The Student Room Group

How would this stop me from working in the army?

ok so im female and fit compared to the average girl I train everyday, can do 14 chin ups etc I enjoy the active lifestyle thats why i wanted to join the army. Ive applied to the TA's (since im studying nursing at the moment) but over the phone they asked if ive any medical problems. The only thing i have is chronic rhinitis which is basically like hayfever but all year round and nasal polyps it started 2 years ago but i tested negatve for allergies. I take a nasal steroid spray and it doesnt stop me from doing anything its more a nuisance to me more than anything. The recruiter spoke to a nurse, rang me back and said that cause its an ongoing thing i cant join.

What I dont get though is how would it stop me from doing anything in the army? People join the army wearing glasses and i would have thought good eye sight is better than a perfect nose lol. You can aim and shoot with a bad nose but not poor eye sight. If its a matter of needing a nasal spray well i wouldnt die without it I could go a few weeks before symptoms would bother me. The same cant be said for glasses. Also in relaity im sure people use inhalers/sprays in the army ive heard of people being precribed them.

Just wanted opinions/advice:confused:

I dont want to work on a ward all my life i want an active lifestyle so do you know any careers that are similar to the army??

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by inthedark1
ok so im female and fit compared to the average girl I train everyday, can do 14 chin ups etc I enjoy the active lifestyle thats why i wanted to join the army. Ive applied to the TA's (since im studying nursing at the moment) but over the phone they asked if ive any medical problems. The only thing i have is chronic rhinitis which is basically like hayfever but all year round and nasal polyps it started 2 years ago but i tested negatve for allergies. I take a nasal steroid spray and it doesnt stop me from doing anything its more a nuisance to me more than anything. The recruiter spoke to a nurse, rang me back and said that cause its an ongoing thing i cant join.

What I dont get though is how would it stop me from doing anything in the army? People join the army wearing glasses and i would have thought good eye sight is better than a perfect nose lol. You can aim and shoot with a bad nose but not poor eye sight. If its a matter of needing a nasal spray well i wouldnt die without it I could go a few weeks before symptoms would bother me. The same cant be said for glasses. Also in relaity im sure people use inhalers/sprays in the army ive heard of people being precribed them.

Just wanted opinions/advice:confused:

I dont want to work on a ward all my life i want an active lifestyle so do you know any careers that are similar to the army??

Anything which requires constant, ongoing treatment is generally a no-no with all the Forces - and you can't compare them to glasses.

With your condition you don't know how the symptoms are going to react. Sure here if you went a few days/weeks without treatment it's not too bad. But what about when you're on ops, only getting 5/6hrs a sleep everyday, are run down and in a foreign country with potentially drastically different weather and general climate? You can't predict how/if you'll cope. Neither can the Forces. but they will look at it as an unnecessary risk.
Reply 2
Original post by Drewski
Anything which requires constant, ongoing treatment is generally a no-no with all the Forces - and you can't compare them to glasses.

With your condition you don't know how the symptoms are going to react. Sure here if you went a few days/weeks without treatment it's not too bad. But what about when you're on ops, only getting 5/6hrs a sleep everyday, are run down and in a foreign country with potentially drastically different weather and general climate? You can't predict how/if you'll cope. Neither can the Forces. but they will look at it as an unnecessary risk.

But Ive heard of people being precribed inhalers/hay fever treatment in the army. Why cant i compare them to glasses? Eyesight is one of the most important senses if you cant see well long/short distance surely thats a risk?

Also they cant predict if I'l cope but then again how can they predict if anyone will cope? A nurse in the army who I used to know did the fittness, got really fit and now she is overweight but still serving, how will she cope?

The worst thing that could happen to me is I get a blocked nose. Thats why I dont understand.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
It's the same with mild asthma, they won't even let you work in a non-combatant job if you've has symptons in the last three years :frown:
Reply 4
Original post by Alix23
It's the same with mild asthma, they won't even let you work in a non-combatant job if you've has symptons in the last three years :frown:

but there are people in the army who use inhalers -salbutamol etc and asthma is worse than rhinitis. It seems they just wont recruit maybe because there is more risk having to spend money on treatments for soldiers I dont know.

Anyway are there any careers available that offer the active lifestyle to the army does anyone know? I dont think the navy would take me on either though the sea water might help my nose haha
(edited 11 years ago)
You can argue all you like - if it is on the list of not allowed medical conditions, you are not getting in - sorry.

People who are serving and using medication did not have those conditions upon joining. Once they are trained it would be too expensive to throw them out, although the PAP10 path of throwing people out who can't deploy is being used a lot more now.
They won't recruit people with those conditions as they are a higher risk of worsening than those who don't have them. It isn't the cost of the treatment but the fact that the condition requires treatment that is the problem. The Forces fills the places with healthy people every year, so they don't need to take a risk on those who are are not fully fit and free from conditions needing treatment.
I know you don't want to hear that, but the other two Services tend to have the same criteria as well.
Reply 6
Original post by ProStacker
You can argue all you like - if it is on the list of not allowed medical conditions, you are not getting in - sorry.

People who are serving and using medication did not have those conditions upon joining. Once they are trained it would be too expensive to throw them out, although the PAP10 path of throwing people out who can't deploy is being used a lot more now.
They won't recruit people with those conditions as they are a higher risk of worsening than those who don't have them. It isn't the cost of the treatment but the fact that the condition requires treatment that is the problem. The Forces fills the places with healthy people every year, so they don't need to take a risk on those who are are not fully fit and free from conditions needing treatment.
I know you don't want to hear that, but the other two Services tend to have the same criteria as well.

It wasnt on the list when the recruiter looked he said that he asked one of the nurses there and she made a decision then he rang me back. It wasnt an army doctor that said no it was a TA unit nurse. Not being fully fit means things that affect your duties like asthma (it affects running), diabetes and Id say poor eye sight because some people i train with have trouble seeing over 100m lol, how is this classed as fully fit in a battle? They might not require medication but they need glasses and will never have good eye sight. Im trying to understand it not argue. There are people in the army that I would be more medically fit than or at less risk so its not that I couldnt do the job.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
It wasnt on the list when the recruiter looked he said that he asked one of the nurses there and she made a decision then he rang me back. It wasnt an army doctor that said no it was a TA unit nurse. Not being fully fit means things that affect your duties like asthma (it affects running), diabetes and Id say poor eye sight because some people i train with have trouble seeing over 100m lol, how is this classed as fully fit in a battle? They might not require medication but they need glasses and will never have good eye sight. Im trying to understand it not argue. There are people in the army that I would be more medically fit than or at less risk so its not that I couldnt do the job.

In.
Your.
Opinion.

Which, in this instance, counts for precisely sod all. Sorry.

http://www.raf.mod.uk/careers/rafcms/mediafiles/8AC4A6D0_5056_A318_A8628AA28D2D8DAE.pdf

That is the RAF list - the other Services are very similar. Your condition is on there.

Your definition of 'fit' is not the same as the military one. Your view of glasses is not correct and comparing it with your condition is not sensible. They know how eyes would react to a chemical or biological attack, but as for your condition? No idea, but probably very bad.
Things are on the list of prohibited conditions for a reason and they are very well founded. None of us here are sufficiently trained in military medicine to explain this to you, but neither are you. Your medical condition is a bar to entry and we can't explain ot to your satisfaction - sorry.
Reply 9
Original post by Drewski
In.
Your.
Opinion.

Which, in this instance, counts for precisely sod all. Sorry.

well tell me how can you not be a risk in battle if you are long/short sighted?

hm anyway I could apply again in 9 months when ive finished my course and say Ive been symptom free. I can buy the nasal spray offline so it wont show up on records then once im in say the symptoms have come back again.:colone: It might have clelared up by then anyway Im sure its my dog thats causing it. I was advised to not tell them about it by a lad in the army he said they are a nuisance when it comes to allergy related stuff. A lot of people probably don't tell them about minor health problems.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 10
Eyesight requiring corrective lenses is not an ongoing treatment, it does not alter dependant on environment. Once wearing glasses the individual is no different to any other. Your condition differs because you actively require the nasal treatment on a regular basis and how it reacts to adverse weather/climates is unknown and potentially debilitating.
Reply 11
http://www.raf.mod.uk/careers/rafcms/mediafiles/8AC4A6D0_5056_A318_A8628AA28D2D8DAE.pdf

That is the RAF list - the other Services are very similar. Your condition is on there.

Your definition of 'fit' is not the same as the military one. Your view of glasses is not correct and comparing it with your condition is not sensible. They know how eyes would react to a chemical or biological attack, but as for your condition? No idea, but probably very bad.
Things are on the list of prohibited conditions for a reason and they are very well founded. None of us here are sufficiently trained in military medicine to explain this to you, but neither are you. Your medical condition is a bar to entry and we can't explain ot to your satisfaction - sorry.

ah ok so its not the training its chemical attacks then, hm. Why is is comparing it with people who cant see well not sensible? If glasses got broke or lost on operation how is eyesight that requires an aid (glasses) not a risk compared to healthy people.

Its just annoying knowing im healthier than a lot of people in the army (2 nurses i know who have gone in did basic training then put on loads of weight ha) yet a minor thing stops me.

Does anyone know any similar careers to the army? You know where you get the fun/adventure etc?
Reply 12
Original post by Drewski
Eyesight requiring corrective lenses is not an ongoing treatment, it does not alter dependant on environment. Once wearing glasses the individual is no different to any other. Your condition differs because you actively require the nasal treatment on a regular basis and how it reacts to adverse weather/climates is unknown and potentially debilitating.

They are different as they still have poorer eyesight. It doesnt alter with environment but its an ongoing condition, eyesight doesnt typically get better. I see what you are saying tho my problem could only cause a blocked nose, thats the worst that could happen. Loads of people have sinus problems/stuffy noses etc.

btw Im actually really quiet in real life hah I wouldnt question a recruiter like this Im just always very talkative on forums for some reason.

So anyway does anyone know any similar careers..
Reply 13

Thats interesting actually I read the army list before and it said 'rhinitis if not controlled by topical medication'. I cant find it at mo but i found the US one it states 'if not controlled' also so I guess they dont see it as much of a problem. http://www.apd.army.mil/pdffiles/r40_501.pdf

It might depend on severity too, anyway will just have to see i got this nursing course to focus on at the moment, I really dont want to work on a boring ward i need some adventure haha
Reply 14
It's alright OP, spend enough time in Kandahar and you'll want to stop taking the nasal spray so you don't have to tolerate the stench.

Go and be an Adventurous training instructor, work for Outward Bound or some place like that.
Reply 15
Original post by Schleigg
It's alright OP, spend enough time in Kandahar and you'll want to stop taking the nasal spray so you don't have to tolerate the stench.

Go and be an Adventurous training instructor, work for Outward Bound or some place like that.

hah actually on an elderly ward i worked on i lost my sense of smell after a cold (colds make it worse) and couldnt smell a thing i was able to toilet patients it didnt bother me.

I thought about fitness instructing i might look into something like that
One of my cadets got rejected as he had asthma as a child but because he was still prescribed inhalers until less than 5 years ago he was rejected and told to reapply when the five years was up. The reason is a clear one, if he was out on operations and his medication ran out or was lost and he has an asthma attack, he is now a liability. The same can be said for hayfever, if you run out of medication in a foreign climate full of pollen or things that cause it to flare up, how can you operate effectively? How can they get the medication to you quickly? Glasses are completely different, your life is not threatened if you lose them whilst out in theatre. It's harsh as yes, serving personnel can contract conditions that require medication but by not recruiting those with the conditions you minimise the risk.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by teasin_tina
One of my cadets got rejected as he had asthma as a child but because he was still prescribed inhalers until less than 5 years ago he was rejected and told to reapply when the five years was up. The reason is a clear one, if he was out on operations and his medication ran out or was lost and he has an asthma attack, he is now a liability. The same can be said for hayfever, if you run out of medication in a foreign climate full of pollen or things that cause it to flare up, how can you operate effectively? How can they get the medication to you quickly? Glasses are completely different, your life is not threatened if you lose them whilst out in theatre. It's harsh as yes, serving personnel can contract conditions that require medication but by not recruiting those with the conditions you minimise the risk.

I can operate effectively with a blocked nose (which is the worse that happens), its no different from the feeling of having a cold exept I dont feel ill. I train everyday in rain and all weathers it doesnt stop me from doing anything. Obviously I cant say for sure about other climates but if humans cant operate effectively with a blocked nose (which is the worst of it) the human race is lame lol.

The medication im on (nasal spray) acts in the long term you dont just take it and it unblocks your nose, something like vicks would do that. It is supposed to act within 11 hours - several weeks although it often doesnt help me. So I wouldnt need the medication quickly its not like an asthma inhaler.

I still dont get how poor eye sight can not threaten lives in a battle. Also with glasses on its hard to see in rain etc from what ive heard.
(edited 11 years ago)
It's a reliance on medication, regardless of symptoms, their effect or timescale. Just because it doesn't affect you badly doesn't mean others are the same and if they bend the rules for you then they must for everyone. I know it's difficult but you wanted to know why it would stop you from joining and that is the reason. I was told that if I had a reliance on any medication for any condition I would be hard pressed to join.
Reply 19
Original post by teasin_tina
It's a reliance on medication, regardless of symptoms, their effect or timescale. Just because it doesn't affect you badly doesn't mean others are the same and if they bend the rules for you then they must for everyone. I know it's difficult but you wanted to know why it would stop you from joining and that is the reason. I was told that if I had a reliance on any medication for any condition I would be hard pressed to join.

Theres just a huge difference between a blocked nose and things like diabetes etc which prevent people joining. Ive been mentioning glasses cause Id rather have what I have than have to wear glasses (eyesight being the most important sense) so Ive found it difficult to understand how people rely on glasses to see well get in. Im imagining the battle scenerio blocked nose v poor sight which would be more effective. Someone mentioned about chemical weapons that must be the reason the army must assume/have found theres a risk of rhinitis getting worse with chemicals etc like someone said.

Another thing I thought was that people had to keep themselves fit. I know 2 nurses in the army and they are both overweight they have said they hated the basic training and they have put on loads of weight since. Id be training everyday as I do now (cant get past 14 pull ups tho) and taking part in all the sports. Ive probably got the totally wrong idea about the army.

Quick Reply

Latest