The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SciFiRory
no he doesn't. he's not fit half the time and when he is his attitude is ****e, if he weren't English people wouldn't rate him half as much, he reminds me a bit of Anderson, glimpses of brilliance, but all too often unfit/injured.

Not really, he's been overplayed by wenger(pathetic management from wenger in fact) but he was arsenal's best player when they were off form, he's the only CM who beats his man, tries hard and controls the tempo of a game. I guess it's easy to look good in the arsenal team as they can be dog turd when watching, but wilshere is someone who would genuinely improve your team.

I wouldn't say he's unfit, I'd say he burnt out (again) when he just came back from a serious injury and got drafted into the first team playing in the christmas-march run in.
Why has Valencia traded his number 7 shirt back for the number 25?

Sent from my MOMO20-W2 using Tapatalk 4
Original post by UnknownGuy
Why has Valencia traded his number 7 shirt back for the number 25?

Because he's disgraced such a legendary number with his shocking performances last season, I guess it's better than being injured 70% of the time though like the last no 7. :colonhash:
In all seriousness maybe he thought he couldn't handle the pressure of being a main man...

If they don't answer the question he's probably planning to be the third choice goalkeeper :rofl:
Original post by jam277
Because he's disgraced such a legendary number with his shocking performances last season, I guess it's better than being injured 70% of the time though like the last no 7. :colonhash:
In all seriousness maybe he thought he couldn't handle the pressure of being a main man...

If they don't answer the question he's probably planning to be the third choice goalkeeper :rofl:

A sign of CR7 return?

Original post by UnknownGuy
A sign of CR7 return?

Doubt it...

https://twitter.com/rioferdy5/status/366850778104737792
Reply 8325
In case no one knows today's top story. Wayne Rooney is training with England.
to the doubters/ABU's in here;

"Moyes has never won anything"

nor has Pellinigrini yet everyone thinks City will overhaul an 11 point deficit with a bunch of new primaddona signings who are overpriced and over-rated...funny that.

"it's not the best squad"

really? Sir Alex must be the messiah then to have dominated last seasons title race so easily as we did, he's good, but 11 points of difference good? even he probably wouldn't claim that, I also would argue closer title races are a much better test of managerial ability than winning comfortably, United did well because the PLAYERS have a winning mentality, not just the manager, that hasn't changed and won't change. it's also a YOUNG squad, most of them will only improve this season, if Rooney is back as well then you have two of the worlds best going forward with him and Van Persie, that alone makes them favourites.

Chelsea were way off last season and still rely too much on an old racist CB and Lampard's goals, the latter won't be enough anymore to win them the league, people are a bit barmy if they think young Lukaku is ready yet to bring title winning goals and Ba/Torres just aren't up to scratch for that either.

United have to be the favourites, if you don't believe me, ask the man who scored 56 goals in the league over the last 2 seasons, Robin Van Persie, the man who scored two goals just yesterday, with his goals any side would be in the hunt unless they are utterly mismanaged and the rest of the team is dire (which is not the case, this is United remember, not Arsenal!)

I look forward to watching the WUM brigade crying and winging all year long as usual, keep deluding yourselves by all means, but the team that won a trophy yesterday are the easy favourites to be doing the same come May!
Reply 8327
Tbf, Fergie is the messiah.

How can a squad whose main defenders, midfielders, and strikers are 30+ be considered young? Pretty sure your average age will come around 25-27. That's such an Arsenal line. We've trademarked that :smug:

Is that post from Redcafe?
Original post by 419

How can a squad whose main defenders, midfielders, and strikers are 30+ be considered young? Pretty sure your average age will come around 25-27. That's such an Arsenal line. We've trademarked that :smug:

he's good, but he's not "that" good imo, nobody can take a team as bad as people think we are to the title by 11 points, it's just impossible.

De Gea, Jones, Evans, Smalling, Rafael, Fabio, Buttner, Zaha, Anderson, Cleverely, Rooney, Hernandez, Wellbeck...none of them are over 28.

posted it to a few places.
Fair points, but Chelsea and City underperformed a lot last season.

We'll see how things go this time around.
Original post by NathanW18
Fair points, but Chelsea and City underperformed a lot last season.

We'll see how things go this time around.

Chelsea I would agree with but they didn't underperform by 14 points worth, Benitez isn't a mug...(much as it pains me to admit that :tongue:)

City had Mancini as manager who has a vastly superior record in every way to Pelligrini yet finished 11 points behind as well...
Original post by 419

Which is young...

27 - 28 is about average, 26 and below young. It's often said that 27 is the "ideal" average age - that mix of youth and experience.
Chelsea I would agree with but they didn't underperform by 14 points worth, Benitez isn't a mug...(much as it pains me to admit that :tongue:)

City had Mancini as manager who has a vastly superior record in every way to Pelligrini yet finished 11 points behind as well...

We lost to QPR at home and managed to let southampton come back from 2-0 down, same goes for reading. All 3 of those games were unacceptable. I could understand losing to southampton away, but being 2-0 up against them at home and not winning is pathetic. That's clearly an underacheivement considering they were all must win games.

That would also be 82 points. Which while it's not a great challenge does sound better than being 14 points away from united.

The run at the end of the season was great, but had he'd done that a few weeks earlier we'd have made second place comfortably.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by River85
Which is young...

27 - 28 is about average, 26 and below young. It's often said that 27 is the "ideal" average age - that mix of youth and experience.

Tbh there's a good mix, united's age isn't as young as people make it out to be. I think vidic and ferdinand are the main CB pairing when fit, evra first choice, carrick first choice and rooney+RVP first choice most likely if rooney stays. That's 4 people in the first 11 over 30, and 2 players who are getting to 30 years old now.

It's just offsetted by you guys integrating young players such as rafael, DDG, cleverley (just about fits), and kagawa which makes the age lower. I'd say it's a good mix of youth and experience, considering that the squad players or rotation options are all pretty young so make up for a first 11 that's ageing.
Original post by jam277
We lost to QPR at home and managed to let southampton come back from 2-0 down, same goes for reading. All 3 of those games were unacceptable. I could understand losing to southampton away, but being 2-0 up against them at home and not winning is pathetic. That's clearly an underacheivement considering they were all must win games.

The run at the end of the season was great, but had he'd done that a few weeks earlier we'd have made second place comfortably.

even those 3 games don't make up 14 points...and that's presupposing we didn't "underperform" in any games (which we did)

I actually think you will be bigger challengers to us than City this season, I don't go along with the "Pelligrini is God" dogma of the media and some football fans at all, I also don't rate most of their signings either, you at least have a manager who has a lot of clout, if you get a good CF then I will be a lot more worried though.
Reply 8335
Original post by River85
Which is young...

Oh come on, 25 is not young. By that token, you consider Johnny Evans a youngster.

I agree with your points. I don't know what to think about City, but Chelsea will be great this year. If we don't win, they will.

I also like the balance of youth and experience in our team. We have both everywhere on the pitch. I don't think our team is young, because half of the first teamers are 30+, but the balance within the squad is good.
Original post by 419
Oh come on, 25 is not young. By that token, you consider Johnny Evans a youngster.

in football it is quite young actually, the consensus is generally that players "peak" between 26-32 in most positions, so if you are 25 you probably aren't at your peak just yet.

most players will play till at least 34 nowadays as well, so at 25 you still have probably a decade in you.
even those 3 games don't make up 14 points...and that's presupposing we didn't "underperform" in any games (which we did)

I actually think you will be bigger challengers to us than City this season, I don't go along with the "Pelligrini is God" dogma of the media and some football fans at all, I also don't rate most of their signings either, you at least have a manager who has a lot of clout, if you get a good CF then I will be a lot more worried though.

I know, I edited my post. I agree that you did underperform in some games and by the end of the season when you tailed off a little you'd won the title already. But 82 points isn't a bad tally, I said a lot of times why I never expected a title last season but around the 75-85 mark.

We revamped the whole team and changed the style of play which takes time with the transition, hence why we had poor inconsistent seasons in the league but did good in the cups. But bar that we did well.

Pellegrini is a great manager tbh. I know he's not won trophies like moyes but if you compare the situations pellegrini did amazingly well. Coming above barca in the league in 08, getting to a CL semi final with villareal, getting a record points total with real madrid, getting a malaga side with financial problems 1 min away from a CL semi final. I think by that he's more proven than moyes, although there are a couple of question marks.

The signings seem pretty good tbh. I suggest you watch fernandinho especially. Negredo got 25 goals last season, jovetic got 15 in Serie A as a second striker/winger and navas offers another dimension, a problem with city's play was the lack of width and they've got that option now. I'd say that they've almost perfected their team and got rid of the ego's of mancini/hughes era, all they need to do is just gel.
Reply 8339
in football it is quite young actually, the consensus is generally that players "peak" between 26-32 in most positions, so if you are 25 you probably aren't at your peak just yet.

most players will play till at least 34 nowadays as well, so at 25 you still have probably a decade in you.

No it isn't. In golf when players peak at 70s maybe. But in football when many players start playing at 17; no way is 25 young.

Is Johnny Evans a youngster?
(edited 10 years ago)

Latest