The Student Room Group

Anyone planning to travel alone in 2013?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Robaij
im going travelling around australia in october! alone!exciting.

Ahh wicked!

I'd love to travel to Australia! I'd love to travel with someone though, I don't know where to meet people to travel with? I have a couchsurfing profile, but there's a lot of hipsters and "Back-packers"... I just want genuine cool people to travel with, damn hard :P!!
Reply 21
Original post by alexs2602
If I can find the money and can't find anyone else to go with then I will. Company can be nice but if you want to go somewhere enough you won't let it stop you.

Where are you planning to go then? And it's true, don't wait around!

Original post by pizzle223
Hell yeah, where you off too?

Possibly Poland (Again) or Menorca (Again)... I'd ideally like to get to America, Chicago/Atlanta

Original post by Cll_ws
I'm travelling along the east coast of the US in March/April. My first time going it alone :excited:

Ahh awesome, that's also on my list, how old are you? And I'm excited for you man!
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by hull89
How much do you think i would need for a couple of months in thailand/ SE Asia. I want to go there for the summer and id like to have a budget in mind. any help is much appreciated!

It entirely depends what you want to do. I don't condone travelling alone though, not in Thailand. Food's cheap. Alcohol is (relatively) expensive. Accommodation varies. Haggle for everything! Tipping isn't the norm in most of Asia, don't let people tell you it is, but don't expect change either.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Anthony.BF
Ahh awesome, that's also on my list, how old are you? And I'm excited for you man!

I'll be 23. Don't really get a chance to travel too often but I plan to go to Amsterdam. Wanted to go last year but needed a new passport and put off applying for a new one because I couldn't find my old one to include with my application. Planned on going with uni last year but going by myself may be easier in some ways. More freedom to do what I want.
Reply 24
Original post by alexs2602
I'll be 23. Don't really get a chance to travel too often but I plan to go to Amsterdam. Wanted to go last year but needed a new passport and put off applying for a new one because I couldn't find my old one to include with my application. Planned on going with uni last year but going by myself may be easier in some ways. More freedom to do what I want.

Do you mind me asking how much your flights where, and how you plan on travelling once there? :smile:
Reply 25

I'm 21.

I'm definitely going to visit NY (where i'm flying to and from) and Philadelphia, but i'm undecided on where else at the moment. I'd like to visit Boston, DC, and possibly Toronto and Niagara Falls. I'll have to wait and see what my funds allow, i'm still saving almost every penny I get!
(edited 11 years ago)
Do you mind me asking how much your flights where, and how you plan on travelling once there? :smile:

I hadn't got that far, mate. The uni thing was just a package that cost like £125 or something like that, I think. Included coach, ferry, hostel and possibly other stuff I can't remember.

Not sure how I plan on travelling yet but I daresay it won't cost too much. I suppose I ought to put money aside. For this trip I only plan to visit Amsterdam but at some point I want to visit the rest of Europe. If you had that in mind I'd look into interrailing. My ex has interrailed through Europe and generally had a very positive experience.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 27
Might head across Canada (I'm in Montreal, so go west) then down then west coast of the US. Maybe :erm:
Reply 28
Original post by Cll_ws
I'm 21.

I'm definitely going to visit NY and Philadelphia, but i'm undecided on where else at the moment. I'd like to visit Boston, DC, and possibly Toronto and Niagara Falls. I'll have to wait and see what my funds allow, i'm still saving almost every penny I get!

Add in Montreal! :biggrin:

Also make sure you don't miss out on Boston, of all the cities I've visited while I've been on exchange in Montreal, it's my favourite. Toronto is OK, definitely do Niagara - go on the Maid of the Mist boat, it's the best bit.
Reply 29
Original post by ily_em
Add in Montreal! :biggrin:

Also make sure you don't miss out on Boston, of all the cities I've visited while I've been on exchange in Montreal, it's my favourite. Toronto is OK, definitely do Niagara - go on the Maid of the Mist boat, it's the best bit.

I could do Montreal actually, i'm guessing you recommend it? :tongue: I'll definitely look into it some more.

If I was to do both Montreal and Boston, as well as NY, Philadelphia, Niagara and Toronto, it actually makes for quite a good looking route (i'm flying to and from NY, so need to end up back there)

V3A0LWFl.jpg

What's the easiest way to travel between Montreal and Boston? I had a quick look and there doesn't appear to a train between the two.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 30
Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel
Yes I am travelling solo to Asia! Doing some flying first, to fuel my passion for aviation, and then settling down in the tropics.

Found a hotel called Tune Hotel - Downtown Kuala Lumpur which is just £12 per night, which means I can spend a month there for less than £400! :biggrin: The rooms have wifi, lcd tv aircon, bath amenities etc all built into this price (without these add-ons, the price is even cheaper).

However, on my own for that long, I would be better finding a hostel? Otherwise I may go mad, like living in prison?

Sounds interesting.

Are you training to be a pilot or do you mean commercial flying?
Reply 31
Original post by EllaBella<3
Hahahaha I love this! It's exactly how I feel :tongue:

Haha :') Where are you going?
Original post by Bethan.94
Haha :') Where are you going?

Flying out to Bangkok then doing a loop of SE Asia (Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia), back through Thailand and down to Singapore, hopping over to Indonesia hopefully for a couple of weeks before flying over to Cairns making my way down the East Coast to Sydney then a short stop over in Dubai before landing back in the UK :smile: I'm so excited!! :biggrin:
Going to Sydney in September then probably around SE Asia or wherever later that year. I'm taking an entire year out to travel alone, should be good.
Reply 34
Original post by EllaBella<3
Flying out to Bangkok then doing a loop of SE Asia (Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia), back through Thailand and down to Singapore, hopping over to Indonesia hopefully for a couple of weeks before flying over to Cairns making my way down the East Coast to Sydney then a short stop over in Dubai before landing back in the UK :smile: I'm so excited!! :biggrin:

Oh my gaawd that sounds amazing haha! Are you going by yourself?? I wanted to travel the world but i thought i'd start with Australia where they speak English so it's not too big a leap haha.
You're going to have an awesome time, so jealous
I'll be going to Rome during Springtime on my own most probably - my first solo trip abroad! I've been fascinated by the Romans my entire life so it's definitely a good place to start!

:biggrin:
Reply 36
Hey are any of you TSRians planning to travel alone this year? I'd love to know, I am, as I did last year!

So yeah, any of you guys planning to travel alone :P?

Yeah! I'm going to have a bit of a tour of Asia by myself. Although I am staying with people so I've got people to do stuff with and to show me around. I intend to shag 4 Korean girls within 2 weeks.
Reply 37
Original post by Flibble22
I'll be going to Rome during Springtime on my own most probably - my first solo trip abroad! I've been fascinated by the Romans my entire life so it's definitely a good place to start!

:biggrin:

That's interesting, though I'm surprised at 22 you haven't been abroad by yourself before. I'm 20 and I've been travelling to places by myself more times than I care to remember, from 15 years of age.
Reply 38
Hoping to inter-rail around Italy and then on to Eastern Europe.

Would love to go to America as well, especially the East Coast, as well as Canada. Very tempted to try sign up for Camp America (although it may be a bit late, I don't know).
Original post by Nunu Bot
That's interesting, though I'm surprised at 22 you haven't been abroad by yourself before. I'm 20 and I've been travelling to places by myself more times than I care to remember, from 15 years of age.

It's been down to a lack of money more than anything else. :frown: Now though, things have had a little turn-around woop.

Quick Reply

Latest