 15 15

11 reps@16kg dB standing press is a new pb.
Also pleased with pullups. Getting there slowly with these. Added weight to chinup grip lat pulldown, and added over 10kg to the seated shoulder press machine AND added 5 reps.

Fatigue wise very hard workout, may not go tomorrow.
(edited 4 years ago)
Been sick all week so missed yet another workout. Anyway, got in today and did full body

Thu 19 Dec
Squat 100kg 5 5 6
Inclined dB bench 22kg 10 12 12
Pullups 4 5 5 4
Seated rear delt row 25kg 10, 18kg 15 15
Cable crossovers 3x12
Ab wheel 10 10 12

Really pleased despite being drained by illness and visibly dehydrated, I gained a bit of strength - squat went up 2.5kg. pleased with pullups - need to start upping the volume if I want to get to 10 clean reps.
Good session today. I didn't feel strong in warm up sets for bench, but working set went well despite feeling heavy. Technique is really coming along - 8 on the last set is awesome.
Pullups were hard so too were rows. I think some fatigue from Thursday.

Saturday 21 Dec
Bench 82.5kg 5 5 8 (RPE 9)
Pullups 4 4 4 4 4
dB row 26kg 10 10 12
dB Pullover 16kg 3x12
Preacher curls 27.5kg 3x10
Last set superset with dB hammer curl 8kg x 13
kB swings 16kg 5x20 with 1 min rests

Onwards with march to 2 plates
If last set was rpe 9 you probably have 10 in you fresh. Means you can't be far away from 2 plates. Maybe even by the end of the year if you eat a lot for the next week and don't drink tooooo much lol
Yeah 82.5 x 8 @ RPE 9 means 82.5 is your 9 rep max, which according to internet calculators puts your 1RM at over 100 kg.
Thanks both

Yeah I think I could do it as a 1RM. My target is to do 5 reps. I should be there in 2-3 months if I don't stall.
By far the hardest workout since rejoining the gym.

Bulgarian Split Squats @16kg dumbells were incredibly challenging. Over did it - felt nauseous afterwards, but it's a new pb.
Squats were relatively good, 10 reps feels like cardio. will add 5kg next time.

Tue 24 Dec
Squat 70kg 10 10 13
BSS 16kg DBs 3x8
RDLs (hamstring focus) 35kg 2x12
Ab wheel 10 10 12
(edited 4 years ago)
BSS always feel horrendous at 10 reps even when it's a weight that I could do 15 of if I actually tried.
For me BSS feel hard as my balance sucks on my left leg and my back foot always feels awkward. I feel like the benches/boxes at my gym just aren’t the right height.

Such a beast a great exercise tho
I'm normally okay with doing 8-10kg and anything up to 15 reps. But today, I thought I'd hit a max and dear lord was it hard...don't think I will make such a big jump again. They were harder than max squats on my CNS. I think it's the balance element/coordination

I think I have enough strength to do pistol squats now so starting in January I'll begin a progression on that.
Nothing interesting. Lethargic workout. Only plus is clearing 16kg standing dumbell press. Will go up to the 18s next which might be a struggle. Let's see

Fri 27 Dec
dB standing press 16kg 3x10
Pullups 5 5 4.5 4 4
Shoulder machine 50kg 10 10 9
Inverted rows 8 10 10
CG lat pulldown 59kg 8, 52kg 8
tricep cable pushdown 23kg 8 18kg 10 10
Cable Lateral raises 3x14
Face pulls 14.7kg 3x15
scapular pulldown 19kg 15, 21.6kg 14 13
Mediocre session yesterday. Couldn't lift anything on squats. Upper session today a lot better. 85kg bench went up well. Started pistol squat progression and also my first set of dips since 2014. Also did 30kg preacher curls - these have progressed really quickly.

1 Jan
Squat 102.5kg 4, 100kg 5, 90kg 5
One leg squat blue box 3x6
Leg press 100kg 3x10
Ab wheel 12 10 10
KB swings 16kg 3x30 (1 min rest)

2 Jan
Bench 85kg 5 5 7
Dips 3x5
Pullups 4 4 4 4
CG assisted pullup 14kg 10, 9kg 10 9
Cable crossovers 3x10
Preacher curls 30kg 3x8
Facepulls + scapular pulldowns 3x12-16
(edited 4 years ago)
I have 2 simple goals for 2019

- sleep before midnight on weekdays

- consistency in gym, with minimum of 2 sessions a week

Not a hard goal, but I'd also like to learn to swim (yes that's right, I can't swim!).

Quick Reply

Latest