The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3100
Explain why the values for the pressure in the xylem are negative.
I'm a noob and don't know how to reply but thank you very much. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Aiden1996
oh god, i really don't know them much at all! thanks anyway and good luck tomorrow :smile:

Well with haploid cells, all you need to know is that during Meiosis you half the number of chromosomes, which results in these type of cells.

With crossing over which occurs in the division of cells, is basically the chromosomes cross to form bivalents where genetic information is exchanged between them in a process known as genetic recombination. You will have different alleles but the same genes.

With Independent assortment when the homologous chromosomes line up during the first division they segregate randomly, there are millions of possible combinations of chromosomes in each nucleus.

This in all increases genetic diversity

Hope this helped

Good luck :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PoorLoser
Thanks a lot really appreciate it!!

btw is the xylem vessel the same as the capillary tube?

I'm not sure about it being the same as the capillary tube, I think to be safe I'd stick with xylem vessel personally :smile:
Original post by Linked
Explain why the values for the pressure in the xylem are negative.

xylem pressure is lower than atmospheric pressure :smile: I remember memorising this from a markscheme
Original post by chloflorence
They're the worst! Who even cares about plants? I'm starting a Human Biology degree in September and chose it so I never had to work with plants again!

Haha, LOL. Good riddance, goold luck tomorrow.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Magenta96
xylem pressure is lower than atmospheric pressure :smile: I remember memorising this from a markscheme

Is xylem pressure the same as root pressure or cohesion tension..I'm a little confused..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Goodnight all! Good luck for tomorrow,feeling optimistic for tomorrow :smile: should be fun haha!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jimmy20002012
Well with haploid cells, all you need to know is that during Meiosis you half the number of chromosomes, which results in these type of cells.

With crossing over which occurs in the division of cells, is basically the chromosomes cross to form bivalents where genetic information is exchanged between them in a process known as genetic recombination. You will have different alleles but the same genes.

With Independent assortment when the homologous chromosomes line up during the first division they segregate randomly, there are millions of possible combinations of chromosomes in each nucleus.

This in all increases genetic diversity

Hope this helped

Good luck :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanky you! yeah this did really help feel a lot more confident if it comes up now! and good luck to you too :biggrin:
Original post by Thebest786
Haha, LOL. Good riddance, goold luck tomorrow.

Thank you, you too!!
Original post by oak12
no, only cohesion-tension is negative

Right, I think I've got it thanks.

Can anybody explain what root pressure is exactly?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3111
Good luck everyone!
Original post by x-Sophie-x

Posted from TSR Mobile

A minimal force created in the xylem, when water moves up, however it its only prominent in small plants

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

the endodermis will first actively transport mineral ions into the xylem. This will lower the water potential of the xylem and so water will enter the xylem by osmosis and down a water potential gradient. This water is then pushed up the xylem, which is why it's called root pressure.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Root pressure is a force which pull up water from the xylem to the leaves.

Active transport of ions/salts into the xylem
Lower water poetical
Water moves into xylem by osmosis
This creates a transpiration pull of water to the leaves, where the water is then transpired

:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
the endodermis will first actively transport mineral ions into the xylem. This will lower the water potential of the xylem and so water will enter the xylem by osmosis and down a water potential gradient. This water is then pushed up the xylem, which is why it's called root pressure.

Thank you! :h:

When the water is pushed up the xylem, is this cohesion tension due to the transpiration pull? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jimmy20002012
Root pressure is a force which pull up water from the xylem to the leaves.

Active transport of ions/salts into the xylem
Lower water poetical
Water moves into xylem by osmosis
This creates a transpiration pull of water to the leaves, where the water is then transpired

:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you!
But then what on earth is cohesion tension?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you! :h:

When the water is pushed up the xylem, is this cohesion tension due to the transpiration pull? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

nope, root pressure is just because of root pressure, so root pressure isn't strong enough to push water all the way up the xylem because only cohesion tension (the stronger pull) can do that. At least that's what my teacher said anyway.
Reply 3118
Jan 12
1c
How do you do it??

Posted from TSR Mobile
nope, root pressure is just because of root pressure, so root pressure isn't strong enough to push water all the way up the xylem because only cohesion tension (the stronger pull) can do that. At least that's what my teacher said anyway.

Ah, I see.
So the bottom of the xylem is root pressure, and at the top there is cohesion tension. I hope I'm making sense here :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending