The Student Room Group

hi i'm new and need help with an essay for English please help

[h="1"]We have to write "The Lady of Shalott" poem as a story PLEASE HELP!?[/h]Can anyone help me with Part 3?
Part 3 of orginial poem:

A bow-shot from her bower-eaves,
He rode between the barley sheaves,
The sun came dazzling thro' the leaves,
And flamed upon the brazen greaves
Of bold Sir Lancelot.
A red-cross knight for ever kneel'd
To a lady in his shield,
That sparkled on the yellow field,
Beside remote Shalott.

The gemmy bridle glitter'd free,
Like to some branch of stars we see
Hung in the golden Galaxy.
The bridle bells rang merrily
As he rode down to Camelot:
And from his blazon'd baldric slung
A mighty silver bugle hung,
And as he rode his armor rung
Beside remote Shalott.

All in the blue unclouded weather
Thick-jewell'd shone the saddle-leather,
The helmet and the helmet-feather
Burn'd like one burning flame together,
As he rode down to Camelot.
As often thro' the purple night,
Below the starry clusters bright,
Some bearded meteor, burning bright,
Moves over still Shalott.

His broad clear brow in sunlight glow'd;
On burnish'd hooves his war-horse trode;
From underneath his helmet flow'd
His coal-black curls as on he rode,
As he rode down to Camelot.
From the bank and from the river
He flashed into the crystal mirror,
"Tirra lirra," by the river
Sang Sir Lancelot.

She left the web, she left the loom,
She made three paces through the room,
She saw the water-lily bloom,
She saw the helmet and the plume,
She look'd down to Camelot.
Out flew the web and floated wide;
The mirror crack'd from side to side;
"The curse is come upon me," cried
The Lady of Shalott.

I need to change the poem into a story and so far I've done part 1 and 2.
Part 1 of what I wrote:

In a town called Camelot was a never-ending river that flowed gently round an island. Calming waters were edged with long fields of summer barley and rustling rye, which reached up as if to touch the sun. Winding through the fields was a charcoal road, silent as the small squeak of a mouse, no sound to be heard. Villagers walked through Camelot day after day, gazing at the lavender hued lilies around the island of Shalott, drenched in their sweet aroma. By the river bank stood crystal aspens and white covered willows which danced as the wind whispered. In the centre of the river on the island of Shalott was a grey stoned tower that no one ever went to. This was the mysterious tower where the Lady of Shalott lived. On the road trotted a blackish-brown horse trailing a heavy boat filled with transported goods. Rapidly rushing down the river, was a small boat with sails made of pure silk skimming down to Camelot. Nobody saw her in the day or at nightfall hidden away. Not a single person in sight of the tower and everyone wondered who she was. Only the men cutting the fields bright and early in the morning heard a beautiful-voiced woman singing a cheerful song. At night the tired workers whispered to each other that they could hear the wonderful, unique voice of a woman coming from the tower on the long, lush, green grass island.

Part 2 of what I wrote:

For endless hours she sat in her tower and weaved through days and nights a magical and colourful tapestry, because she overheard someone say that if she stayed and looked down to Camelot a curse would come upon her. Not knowing whether to believe it or not, she made the safest decision of hiding away in her tower, never to look out to the world ever again. Being alone, she didn’t seem to mind, but weaving her tapestry gave her company and something to do in the empty space of the tower. She viewed the mirror to the world outside and filled her tapestry with everything she could possibly see. Through her shining, clear mirror she glanced out to see a long distant road winding down to Camelot, the forever streaming river, grumpy country villagers and red cloaks of girls selling items at the market passing onward from the island of Shalott. Sometimes she saw a bunch of girls skipping happily in the village, a young man with brown long hair training to be a knight in dark red clothes the colour of blood and knights riding on speeding horses that come two by two. She had no loyal knight to call hers, but she was still delighted and happy enough to weave the mirrors extraordinary sights through each silent night. At twilight the silvery, shinning moon reflected off the light beams from the sun and was the special celebration for a young couple that had just got married and at this moment in time, The Lady of Shalott’s expression changed in a second, when she said “I am half-sick of shadows.”

there is also a part 4 which i don't understand but i think i will manage it by myself if anyone can help me with changing the part 3 of the poem which is above to a story it would be much appreciated.
thanks for taking your time to read this long question :smile:
i hope you can help me out thank you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending