The Student Room Group

Bad A-level results

A-level results are BBC for chemistry, maths, biology respectively.

Originally was planning to go for allied health, but have been rejected by 90% of my offers because I’m not competitive enough.

I’ve got an unconditional offer for a course overseas, but my dad has insisted that he’s not going to pay for it unless it’s med/law.

My friends have said I should try going for arts/humanities because they think I’d be happier.

What am I supposed to do now?
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by sweetpotatobun

Originally was planning to go for allied health, but have been rejected by 90% of my offers because I’m not competitive enough.

I’ve got an unconditional offer for a course overseas, but my dad has insisted that he’s not going to pay for it unless it’s med/law.

My friends have said I should try going for arts/humanities because they think I’d be happier.

Do you know what y want to do in the future ?
If u still want to do allied health or medicine dm me
They are not bad A-level results at all! What type of allied health courses were you looking into?

I'd listen to your friends but at the same time, you need to do what you enjoy. If you are looking at going to university for your career, then it so important you actually enjoy the area otherwise you will be at risk of burn out and lower grades due to not enjoying it.
Reply 3
Talk to your school - listen to their advice.
Would resits be possible?
Or do you need a gap year to think more calmly about things?

You could reapply next year for lower grade courses in the UK - including Foundation science/tech courses at sensible Unis . You have until Jan '24 to submit your new UCAS application which gives you time to work out what you want to do - and not make any panicky decisions.

Morning @sweetpotatobun :smile:

Congrats on the grades! I hope you're feeling proud of yourself. #BeResultsProud

Have you had a look at courses in the arts and humanities field and researched the career opportunities to see if any resonate with you? It's great to get your friends opinion, but ultimately it's your life and future career so have a think about whether you believe it will make you happier. If you are still uncertain you could consider a gap year, like others have suggested below, you can explore your options further, gain work experience, or even retake some exams, vocational courses or apprenticeships are also options - you have plenty. I'm sure you'll make the right decision for you, trust your gut and believe in yourself. Good luck with everything :smile:

Becky

Hi there, picking what you want to study at university is a really difficult decision especially if you are unsure about what you want to do in the future.

With your A levels, it looks like allied health would be a great avenue for you to follow if you choose it as you'll have a solid academic basis going forward into these degrees. If you're being pulled in a different direction then I would definitely suggest researching all of your possible avenues.

As you're researching your options I would have a look through different universities and courses with a list of what's most important to you. Look into the courses, see if they match your interests, figure out what GCSE's/A Levels you need for them. Ask additional questions like how far the university is from your home, whether you need accommodation in your first year, what the campus/city is like, does the university represent your interests and values. Think about your personal priorities and know that you still have the valid option of going to uni if you choose.

If you find something you like, then there's no harm in contacting universities directly and speaking to the admissions team. They'll be able to advise you on your options and it's always good to indicate which course you're interested in.

On the other hand, taking a year out and working or getting more experience might help you decide what you want to do in the future. Getting more experience will also help enhance your application, so this could be another option for you.

Researching your options will help you figure out what you want to do going forward, and I hope these couple of suggestions help.

Good luck with your search and best wishes,

Maddy
WrexhamUniReps

What was your motivation to pursue an allied health degree, and why do you feel your friends are recommending something entirely different?
(edited 8 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending