The Student Room Group

The John Lewis Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by navarre
Well, it is the Oxford Street branch, so I know that there is a number. However, I can't remember the name of the lady I was speaking to.

Thanks for the advice, I will turn up in smart clothes anyway, it just seems weird that I haven't heard anything.

*Ring Ring* *Ring Ring*

JL: Hello, John Lewis, [Person] speaking, how may I help you?
You: Hello. I've been offered a job with you and I have to come in for an induction day on Monday. I was told I would receive an email or letter to confirm this, but I haven't got it yet. Do you know who I should speak to about this?
JL: Okay. I'm not sure, let me just find out.
JL: You need to speak to Mr. Employer. I've got his number here, do you have some paper to write it down?
:smile::smile:
Reply 61
I recently had an assessment at John Lewis and I felt like it had gone really well but then I got an e-mail saying I was unsuccessful :frown: Obviously I wasn't what they were looking for but I'd really like some feedback as I'm really interested to know where I went wrong. Does anyone know if they give interview feedback and how to go about doing it? I don't want to go to the trouble if they don't give feedback. Thanks.
Reply 62
Original post by amy110
I recently had an assessment at John Lewis and I felt like it had gone really well but then I got an e-mail saying I was unsuccessful :frown: Obviously I wasn't what they were looking for but I'd really like some feedback as I'm really interested to know where I went wrong. Does anyone know if they give interview feedback and how to go about doing it? I don't want to go to the trouble if they don't give feedback. Thanks.

I haven't gotten through to the assessmentt yet, but I have asked for feedback on my applications before. It's a legal requirement for them to supply feedback if you ask for it. Just email the person who sent your email saying you were unsuccessful, and say that you're very interested in a job with JL, so would it be possible to receive some feedback from your assessment so you know where to improve etc.
Original post by amy110

Yep, ask for the feedback. I wish i'd asked why my previous employer didn't keep me on after the temp contract. I didn't like the company, but i'd still have loved to know for next time.
Original post by amy110

What did your email actually say? I'm trying to work out if I'm on hold or unsuccessful. At the assessment I was told I would get:

JOB OFFER
or
HOLD FOR 4-6 WEEKS
or
UNSUCCESSFUL

I actually got one saying they weren't going to take me further for this vacancy but they would put me in their talent pool for 4-6 months... :confused:
Original post by matthewbutler
What did your email actually say? I'm trying to work out if I'm on hold or unsuccessful. At the assessment I was told I would get:

JOB OFFER
or
HOLD FOR 4-6 WEEKS
or
UNSUCCESSFUL

I actually got one saying they weren't going to take me further for this vacancy but they would put me in their talent pool for 4-6 months... :confused:

I'll rephrase it for you- 'You're not good enough for this job, but you're not a bad candidate. If the successful candidate drops out, we will work our way down a list of other potential candidates, which you are in'.

Don't expect a call though.
Reply 66
Original post by bobbin95
I haven't gotten through to the assessmentt yet, but I have asked for feedback on my applications before. It's a legal requirement for them to supply feedback if you ask for it. Just email the person who sent your email saying you were unsuccessful, and say that you're very interested in a job with JL, so would it be possible to receive some feedback from your assessment so you know where to improve etc.

Original post by Runninground
Yep, ask for the feedback. I wish i'd asked why my previous employer didn't keep me on after the temp contract. I didn't like the company, but i'd still have loved to know for next time.

Thank you, I will ask then. Unfortunately the e-mail was from one of those no reply e-mails but I'll hunt around for an e-mail address or phone number.

Original post by matthewbutler

JOB OFFER
or
HOLD FOR 4-6 WEEKS
or
UNSUCCESSFUL

My e-mail said:

Thank you for coming to the recent group assessment for the position of Christmas Selling Assistant, Various Departments (External) at John Lewis.

After careful consideration I am sorry to tell you that you have been unsuccessful in your application for this position.

Thank you again for your interest in wishing to join John Lewis, and I wish you every success in the future.

So it seems like you are one of the ones that is on hold. Good luck :smile:
Reply 67
So what exactly does talent pool means? I got told I was successful but have been put in the talent pool rather than getting the job. How long would be that I would get offered a job? Need a job for Christmas!!
Reply 68
I'm gonna go to my first proper day in a min. Will let you guys know how it goes! Hopefully I'll be kept busy and will learn what to do.
Reply 69
I've finally gotten through to the assessment!
Does anyone have any advice that could help?
I really want this job, it'd mean I can leave my current job too!
I'd appreciate any help I can get!
Got a job offer for John Lewis the other day. Shame it was 3 weeks after the interview, by which time I'd already had an interview with another company and been offered the job and finished my first week working there. Gutted I'm going to have to turn JL down as they are such a good company, if only their recruitment process didn't take so long!
Original post by bobbin95
I've finally gotten through to the assessment!
Does anyone have any advice that could help?
I really want this job, it'd mean I can leave my current job too!
I'd appreciate any help I can get!

I was offered a job by them the other day. At my group interview I just made sure I put myself forward and always volunteered to go first (I think this shows you are comfortable approaching members of the public), but also listened to the others in my group and asked them questions. In the tasks where we had to discuss a scenario within our group, I put forward my ideas but also listened to others and encouraged their ideas. I think they want to see that you are confident and can put yourself forward, but also that you can work as a team and encourage and listen to and respect others. Good luck!
Reply 72
Original post by Shockolate
I was offered a job by them the other day. At my group interview I just made sure I put myself forward and always volunteered to go first (I think this shows you are comfortable approaching members of the public), but also listened to the others in my group and asked them questions. In the tasks where we had to discuss a scenario within our group, I put forward my ideas but also listened to others and encouraged their ideas. I think they want to see that you are confident and can put yourself forward, but also that you can work as a team and encourage and listen to and respect others. Good luck!

Thank you so much for the advice! It was so helpful, I know they're big on teamwork so I'll make sure I'm extra-teamworky :smile:
Reply 73
Does anyone have to make a presentation for their assessment days?
Basically, I've been invited to a group assessment interview on the 1st of November at John Lewis, and I have absolutely no idea what to expect or how to prepare. I've never been to a job interview before, as I have only just left high school and am now studying at Sixth Form, so I've never been employed previously. I'm quite introverted, but I'm polite and helpful. I was just wondering what exactly happens on these days, and what I can do to ensure I get the job? I'm not applying for a specific department. Also, I'm 16, so will they view this as a disadvantage or understand why I'm quite shy a little more than if I were an adult? Thank you!
I got offered a job by them the other day but turned it down.

In mine there was about 20 people split onto 4 tables. Icebreaker task first (they don't assess you on this, it's just to help everyone feel comfortable). They then gave a powerpoint about John Lewis. Then the assessment tasks started. The first one you had to give a mini presentation about yourself to the rest of your table - an interesting fact about yourself, the thing you are most proud of, and what you could bring to the role. The second task you were given a scenario about customer service to discuss within your group and deliver the answers to your assessor. The third task you were given an item to sell to the rest of the group. The fourth task you were given a list of words about customers service and you had to order them in level of importance (as a group). Then just fill in a sheet about your availability
Put yourself forward and volunteer to go first in activities, as this suggests you will be confident in approaching customers. Work as a team, try to balance between suggesting your own ideas but also listening to and respecting the others in your group and encouraging their ideas - look interested and don't interrupt others. Chat with your group and ask them questions and be open about yourself. As you don't have any customer service experience try to show that you understand what makes good customer service - anyone can be trained to use tills etc but they want to see that you care about helping customers and upholding the reputation of the company. I'd also say dress smartly as JL are big on looking professional.
Reply 76
I had my assessment yesterday, and honestly, don't be nervous! I was so nervous, and then I ended up really enjoying it, it was so relaxed, even one of my assessors said I looked like I was having a good time!
We had an icebreaker first, which was human bingo, and make sure you're being proactive and approaching people, they like to see confidence
After that we were taken down onto the shop floor, as there were 20 of us we were split into groups at the beginning and taken to different departments. If you do this, your assessor will follow you around just to see how its going, so again confidence is key. Approach customers, but don't just ask them if they need help, introduce yourself, talk to them and mention that you're on your assessment if you feel the need to, it wasn't busy when we went down so we kept asking the same people. Also, it helps if you luck out and manage to get a sale too, which I very luckily did!
We then had to sort out some attributes that you think JL wants in their partners, and do talk to your assessor if you need to. Make sure you do this as a group and are actively involving everyone and listening to their opinion, but they do look for leadership too, so if the opportunity arises, show your leadership skills!
We then had to sell a product to a celebrity, and funny ones go down well, but I'm not that quick witted, but I had done my research before to see what JL stocked, which shows product knowledge which is always a bonus. Make sure when everyone is having their turn your listening to them and acknowledging them, don't talk over the top or stare into space, look interested.
After that it's just the one on one with an assessor about availability etc.
Also, make sure you're taking the opportunity to talk to people around the room, they like people who are approachable and confident. When we had our individual assessments I was one of the last, so I was chatting to those who were left in the room.
Also, just be yourself! They want to see your personality, so let it show through.
Good luck!
Now I just have the anxious wait to hear back!
Reply 77
Original post by bin94
Does anyone have to make a presentation for their assessment days?

Yeah i have to but i cant think of a gift idea. Have you decided one yet?
Reply 78
Does anyone know on average how long it takes to hear back about a job?
Also, ay my assessment I mentioned that I'd rather have a permanent job as my job now is permanent, and even though the pays rubbish I wouldn't want to have to leave after 3 months, because at the start they mentioned permanent/temp part-time and full-time jobs, but later on they seemed to just mention christmas temps. Do you think this could disadvantage me? Because now thinking about it, I'd accept a temp job!
Reply 79
Original post by GurtyD
Yeah i have to but i cant think of a gift idea. Have you decided one yet?

I didn't have to make a presentation, but I had to sell an item to a celebrity. Look through John Lewis' gift range on their site, it'll make it easier and shows good product knowledge. If not, just think of something you want and all the reasons you want it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending