The Student Room Group

OCR AS Biology (F211) - Jan 2013.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 260
Original post by Chloeyah
I went to the revision conference on the 6th. Was super duper useful.

Yeh I found it very useful is well, defintely know the tips to get an A now!
Reply 261
Original post by BioGeek

REVISION CONFERENCES?! :eek:
Original post by simibean
I have my Chemistry exam the day after :frown:

Me too! Have you seen the Chemistry Exam thread? :smile:
Original post by BioGeek

I was meant to be going but our school didn't have enough people who wanted to go so didn't take us!
Are there any good tips they gave or anything?
Reply 264
Original post by BioGeek

I don't suppose you could give us notes on what you learnt? Sharing is caring :biggrin:
Reply 265
Does anyone have a link to the specification for this exam please? I don't even know where to start with revision! Thanks :smile:
Original post by rachhhhhh
Does anyone have a link to the specification for this exam please? I don't even know where to start with revision! Thanks :smile:

The specification can be found here: - http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/81028-specification.pdf
Reply 267
How do you mark questions where the mark scheme gives different letters to different points?
Would you have to have all points under that specific letter to get full marks, or could it be a mixture?

Also, I understand each ';' represents a new mark, but to get full marks do you need to get all he points within that paragraph of ';'

Apologies if this sounds silly, and straightforward, but I'm not sure how to mark the past papers myself properly!
So I just tick any points which I have included in my answer that appear within that related question in the mark scheme, or do the pints have to be related, within the same answer paragraph, and with the same letter/number.

Some questions say you need to have one from D and one from E for example - that's easy to understand.
But others have numbers, different paragraphs of ';' marks, letters with numbers etc.

A marking guide 101 would be appreciated! :smile:
Reply 268
Original post by BioGeek

Please can you/anybody who attended this revision session let us know any tips or what you learnt for those of us who didn't attend (majority)

Thanks!
Original post by Konflict
How do you mark questions where the mark scheme gives different letters to different points?
Would you have to have all points under that specific letter to get full marks, or could it be a mixture?

Also, I understand each ';' represents a new mark, but to get full marks do you need to get all he points within that paragraph of ';'

Apologies if this sounds silly, and straightforward, but I'm not sure how to mark the past papers myself properly!
So I just tick any points which I have included in my answer that appear within that related question in the mark scheme, or do the pints have to be related, within the same answer paragraph, and with the same letter/number.

Some questions say you need to have one from D and one from E for example - that's easy to understand.
But others have numbers, different paragraphs of ';' marks, letters with numbers etc.

A marking guide 101 would be appreciated! :smile:

Hi, Each new line is a new mark, unless it specifically states only 1 from a selection of these. Some mark schemes are numbered down the side so it is easy to see how many marks are up for grabs! Is everyone ready for the exam yet :tongue:
Also, I am resiting college this year for various reasons, and the key to doing well on this exam is making sure you consistantly revise when you are taught something new, doesn't even need to be that much, just an hour a week to keep the info in your head. MUCH more effective than cram revising. A bit late for my tip but oh well, just keep doing practice papers!
Reply 271
What are the grade boundaries for the June 2012 exam? It surely can't be 48.
That was a difficult paper!
What are the grade boundaries for the June 2012 exam? It surely can't be 48.
That was a difficult paper!

GCE Biology

F211/01 Cells, Exchange and Transport
44 40 36 32 28 0

F212/01 Molecules, Biodiversity, Food and Health
Raw 100 67 60 54 48 42 0
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 273
Original post by Priya_Biju
GCE Biology

F211/01 Cells, Exchange and Transport
44 40 36 32 28 0

F212/01 Molecules, Biodiversity, Food and Health
Raw 100 67 60 54 48 42 0

May I ask where you got these boundaries from? :smile:

EDIT:
I've found them!
http://www.sussexdowns.ac.uk/wp-content/uploads/ocr_unit_raw_mark_and_ums_grade_boundaries.pdf
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 274
Does anyone have any more exam questions? I've done all of the past papers.. :/

One thing I have noticed is that OCR expect us to make the most abstract and most vague of all links.
Some of these questions don't appear to fit into the syllabus.

Also, there is no consistency within the papers. Every single paper I have done contains nothing carrying on the previous one. Sure - there are possibly one or two questions worth a possible 6 marks - but that's it!
Does anyone have any more exam questions? I've done all of the past papers.. :/

One thing I have noticed is that OCR expect us to make the most abstract and most vague of all links.
Some of these questions don't appear to fit into the syllabus.

Also, there is no consistency within the papers. Every single paper I have done contains nothing carrying on the previous one. Sure - there are possibly one or two questions worth a possible 6 marks - but that's it!

Aha. This is OCR, vagueness and ridiculous questions are in their slogan. :wink:
Reply 276
Original post by HarryMWilliams
Aha. This is OCR, vagueness and ridiculous questions are in their slogan. :wink:

It's extremely frustrating!
You learn something from a previous paper - which, didn't seem to feature in the OCR ENDORSED revision guides - and then, the very next year - a completely different question comes up! :angry:
It's extremely frustrating!
You learn something from a previous paper - which, didn't seem to feature in the OCR ENDORSED revision guides - and then, the very next year - a completely different question comes up! :angry:

ik!!
JUNe 2012 unit 1 was the worst in my opinion. I got a D in that paper. I was expecting A
Reply 278
Original post by Priya_Biju
I just got the 2012 june F211 from my teacher. Anyone want it? Am i allowed to post it? Well, I desperately needed it, so I am sure other people need it too.
Please let me know if I have to take it off before u give me a warning or negative rating.

you are a true saint, ive been searching for these for ages!!!!!!

seriously I dont know who you are, but I want to give you the biggest hug right now.

thank you soooooooooooooooooo mushc :smile:
i'm so worried! i've been working so hard, doing every single possible rehearsal and revision. in practise papers i'm getting A's and B's but im soo so worried i'll end up with a E or something in the real thing! people who have done it, what's the best advice you can give?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending