The Student Room Group

OCR A2 Psychology G543:Options in Applied Psychology Exam Monday 10th June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by victoriagrace
Thanks, that's really kind of you to say :smile:

Yeah, if all goes well I'm taking it at the University of Exeter :biggrin:

You'll love Devon - I live down here, we always get the best of the weather when there is any good weather around and everyone is friendly! :biggrin:
Reply 181
I'm having problems with revision. If I remember the studies in one subsection and then a week later I learn another, I forget the studies I've learnt earlier. Longitudinal revision =.=

So I'm hoping that three days before the exam, I'll quickly cram it all in. So hopefully I'll remember all the studies. Anyone done this? Any tips on how to make the info stay in your head?
Original post by Cryl
I'm having problems with revision. If I remember the studies in one subsection and then a week later I learn another, I forget the studies I've learnt earlier. Longitudinal revision =.=

So I'm hoping that three days before the exam, I'll quickly cram it all in. So hopefully I'll remember all the studies. Anyone done this? Any tips on how to make the info stay in your head?

omg that so true. its hard for the info to stay in :/ writing it helps a little. so when you learn it write it down
Reply 183
Original post by Secretnerd123
omg that so true. its hard for the info to stay in :/ writing it helps a little. so when you learn it write it down

I've tried that! It only stays in for a short time! And I'll forget it a while later. I might try testing myself everyday - but I have other exams to focus on too! :/
Original post by Cryl
I've tried that! It only stays in for a short time! And I'll forget it a while later. I might try testing myself everyday - but I have other exams to focus on too! :/

ahh same have like 5 other exams ! if anyone knows a way please help us! :biggrin:
ahh same have like 5 other exams ! if anyone knows a way please help us! :biggrin:

Writing down helps me remmeber better as well, so i am in the exact same position as you guys. What I suggest is doing revision cards for all the studies - just a small piece of paper with the most important details about the study, such as their aim, number of participants, a resume of the method and findings. Then you could try to test yourselves every day, but not on all of the studies at once as this will take up a lot of time, just on a few of them randomly selected from your revision cards. You could divide the number of studies by the number of days left until the exam to find out how many you should test yourselves on every day. And if you feel you could do more than that each day, use the rest of the time to revise the ones you aren't very confident about. Good luck! :biggrin:
Original post by Invisiblehime
Writing down helps me remmeber better as well, so i am in the exact same position as you guys. What I suggest is doing revision cards for all the studies - just a small piece of paper with the most important details about the study, such as their aim, number of participants, a resume of the method and findings. Then you could try to test yourselves every day, but not on all of the studies at once as this will take up a lot of time, just on a few of them randomly selected from your revision cards. You could divide the number of studies by the number of days left until the exam to find out how many you should test yourselves on every day. And if you feel you could do more than that each day, use the rest of the time to revise the ones you aren't very confident about. Good luck! :biggrin:

thanks! but i want to start doing past papers but i cant as i dont know them all prooperly. im confident on forensic but not health :frown:
Reply 187
I made this summary Powerpoint back in Dec/Jan when I did G543 in January this year (which I got an A which really surprised me :biggrin:).
I thought it would be of some help to anyone who has this exam in June.

http://www.mediafire.com/?6ymc6wu1umc03wu

^^ The Powerpoint is unfinished as I left out a study or two and evaluation but feel free to go in and just edit anything on the slides if they don't make sense or if I've made any errors. There's also a PDF version of the Powerpoint too.
Good luck to everyone sitting this exam!
thanks! but i want to start doing past papers but i cant as i dont know them all prooperly. im confident on forensic but not health :frown:

Then start doing them with your notes by your side so you can refer to them if and when you need to. You could gradually reduce the notes you have to help you until you can write the answers by yourself :smile:

Am feeling the pressure tonight - I can't seem to remember anything cos I had a few day gap between revision and it's all gone out of my head!
Reply 189
Havent started been through serious depression and on serious medication, just about got up and need some advice, ive not attended lessons all year and have no idea but i ready to fight for what i deserve could someone please recommend something and help me out im desperate... is there any hope?

Thankyou so so much in advance xx
I am so stressed
Reply 191
Original post by nonabona
Havent started been through serious depression and on serious medication, just about got up and need some advice, ive not attended lessons all year and have no idea but i ready to fight for what i deserve could someone please recommend something and help me out im desperate... is there any hope?

So sorry for your condition :frown: Personally, I think it will be really hard to cram it all in now. So, if you're paying to attend the exam - then I wouldn't recommend it. If not, then try it anyway.

Why not try cramming and then do some past papers and use the mark scheme to see if you get most of the points or compare them to other model answers? If you can do well in the past papers, then you should be alright. :smile:
Reply 192
Guys, you know in Penrod and Cutler the sample consists of "experienced jurors"? Does that mean they've been on a real jury before?
I've been making a g543 revision blog so I can revise and try to help people at the same time. Is there anything you guys think it'd be helpful if I covered or that you think would be useful? :smile:

ocra2psychologyg543.blogspot.co.uk

Hey :smile:

I just had a look at your blog and its really helpful, thanks x

Hey! im really sorry about your condition and hope you get well soon xx I know someone who started this week so you shouldnt worry too much :tongue: I really think you should get the purple GROSS GUIDE psychology a2 book. it summarises most the studies and has evaluation points too and i think it will help you with the cramming. just do your best and see what happens. If you need any help on this exam ask me :smile: xox

p.s. there are a few studies in the book that your class may not be doing so just be wary. theres like 1 or 3
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 195
Just going through the past papers, I've noticed - they usually have a question from each topic. For example, in Forensic, they have a question about turning to crime, reaching a verdict, after a guilty verdict, and making a case!

Do they have to include a question from each topic? So technically, I can revise just 2 topics?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Cryl
Just going through the past papers, I've noticed - they usually have a question from each topic. For example, in Forensic, they have a question about turning to crime, reaching a verdict, after a guilty verdict, and making a case!

Do they have to include a question from each topic? So technically, I can revise just 2 topics?

no, they don't. They only have to test you on three, which means you can drop one from your first option (e.g. Forensic) and one from your other option. But if you only revise two, it could mean that you can only answer one question in the exam

For example, say you dropped turning to crime and after a guilty verdict, the exam could feature two on after a guilty verdict, one on turning to crime and one on making a case. So you could only answer one, meaning you can get no more than 50%.
Original post by Joshalos
You'll love Devon - I live down here, we always get the best of the weather when there is any good weather around and everyone is friendly! :biggrin:

Thanks, I hope so! Gloucestershire weather is awful!

I think it's great that you want to fight and get the grade you feel you can deserve. Basically my advice would be this: make a revision timetable on what you're going to revise and when - fit it around other subjects, and make sure you fit in breaks and sleep well because those both aid your memory.

Start with making notes on all the studies and theories from 2 of the options. From each of these options, choose your least favorite subsection from each option and don't revise it as you don't need them. (e.g. I dropped healthy living from health and clinical, and reaching a verdict from forensic).

Once you've got all of your notes, revise them in the way that works best for you. Powerpoint slides, flashcards, writing them out over and over, whatever works for you. Do this until you're fairly familiar with them.

Once you've got that far, start past papers. Do them first with help from the mark scheme and your notes, then with just your notes, and then try to do them by yourself. Make sure you check with the mark scheme afterwards and see what you're doing well or what you're missing out.

Just generally, try not to get stressed. What you're proposing to do is a huge thing, and it's really not going to be easy. If you feel it's too much, then stop because your health is more important than a grade. Also, please please please make sure you apply for special consideration. They take into account the tiny amount of time you've had to revise, and can calculate what you'd have got if you'd have had the same time as everybody else. I've done it before when I was really ill in an English exam, and loads of people do it. They won't just give you an A if you don't deserve it, but it means you're less penalised if you aren't 100% sure of the theories and studies.

Best of luck, what you're attempting is really commendable.
Plus, here's a link to my blog - it's got condensed notes for studies and theories, as well as revision tips. It's all tailored to G543. Hope it helps!
ocra2psychologyg543.blogspot.co.uk

Original post by lankan-gurl
Hey :smile:

I just had a look at your blog and its really helpful, thanks x

Thanks! :smile: Glad it's useful :smile:
Reply 198
no, they don't. They only have to test you on three, which means you can drop one from your first option (e.g. Forensic) and one from your other option. But if you only revise two, it could mean that you can only answer one question in the exam

For example, say you dropped turning to crime and after a guilty verdict, the exam could feature two on after a guilty verdict, one on turning to crime and one on making a case. So you could only answer one, meaning you can get no more than 50%.

Ah. Good. So I can drop one from each mega-topic (Health/Forensic). Cool, thanks!
Reply 199
But there are only three topics we've studied for health: Healthy Living, Stress and Dysfunctional Behaviour. (What's the fourth topic? o.O) So I have to study all of those :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending