The Student Room Group

Help!! Need to decide soon!

Hey everyone, I'm new here.

Basically, I did my A Levels last year, lived in Germany afterwards and then spent some time in Uruguay.

I speak French, German and Spanish fluently and have applied to study French and Spanish, French and German and French.

I now need to choose which University to go to.

All of my offers are unconditional, which means that I need to accept one by 4th May, and reject the rest.

Offers:
French at University of London in Paris
French and Hispanic studies at Nottingham
French and German at Bristol
French and Hispanic studies at Manchester

I am seriously considering going to Paris, but was wondering two things:

1) Is it a waste to only study French, considering I am completely fluent in other languages?
2) Has anybody heard of the University of London in Paris, and its reputation?

Sorry that it's a bit late... Only 4 days to go before make-your-mind-up-day!

Comments and ideas would be greatly received.

David

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Well, if you went to Paris, you'd come out with an English degree and be completely fluent in French - it depends what you want to do... I want to do translation/interpreting for an international organisation (fingers crossed!), so I need to study at least 2 languages to degree level. So choose whatever you want to do most and whatever will fit in with career plans best. From what I can see they're all great courses but why didn't you apply for French, German and Spanish at Nottingham? (Out of interest)
Erm... you say you're fluent... if that's the case then why are you studying it?
Reply 3
Mother's French, and with quite a nomadic family, I've lived in a lot of ex French colonies as well as Spanish speaking countries.

It's like asking why anybody would study English to degree level...
davidj
Mother's French, and with quite a nomadic family, I've lived in a lot of ex French colonies as well as Spanish speaking countries.

Not really because English degrees in the UK are designed for native speakers, whereas degrees in French/German/Spanish/whatever in the UK are designed for people learning it as a foreign language.
Reply 5
davidj

Not really. Language degrees in the UK are designed for people with A Levels in the language. A Levels hardly make you fluent, so you will find that the degree will be a bit easy for you (in the 1s year anyway).
We can't really make your decision for you, and these are our opinions.
I persoally think that they are all great universities, although personally I'd be more inclined towards Bristol and Nottingham. The London University in Paris is good, but as you said you would be graduating with just French, and I think it would be better to graduate with 2 rather than 1.
Out of Nottingham and Bristol I would say Bristol. It has a great reutation overall and especially for languages. However these are just my opinions. This decision has to be made by you.
Reply 6
Er - As much as I hate to be the naysayer, I really have to agree with rockthecasbah - you appear to have had an absolute mare with your course choices.

Why on earth are you studying 3 languages that you're already fluent in? It's not at all like studying English to degree level, as 'English' in fact means 'English Literature' - whereas foreign language courses are geared 90% around the language.

At the risk of being extreme, I suggest you seriously consider reapplying to a course that you haven't already done, for all intents and purposes.
Reply 7
Gravastar
Er - As much as I hate to be the naysayer, I really have to agree with rockthecasbah - you appear to have had an absolute mare with your course choices.

Why on earth are you studying 3 languages that you're already fluent in? It's not at all like studying English to degree level, as 'English' in fact means 'English Literature' - whereas foreign language courses are geared 90% around the language.

At the risk of being extreme, I suggest you seriously consider reapplying to a course that you haven't already done, for all intents and purposes.

Are they? I do 1.5 units worth of language a year out of 4. All the other courses I do would be, and are, as there are plenty of them in my classes, perfectly suitable for native speakers. I think as long as the OP finds a university which gives him a lot of scope with literature, linguistics, history, cinema, whatever floats his boat, it would perfectly fine, and intellectually demanding enough for him to study a UK language course. He won't have to sit through hours of pointless languages classes - at my uni at least, all the native speakers have to do English-German translation, but that's it language-wise (and slightly different anyway). Of course, he could go and study a French degree at a French university, but what if he wants a UK degree for whatever reason?

However, if he has only decided to do a degree in French or whatever because he's fluent in it and has no interest otherwise, then I do think that's a waste of time. But I'm sure that's not the case...
Reply 8
Why on earth did you apply for just French in Paris anyway?

Isn't this just a complete waste of 4 years of your life?

You could be doing a subject to complement your fluency in 3 languages like European Studies, International Relations or Business Studies - ypu could always visit those countries to keep up your languages.
Reply 9
gringalet
Are they? I do 1.5 units worth of language a year out of 4. All the other courses I do would be, and are, as there are plenty of them in my classes, perfectly suitable for native speakers. I think as long as the OP finds a university which gives him a lot of scope with literature, linguistics, history, cinema, whatever floats his boat, it would perfectly fine, and intellectually demanding enough for him to study a UK language course. He won't have to sit through hours of pointless languages classes - at my uni at least, all the native speakers have to do English-German translation, but that's it language-wise (and slightly different anyway). Of course, he could go and study a French degree at a French university, but what if he wants a UK degree for whatever reason?

Well, suit yourself - but to me it seems like a complete waste of 3 years - even if you DO intend to avoid as many language modules as possible, you still won't get as much out of it as you would from a course that wasn't fundamentally based around learning a foreign language.
I suppose that yeah, most of the native speakers in the same department as me are getting the English aspect out of it...but then I don't see how the OP wouldn't get ANYTHING out of studying French literature at a uni in the UK, or whatever, just because he already speaks the language. If this is what he wants to do, if nothing else interests him, then he may as well.

I don't know how far degrees with a language name in their title are just about learning how to communicate in another language, but then to me when people say 'learning a foreign language' it always just sounds like learning grammar and vocabulary, which I don't think it's about at all. You learn the language to access another culture and all it entails.

He wouldn't be avoiding anything - most departments welcome native speakers and their equivalents, as it's not all about learning language. It's not like native speakers doing GCSEs and A-levels, which is a bit of a joke.
Reply 11
Gravastar

Yes, you are being extreme.
At anytime in this post did I say that I was unsure that I had picked the correct course? No.
Was I simply looking for an answer with an explanation as to which of my offers would be, in the readers' opinion, the best? Yes.

I'm actually quite surprised at how much I've been slated in here. Is it not enough to say that I am interested in French?

Thank you, gringalet, for your good post.

Any more suggestions, particularly about ULIP would be appreciated.

David
Hey, don't get defensive just because I pointed out how incredibly lazy you're being :rolleyes:
Reply 13
davidj
Yes, you are being extreme.
At anytime in this post did I say that I was unsure that I had picked the correct course? No.
Was I simply looking for an answer with an explanation as to which of my offers would be, in the readers' opinion, the best? Yes.

I'm actually quite surprised at how much I've been slated in here. Is it not enough to say that I am interested in French?

Thank you, gringalet, for your good post.

Any more suggestions, particularly about ULIP would be appreciated.

David

I wouldn't have said that you were being slated, but to be fair what you are doing is like me applying for an English degree in Spain or France; I'm already fluent so I would be at a huge advantage and would probably find at least the first 2 years stupidly easy.
Reply 14
If you wanted to immerse yourself fully in the French degree, you should go for the university in Paris. At least you know that by the end of it you'll come out pretty much fluent, as you'll have spend 3 or 4 years in France.
brimstone
At least you know that by the end of it you'll come out pretty much fluent, as you'll have spend 3 or 4 years in France.

He's already fluent. This thread is a joke. :rolleyes:
He really won't find the two years 'stupidly easy' though, this is my point - he WILL NOT have to do the language classes that you or I are/will be doing. He will fill his time up with literature, linguistics etc, which is no easier for a native speaker. Just because you speak English doesn't mean you will be inherently good at doing English literature at a university in France or Spain, or anywhere. The only way he'll find the degree 'stupidly easy' is if he has done a French degree before! Of course, native speakers in departments usually are getting the English aspect of studying in the UK, but I know a few people - including a person on this forum actually, Dschingis - who are fluent in German and English, by virtue of having English-speaking parents and growing up in Germany, who are studying German at university as they are simply interested in it! They do not have to do the A-level-esque core course, they do translation from and into the respective languages. Besides, as I have moaned on plenty of times on this forum, languages at university is not just abouting learning the actual language!

Anyway, I think if I was in the OP's situation, and had happened to have grown up bi- or trilingual, if I had a deep interest in one of the languages I spoke, I would do that and start another language from scratch.

Hope you worked out what to do, davidj :smile:
Reply 17
gringalet
He really won't find the two years 'stupidly easy' though, this is my point - he WILL NOT have to do the language classes that you or I are/will be doing. He will fill his time up with literature, linguistics etc, which is no easier for a native speaker. Just because you speak English doesn't mean you will be inherently good at doing English literature at a university in France or Spain, or anywhere. The only way he'll find the degree 'stupidly easy' is if he has done a French degree before! Of course, native speakers in departments usually are getting the English aspect of studying in the UK, but I know a few people - including a person on this forum actually, Dschingis - who are fluent in German and English, by virtue of having English-speaking parents and growing up in Germany, who are studying German at university as they are simply interested in it! They do not have to do the A-level-esque core course, they do translation from and into the respective languages. Besides, as I have moaned on plenty of times on this forum, languages at university is not just abouting learning the actual language!

Anyway, I think if I was in the OP's situation, and had happened to have grown up bi- or trilingual, if I had a deep interest in one of the languages I spoke, I would do that and start another language from scratch.

Hope you worked out what to do, davidj :smile:

Well, I'm in a bit similar situation. I used to be bilingual (Polish German), but now that I have lived in Poland for 6 years I'm no longer 'that' fluent in German. I'm not that keen on taking German at Uni, but its the only way not to forget the language completely. Anyway, I thought I'd be able to skip the language classes and only join the literature, translation etc. but it's not possible. The post-A-level-language-lecures are obligatory... And I think it will be just so boring. The point is I have no idea how your friends can skip the compulsory subjects, or maybe it differs from uni to uni and in some unis those are not compulsory, but I have not found such a uni...
kashiya
Well, I'm in a bit similar situation. I used to be bilingual (Polish German), but now that I have lived in Poland for 6 years I'm no longer 'that' fluent in German. I'm not that keen on taking German at Uni, but its the only way not to forget the language completely. Anyway, I thought I'd be able to skip the language classes and only join the literature, translation etc. but it's not possible. The post-A-level-language-lecures are obligatory... And I think it will be just so boring. The point is I have no idea how your friends can skip the compulsory subjects, or maybe it differs from uni to uni and in some unis those are not compulsory, but I have not found such a uni...

Here at King's College London, at the start of the first semester we all had to take a grammar test. Those who scored highly (including myself, actually, although I'm no native speaker, but I had to go and see one of the lecturers to decide which language course would be suitable) were generally native or near-native speakers, and they do not have to do the language core course, as it's called; instead, they have to do translation from and into English and German, as some kind of 'language' course is compulsory each year. So, at my uni at least it's not compulsory, and I would hope it happens at others. Which uni(s) are you referring to? I find that very strange. I suppose some departments aren't as welcoming to (near-)native speakers as others...
Reply 19
I think you should definitely do German davidj. If you want to work with languages then German is a good choice as you need to be well trained in translation etc. in order to translate as we all know it's a very complex language and being fluent in spoken German isn't enough to translate at a high level.

Latest

Trending

Trending