The Student Room Group

really confused when I actually get my SF payments.

After checking my letter from Student Finance, it tells me my expected payment date is 10th September. However, it also says that I get paid 3-4 working days after my attendance is confirmed by the university.

My enrollment date at University is not till the 14th and freshers week starts on the 12th. So if I am paid 3-4 working days after 14th, that would mean I have to go possibly 10 days without any money at all as my parents are unwilling and cannot afford to support me.

Do you guys have any idea how this payment works? If I get paid late, do I have any support that I can receive from the university (Liverpool John Moores) because I will be pretty screwed as I am living in a privately rented house and commuting to uni for me isn't cheap at all.

Thanks,
Reply 1
if freshers week starts on the 12th, then you should get it 3-4 days after the 12th (i think so anyway), and you could always get a account with a student overdraft (i know co-op does £1400). it should be more then enough to get you buy the first few days, however if a student overdraft is not a option you could always see if the uni can help you out.
Reply 2
The reason that SFE give you a proposed payment date, is that they cannot legally pay out your finance until the UNI sends a file to SFE to say that you are attending. (It's to stop people taking out student loans and traveling to Baha with money meant for study !)
As the UNIs and colleges have many students enrolling at one time, it can take them a while to send the attendance confirmation file to SFE, which stops SFE paying out your cash.
The trick is to ask the UNI when they sent your attendance confirmation, as it is an electronic file it is instantaneous when it does go. AFTER this point, it takes 3-4 working days (or 3-5 as often is quoted for BACS) to get money into your account. (Provided your bank details are correct and your National Insurance number has been verified as belonging to you.)
Reply 3
Original post by tolleya12
After checking my letter from Student Finance, it tells me my expected payment date is 10th September. However, it also says that I get paid 3-4 working days after my attendance is confirmed by the university.

My enrollment date at University is not till the 14th and freshers week starts on the 12th. So if I am paid 3-4 working days after 14th, that would mean I have to go possibly 10 days without any money at all as my parents are unwilling and cannot afford to support me.

Do you guys have any idea how this payment works? If I get paid late, do I have any support that I can receive from the university (Liverpool John Moores) because I will be pretty screwed as I am living in a privately rented house and commuting to uni for me isn't cheap at all.

Thanks,

it will be 3-4 days after you have registered at the uni, the reason student finance put the 10th is because they dont know when you will register until you have. As others have said open a student overdraft, you should be able to get a minimum of £500 depending on which band you go with.
Reply 4
Thanks a lot for the help guys. I can't really get much out from the bank but I have found a friend who can borrow me some money till SF pays out.

Cheers!
Im glad you asked this as I have been confused too. I am starting at a partnership college on the 17th Sep. However I enrolled yesterday (3rd) and gave in my student finance forms (which she then popped in her pigeon hole!). Now, Im wondering - it states on my online account that the payment will be made on the 17th. But as I enrolled yesterday, can I expect it this week? Or do the college hold off scanning it until nearer the first day (17th).
Thanks,

Skint x
Reply 6
Original post by Gracebmakeup
Im glad you asked this as I have been confused too. I am starting at a partnership college on the 17th Sep. However I enrolled yesterday (3rd) and gave in my student finance forms (which she then popped in her pigeon hole!). Now, Im wondering - it states on my online account that the payment will be made on the 17th. But as I enrolled yesterday, can I expect it this week? Or do the college hold off scanning it until nearer the first day (17th).
Thanks,

Skint x

you mean college or uni? since as far as i know SF don't fund college (EMA and ALG does)
Reply 7
Original post by kumori
you mean college or uni? since as far as i know SF don't fund college (EMA and ALG does)

there is no EMA or ALG any more.
Reply 8
Original post by jelly1000
there is no EMA or ALG any more.

i found that out yesterday its stupid that they removed it
Reply 9
Original post by kumori
i found that out yesterday its stupid that they removed it

ALG yes. EMA was being abused by too many who didn't know what to do so just went to 6th form for the money, whilst those who were just above the cut off had to work. At my school most of those on EMA spent it on drugs, cigerettes, and alcohol. A scheme that provides transport passes and books would be more appropriate.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending