The Student Room Group

Need help

So I want to study medicine but at the same time I love music and need a good medicine uni that has facilities for music for example , clubs and lessons or ways to improve singing. But the websites do not give any information about this and I need a short list of uni that do that so I can visit them on open days and decide what uni I want to go to. So please help.
FYI: i don't think i will get into the best universities as I didn't do amazing compared to other students that want to do medicine but I got 3A* 6A and 4B in GCSEs and will properly get AAB in a levels. But I have a very good personal statement so maybe that will help.
Reply 1
Original post by studentneedshelp
So I want to study medicine but at the same time I love music and need a good medicine uni that has facilities for music for example , clubs and lessons or ways to improve singing. But the websites do not give any information about this and I need a short list of uni that do that so I can visit them on open days and decide what uni I want to go to. So please help.
FYI: i don't think i will get into the best universities as I didn't do amazing compared to other students that want to do medicine but I got 3A* 6A and 4B in GCSEs and will properly get AAB in a levels. But I have a very good personal statement so maybe that will help.

i think you need to do a bit more research before you apply. all medical schools are of an equal standing and are equally as competitive to get into. you need AAA minimum without exception to get into any. a good personal statement will not make up for this. and some unis have GCSE cut off points e.g. Birmingham say you need 8A*'s minimum at GCSE to apply. So first work your hardest to get AAA and then look at which places you meet the requirements for before you worry about music.
Reply 2

You need to speak to your UCAS adviser as Medicine with AAB (unless you have special circumstances) is completely unheard of all will have AAA-A*A*A* predictions and potentially a 4th Alevel.
A friend at my school is doing 5 Alevels with a mixture of A and A* predictions 12A*s at GCSE and was rejected, possibly because she doesn't have as much work experience, so that is something you need to consider.
My brother is currently studying Medicine and achieved 5A's at Alevel, he comes from a public school and is the only one that does in his year so I think coming from a private helps, which I don't know if you are or not.
I think Birmingham will not be an option as one of their requirements is a lot of A*s at GCSE
Anything else you need to know?
I understand its hard but I'm applying through a widening access course so minimum requirement is BBC for Southampton so I have checked. My choices are
oxford
Nottingham
kings
Southampton

but there is nothing about music
Reply 4
I understand its hard but I'm applying through a widening access course so minimum requirement is BBC for Southampton so I have checked. My choices are
oxford
Nottingham
kings
Southampton

but there is nothing about music

Being brutally honest, Oxford will bin you straight away with the GCSEs and A Levels. People who have straight A*s and As end up being turned down, so even the best personal statement won't help you there. That said, the music scene here is excellent and most universities will have societies you can get involved in relating to music.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending