The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

does anyone have any guesses to topics which are likely to come up?
Original post by blondie24

Movement of water through a plant!
Original post by lauraddie
Movement of water through a plant!

is that like transpiration pull and cohesion tension?:confused:
Original post by DrFantastic
Was wondering if anyone could help me out;

I'm revising Mitosis but I'm so confused on cell cycle.

I know Mitosis is split into Interphase, Prophase, Metaphase, Anaphase and Telophase but when does the cell cycle start and end?

It's confusing and when there are questions asking "how long were the cells in Mitosis", how on earth do you go about working them out?

Any help at all is appreciated, please quote :smile:

OK...so...(sorry, if you've already been answered but this will help me with my revision! )

Mitosis is a phase during the cell cycle. The cell cycle is like a life cycle for the cell. In a sense, it starts after cytokinesis (cell splitting).

So, after the cell has split, a new cell is formed. This cell goes into the G1 phase of interphase. It starts to build new organelles and stuff and just generally ticks along...then it goes into the S phase of interphase and replicates its DNA...then finally into the G2 phase, where it does its cell job. ie. it produces proteins and stuff.

After G2, it needs to divide to produce more cells because this cell is getting old/worn-out. It goes into prophase. The chromosomes become visible and the nuclear envelope disappears...

It goes into metaphase...spindle forms and chromosomes line up in the centre of the cell...

It goes into anaphase...spindle fibres shorten and pull the chromatids apart.

It goes into telophase...spindle disappears and cell begins to split in half (cytokinesis)

Now there are two new cells. These each go into G1 of interphase, then S phase of interphase, then G2 phase of interphase, then prophase, then metaphase, then anaphase, then telophase, then they split and produce two more...then the cycle goes round again!

So, here is the cycle for a new cell:

Interphase (G1, S, G2) - Prophase - Metaphase - Anaphase - Telophase

MOST of a cell's life is interphase...a very, very small part of the cycle of cell life is when the cell divides and this is right at the very end of the cell's life...it would be like, living your whole life for about 80 years and then giving birth (or splitting in half..:s-smilie:).

So, it differs in all cells for 'how long the cells were in mitosis.' But it's a very small amount of time after interphase (the cell's main life). I think they'd give you data/statistics in the exam to work out...basically just add up the time in prophase, metaphase, anaphase and telophase = mitosis time.

Mitosis (prophase, metaphase, anaphase and telophase) is only a tiny part of the cell's life. Most of it is interphase.
The grade boundaries are so low on unit 2! You can drop like 26 marks and still get an A!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1665
Original post by Jimmy20002012
Could anyone explain quickly the appoplast and symplast pathway, does water in both travel by osmosis?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Basically water wants to get from the soil into the xylem vessels. It can do this by 2 methods or 'pathways' called the SYMPLAST PATHWAY or APOPLAST PATHWAY. (Might be useful if you get a labelled diagram showing xylem/root hair cell etc whilst reading this).

Symplast Pathway

In the Symplast pathway, water moves through the CYTOPLASMS of the cells.
Water diffuses along a water potential gradient through PORES between the cells of the Cortex called plasmodesmata. The Cortex is simply all the cells between the Root hair cell and the Xylem vessel.

Apoplast Pathway

In the Apoplast pathway, water moves through the CELL WALLS of the cells.
Water stops at the ENDODERMIS as there is a CASPARIAN STRIP which prevents the water from passing further, making the water pass through a membrane by osmosis down a water potential gradient INTO THE SYMPLAST PATHWAY, which is useful as it prevents harmful substances such as toxins or viruses from entering the xylem vessels as the membrane would not let them past.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

EXTRA

- Water potential in the root hair cell is lowered by the active transport of mineral ions from the soil, hence water can move from the soil into them down a water potential gradient.

Watch this, if you need more help:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWNtXw-MWtE

Pretty much everything comes up in these papers because they're soooo long!

Posted from TSR Mobile
is that like transpiration pull and cohesion tension?:confused:

Yeah, all that sort of stuff :smile: And how the water is taken up into the xylem etc..
Original post by Sorro10
Basically water wants to get from the soil into the xylem vessels. It can do this by 2 methods or 'pathways' called the SYMPLAST PATHWAY or APOPLAST PATHWAY. (Might be useful if you get a labelled diagram showing xylem/root hair cell etc whilst reading this).

Symplast Pathway

In the Symplast pathway, water moves through the CYTOPLASMS of the cells.
Water diffuses along a water potential gradient through PORES between the cells of the Cortex called plasmodesmata. The Cortex is simply all the cells between the Root hair cell and the Xylem vessel.

Apoplast Pathway

In the Apoplast pathway, water moves through the CELL WALLS of the cells.
Water stops at the ENDODERMIS as there is a CASPARIAN STRIP which prevents the water from passing further, making the water pass through a membrane by osmosis down a water potential gradient INTO THE SYMPLAST PATHWAY, which is useful as it prevents harmful substances such as toxins or viruses from entering the xylem vessels as the membrane would not let them past.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

EXTRA

- Water potential in the root hair cell is lowered by the active transport of mineral ions from the soil, hence water can move from the soil into them down a water potential gradient.

Watch this, if you need more help:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWNtXw-MWtE

You are my hero :biggrin: :biggrin:

Just one quick question, is it both of then travel by osmosis?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Could anyone explain quickly the appoplast and symplast pathway, does water in both travel by osmosis?

Posted from TSR Mobile

In the apoplast pathway, water enters the root hair cell in the soil. It travels along the cellulose cell walls of the cortex cells. It travels by osmosis. It can do this because the cellulose has a mesh-like structure which allows the water to pass through it. It carries on until it reaches the Casparian strip (which is waterproof) in the endodermis cells...it then has to diffuse into the "last" cell and enter the xylem normally.

In the symplast pathway, the water crosses the cell-surface membrane of the root hair cell and moves, via osmosis, through the cytoplasm of the cells in the cortex, down a concentration gradient (because water is leaving the xylem all the time). The water can move freely along the cells because they are connected by plasmodesmata which are little strips of cytoplasm.

So yes, they both rely on osmosis. But they differ in the location:

apoplast = cellulose cell wall - eventually blocked by Casparian strip
symplast = cytoplasm, made continuous by plasmodesmata.

Also, Sorro10 is absolutely, wonderfully correct! Follow his advice too.
(edited 10 years ago)
Anyone have model answer for advantages of counter flow current rather than parrallel flow in fish? Thanks!
Reply 1671
Q1D JAN13 -

How do you work out magnification guys?

Thank you.
Original post by lauraddie
Could somebody briefly describe DNA hybridisation?Thank you :smile:

OK so, it's a method of finding out how closely related two different species are.

You go to a lab and this is what you do...

1. Samples of DNA are taken from the two different species. They are heated separately. The heating breaks the hydrogen bonds holding the two polynucleotide strands together and therefore, the strands separate.

2. The two samples of DNA (from the two different species) are mixed together and allowed to cool. The strands of DNA will try to bond with hydrogen bonds to get back into the helical structure...they don't like being on their own...This means that the strands of the different species will try to bond = hybridise.

3. The hybridised strands are heated until they separate. The precise temperature at which they separate is recorded.

So, if I've got a chimp-human hybrid strand and it separates at 45.23 C.
and I have a gorilla-human hybrid strand that separates at 23.65 C.
Then I can see that the chimp-human strand has formed more hydrogen bonds because it needed more heat to break them. On the other hand, the gorilla-human strand did not need as much heat because less bonds were formed.

So, I can infer that chimps and humans are more closely related than gorillas and humans...because chimp and human DNA form more bonds than chimp and gorilla.

Basically, if one of the strands of the human read as AGTCGC for example,
and the chimp strand read as TCAGAT...then the first four bases would pair because they are complementary...the last two wouldn't. So, chimps and humans would have a lot of similar base sequences.

Does this make sense? I hope so :redface:
Original post by PR11NCE
Q1D JAN13 -

How do you work out magnification guys?

Thank you.

Magnification = image size/Actual size

Remember to convert to micrometers :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jaydude
Anyone have model answer for advantages of counter flow current rather than parrallel flow in fish? Thanks!

I don't know about 'model answer' but I'll explain it a bit...

Countercurrent flow is more efficient than parallel flow for diffusion in the gill lamellae of fish.

The water, which has its maximum concentration of oxygen, meets blood which has a high concentration of oxygen. Therefore, there is a concentration gradient which favours the diffusion of oxygen from the water into the blood. As the water moves along the gill lamella, it consistently meets blood with a lower concentration of oxygen, therefore oxygen continues to diffuse from the water into the blood. As the water leaves the gill lamella, it has a low concentration of oxygen, but this concentration is still higher than that of the blood, therefore diffusion still occurs. 80% of the oxygen in the water can enter the blood.

If it were parallel flow, only 50% maximum could be achieved because the blood and water would reach an isotonic point half way along the lamella and therefore the last half of the lamella would be a pointless to diffusion.

So, countercurrent flow achieves more diffusion of oxygen into the blood. Parallel flow achieves diffusion, but not as much as countercurrent flow.
Original post by BingTaoBing
I don't know about 'model answer' but I'll explain it a bit...

Countercurrent flow is more efficient than parallel flow for diffusion in the gill lamellae of fish.

The water, which has its maximum concentration of oxygen, meets blood which has a high concentration of oxygen. Therefore, there is a concentration gradient which favours the diffusion of oxygen from the water into the blood. As the water moves along the gill lamella, it consistently meets blood with a lower concentration of oxygen, therefore oxygen continues to diffuse from the water into the blood. As the water leaves the gill lamella, it has a low concentration of oxygen, but this concentration is still higher than that of the blood, therefore diffusion still occurs. 80% of the oxygen in the water can enter the blood.

If it were parallel flow, only 50% maximum could be achieved because the blood and water would reach an isotonic point half way along the lamella and therefore the last half of the lamella would be a pointless to diffusion.

So, countercurrent flow achieves more diffusion of oxygen into the blood. Parallel flow achieves diffusion, but not as much as countercurrent flow.

A good answer :smile: remember to include something along the lines of 'concentration gradient is maintained across the entire gill'
Original post by BingTaoBing
OK so, it's a method of finding out how closely related two different species are.

You go to a lab and this is what you do...

1. Samples of DNA are taken from the two different species. They are heated separately. The heating breaks the hydrogen bonds holding the two polynucleotide strands together and therefore, the strands separate.

2. The two samples of DNA (from the two different species) are mixed together and allowed to cool. The strands of DNA will try to bond with hydrogen bonds to get back into the helical structure...they don't like being on their own...This means that the strands of the different species will try to bond = hybridise.

3. The hybridised strands are heated until they separate. The precise temperature at which they separate is recorded.

So, if I've got a chimp-human hybrid strand and it separates at 45.23 C.
and I have a gorilla-human hybrid strand that separates at 23.65 C.
Then I can see that the chimp-human strand has formed more hydrogen bonds because it needed more heat to break them. On the other hand, the gorilla-human strand did not need as much heat because less bonds were formed.

So, I can infer that chimps and humans are more closely related than gorillas and humans...because chimp and human DNA form more bonds than chimp and gorilla.

Basically, if one of the strands of the human read as AGTCGC for example,
and the chimp strand read as TCAGAT...then the first four bases would pair because they are complementary...the last two wouldn't. So, chimps and humans would have a lot of similar base sequences.

Does this make sense? I hope so :redface:

Ah, that's awesome! Thank you so much :smile:
Reply 1677
Original post by Suzanna5678
Yeah but you just don't know what you're gonna get with how science works questions

nah you'll be fine :smile: just think them through and think about which part of the spec they are asking about. Some of the topics feel complicated but if you look at markschemes and the questions they ask there not so bad
Then again im doing unit5 and that might just make this seem simple :tongue:
unit5 is a killerrrrrrrr :mad: aha
With immunological comparisons do you add a protein from another species into another which produces serum as they see it as a non self, and then you add this to the protein you added and the amount of precipitate determines how closely related the species is? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
With immunological comparisons do you add a protein from another species into another which produces serum as they see it as a non self, and then you add this to the protein you added and the amount of precipitate determines how closely related the species is? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

i was about to ask a similar question;

Do we need to know the step by step process of the above? Or just the advantages/disadvantages of method? Thanks!

Latest

Trending

Trending