The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Just checked the NHS website, apparently it costs £15.50 for a general checkup, x-ray or polish. £42.40 for extractions, fillings and root canal treatment. Also, I've found out that Uni doesn't count as full time education, you can get help towards costs using the HC2 form, but they won't pay for all of it. Also, doctor's prescriptions for students cost £6.50 per medicine.
you'd think students would free nhs treatment wouldnt ya. Really wouldnt wait for an nhs extraction though, go private.
Reply 22
Happy Unicycling
:confused: I get 4000 loan and 500 towards fees, and I get the free NHS thing... Bizarre.

I'm guessing its the bursary that counts.

As said above, if the dentist deems the brace to be cosmetic then you will be very unlikely to get it free. Even if you would get it free there would be a huge waiting list for NHS stuff.

Saying that you may not have to have a brace, speak to your dentist, there are other treatments which may not make a perfect result but may improve the appearance a bit so its not so noticeable.

And to the person who said he'd like to punch a dentist, spare a thought for them as they try and releave your pain in a small, dark, wet hole with sharp teeth which bite and tongues which get in the way and bending over all day and all the other stresses, they are just doing their job! ---- (just slightly biased, am training to be a dentist!)
Reply 23
JayEm
I live close to the Dental Hospital in Manchester where you can walk in and get treatment. But you're likely to get treated by a student dentist supervised by a qualified one. I've been putting off getting my teeth extracted due to the exams next month, so I can wait for the time being.

I had a LOT of work done on my teeth by the students at the dental hospital - root canal treatments etc, all free - and haven't had any trouble with them since. :biggrin:
There's sometimes a big wait between appointments for the non emergency stuff though.

Latest

Trending

Trending