The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
i'm sure you'll be absolutely fine career wise. as said before, emloyers will never actually pull out the league tables specific to your subject and years in which you studied...

all it would come down to is whether you think you're interested enough in linguistics to actually study it. i have elements of it on my course at birmingham, and despite being very into literature, i really do find the language part fascinating, rewarding and enjoyable. maybe it would be best to, asap, read a bit about linguistics - things like phonology, morphology, varation in language (i.e. accent and dialect) etc. it will probably be quite hard to look into everything in detail if time isn't on your side, but even just googling certain terms and topics could provide some sort of information to act as a taster for the subjects covered at degree level; maybe it's worth looking for/requesting some detailed outlines of the course from york.
Reply 21
The thing is...I already do English language at A level so knowing about it isn't a problem. I just don't know whether I'd be wanting to do a Linguistics heavy course for 3 years. I'd much prefer a Lit/Lang equal course which is available at York. However, I dunno whether they'd let me transfer onto that once I'm there.
Is it too much of a risk?
Reply 22
If they didn't let you swap you could always reapply to university. As for teaching English, yes they would probably prefer single honours English but to be honest there is anything but a surplus of English teachers and the fact that you went to York would go in your favour if it was equal between you and someone who had a single honours degree but went to universities like UWE/Surrey/Kingston.

Latest

Trending

Trending