The Student Room Group

Marxism

This is an assignment that I have to do, but seriously I don't know how to start, please help..........

"An internal conflict occurs inside the middle class. How can you turn it into a conflict that will be interesting from a Marxist point of view?"
"Remember that a conflict shall be in the service of the society."
Original post by baraluila
This is an assignment that I have to do, but seriously I don't know how to start, please help..........

"An internal conflict occurs inside the middle class. How can you turn it into a conflict that will be interesting from a Marxist point of view?"

Is that the entire assignment? That's pretty difficult to be honest.

I suppose it's aimed at considering Upper/Lower middle class conflict... is this definitely the entire assignment?
Reply 2
Original post by Hal.E.Lujah
Is that the entire assignment? That's pretty difficult to be honest.

I suppose it's aimed at considering Upper/Lower middle class conflict... is this definitely the entire assignment?

Yes it is..........
Yes it is..........

Well... what module is this in? Give us something to go on :smile:

I think Marx argued that the Middle classes naturally seek to distance themselves from what they see as the working class, and aspire to the upper classes because they typically see their position in society as quite secure, but would gradually become more radical and political as the capitalist system impacts upon their lives (wage freezes, rising food and fuel prices, spending cuts, longer hours etc). And ultimately the class barriers would disappear as the disparity between the bourgeois (owners of industry and capital) and the proletariat (everyone that provides services or skills for a wage) would be so great that the middle and lower classes would sort of merge together. In a way we're seeing elements of it now with more teachers going on strike and joining trade unions for example.

You could maybe talk about the conflict of the middle classes wanting to conform to their typically Conservative role in society, but at the same time wanting to become more political as the economy worsens and everyday living becomes more difficult.
I just really don't know what the question is here. Are you meant to construct a hypothetical conflict? Are you meant to construct elements of historical materialism?

And the last line doesn't make any sense :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending