The Student Room Group

Chris Huhne pleads guilty and stepping down as a MP

Chris Huhne MP for Eastleigh has admitted to lying and will be standing down as a MP http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21320992
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I assume this will trigger a by-election? Be interesting to see how the Lib Dems do
Reply 2
Original post by Aj12
I assume this will trigger a by-election? Be interesting to see how the Lib Dems do

Looks like it and good question given it is a LD/Con Seat
Reply 3
Original post by Morgsie
Chris Huhne MP for Eastleigh has admitted to lying and will be standing down as a MP

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21320992

I have just reported you and this thread. There is still a trial going on for a co-defendant and sentencing has yet to take place for Chris Huhne, where aggravating and mitigating circumstances will be offered.
Reply 4
Original post by 122025278
I have just reported you and this thread. There is still a trial going on for a co-defendant and sentencing has yet to take place for Chris Huhne, where aggravating and mitigating circumstances will be offered.

There are no grounds because Chris Huhne has pleaded guilty and has is stepping down as a MP and I have changed the title
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Morgsie
There are no grounds because Chris Huhne has pleaded guilty and has is stepping down as a MP

He hasn't been sentenced yet. Anything you say here could influence the court.
Reply 6

I have changed the title to pleads guilty after you pointed this out. Either way he is stepping down as a MP triggering a by-election
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
One wonders why he has changed his plea now. Please do not think MPs are like as a rule.
(edited 11 years ago)

:rolleyes: Utter nonsense.
Reply 9

What complete garbage! What an idiot.

Huhne is going to be jailed for this. At least six months.
Original post by Tycho
What complete garbage! What an idiot.

Huhne is going to be jailed for this. At least six months.

I wouldn't be so sure he has substantial mitigating cirumstances.
I feel sorry for the guy. He was wrong to do what he did, but at the end of the day he has lost his career and is facing jail over a few speeding points.
I wouldn't be so sure he has substantial mitigating cirumstances.

Discussing the case on an internet forum in no way infringes on the case nor could it influence it so what you said is nonsense.
Isn't Chris Huhne one of the good guys? Shame.
Original post by jacketpotato
I feel sorry for the guy. He was wrong to do what he did, but at the end of the day he has lost his career and is facing jail over a few speeding points.

I agree. The irony is apparently he picked them up driving home late from the European Parliament.

Also I don't quite get what the point in prison would be either. Sending a multi-millionaire to an open prison for just a few weeks. Someone in that position might welcome the break from reality and see it as a bit of an adventure.
Reply 15
Original post by meenu89
Please do not think MPs are like as a rule.

Indeed most MPs would never at any cost own up to any wrong doing.
Reply 16

But why feel sorry for him? He's the one who decided to risk it all over a few speeding points.
Reply 17
I think Eastleigh will swing to the Conservatives as tory-but-would-be UKIP voters will stick following Camerons EU speech. Labour will come second. UKIP will be third and Lib Dems will be last.

<3 x

EDIT: Why the neg!? It's just my opinion! :fuhrer:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by rlw31
But why feel sorry for him? He's the one who decided to risk it all over a few speeding points.

It was definitely a very stupid thing to do, but to be honest I think we can all do stupid things sometimes especially when we are under stress. The incident happened 10 years ago.
Reply 19
It was definitely a very stupid thing to do, but to be honest I think we can all do stupid things sometimes especially when we are under stress. The incident happened 10 years ago.

It was a stupid thing to do of course, but I still don't see why you'd feel sorry for him because of that. He tried to cheat his way out of a relatively minor punishment and now he's getting his comeuppance, even if it is 10 years later.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending