What's your RPM at 70mph? Watch

Nice.Guy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I'm not actually sure how much this varies from car to car really, but I was driving on a dual carriageway yesterday, noticed my car does 3000rpm at 70mph. I've got a small car though, with a small engine, is 3000 high? Is it okay to drive at 3000rpm for long distances??
Maccees
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Sounds about right, unless you are bouncing off your limiter and your engine is screaming all the time you'll be fine.
Ghost
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Depends entirely on gear ratios. I think mine sits around 3k rpm too.
jamie3009
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
2.1k for me (Diesel engine though). To be honest, as long as the engine is warm and you have a good amount of oil in the engine then it will not do any damage whatsoever. Most engine wear occurs within the first 5-10 mins of startup when the engine is still heating up and parts are expanding etc. On most petrol engines the red line doesnt appear until about 6 - 6.5k rpm anyway so driving at 3k rpm is still only half way through the rev range of the engine.
David`
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I think mine sits at about 3.5k at 70. TBH that's nothing, I sometimes go from 30 - 70 in forth gear if I'm pulling onto a fast bit of motorway from a slip road and that'll be on about 4.5/5k rpm.
InconspicuousGuy
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Mine sits about 3k in 6th gear at 70mph on the motorway

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Camoxide
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I think it's probably around 4000 in mine.

I don't have a rev counter though ;(
wavecat
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
0 :smug:

On a bicycle going downhill (srsly i highly doubt I've ever gone over 50 downhill though)
Elwyn
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Will vary a lot between cars. My Twingo RS pushed 4000 RPM at 70mph but my current Clio diesel quietly cruises at just under 2000.
Noble.
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
About 3,000 in 5th gear, it's an annoying speed because the turbo doesn't do much until about 3,500 RPM so you either speed or drive around in 4th :lol:
lyle17120
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'd have a broken engine, my Cb125 only does 65 mph!!
SillyEddy
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
3k sounds about right. Given how many cars will rev to over twice that, it is unlikely that sticking at that RPM will cause extra wear to the engine.

Keep an eye on the temperature gauge if you're worried, but it sounds quite normal.
1992LP
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Mine sits at about 2750, and my other cars have sat just under 3k.
JC.
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
70mph = 2413rpm.
Or, 29mph per 1000rpm in O/D 4th.
CAElite
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You guys have rev counters in your cars? What sort of western decadance is this!?!?!?

Anywho i estimate around 3000-4000 RPM in my micra (no tachometer to confirm but i think its around there due to engine noise)
Nice.Guy
Rep:
?
(Original post by JC.)
70mph = 2413rpm.
I'm sure you're waiting for someone to ask this
how do you know your exact rpm? I would have said it was some sort of digital one, but you only drive classic cars!!
Nice.Guy
Rep:
?
Oh and thanks for the replies so far everyone
JC.
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Nice.Guy)
I'm sure you're waiting for someone to ask this
how do you know your exact rpm? I would have said it was some sort of digital one, but you only drive classic cars!!
Just basic maths mate. Anyone can work it out using the rolling radius of the tyre, diff ratio and gearbox top gear ratio.

Although, if you want to talk about *my* car specifically... @ 70mph the guage would probably waggle between 2300rpm and 2500rpm. Good old smiths guages, eh?
Anthony.BF
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It's crazy how people think their engines will explode if they go about 4K aha? really
MrWhosane
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Mines around 2200rpm at 70- gets around 66MPG when constant, in 5th gear Diesel all the way.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (146)
17.65%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (74)
8.95%
No I am happy with my course choice (487)
58.89%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (120)
14.51%

Watched Threads