The Student Room Group
University of York
York

confusing york uni accomodation question

Anybody with spare time on their hands, or perhaps a current student at York University, read this accomodation application form for 2004 entry

http://www.york.ac.uk/admin/accom/ugrad/Newugaccomform2003.pdf

One of the questions on the form says 'Do you prefer to live in a quiet area?' What kind of a question is that?! I don't particular care, but I don't want to tick the 'no' box and have that jeopardise my first choice accomodation, and neither do I want to tick 'yes' because I don't know how my answer is going to affect where they put me. Which answer do you think is best to give if I want the cool accomodation (like Halifax college)

Yes, i know this is slightly in advance, but I'm eager...
Reply 1
Basically people in halls can play bloody loud music etc. so they want to know whether you want to live in a specific quiet area. This will mean you woont be able to play your music or tv loudly etc.
Generally its postgrads that want to live in quiet zones but it does have its advantages and disadvantages.
If you want to have a good time as an undergrad personally I'd tick no. The last thing you want is to get told off for being noisy when you come in drunk.
University of York
York
Reply 2
My my you really are advancing in your application aren't you, mr cleaner! hehehe..

I don't know what to put for that either, I'm rather neutral! I mean I'd rather get an ensuite room with someone next door playing music at full blast than a quiet lil dump somewhere....

I don't want it to affect where I'm put at all!!!!

I wanna go to Alcuin.
Reply 3
I can't actually remember what I put for that one. It says 'quiet area', so I would guess that to be not on campus? So it could be another point for Halifax, or maybe the Langwith/Derwent extension.
I really don't know.

Are you sure you want Halifax? It's quarter of an hour away from the rest of campus!
Reply 4
Adhsur
My my you really are advancing in your application aren't you, mr cleaner! hehehe..

I don't know what to put for that either, I'm rather neutral! I mean I'd rather get an ensuite room with someone next door playing music at full blast than a quiet lil dump somewhere....

I don't want it to affect where I'm put at all!!!!

I wanna go to Alcuin.

haha! don't mock the name....It was a made up name because I didn't want to put my real named down. A slight floor in that plan though is that its in my email address! Oh well...

I'm thinking of phoning up admissions whenever I get the application form to see what its all about.
Reply 5
++Hex++
I can't actually remember what I put for that one. It says 'quiet area', so I would guess that to be not on campus? So it could be another point for Halifax, or maybe the Langwith/Derwent extension.
I really don't know.

Are you sure you want Halifax? It's quarter of an hour away from the rest of campus!

Yeah, on the Vist Day I went to the only accomodation I actually went in was Halifax and it looked quite good.

So you go the York then? Do you happen to know how much those 'Language for All' courses cost? It says in the prospectus 'a small fee' but I'm sure they have very different opinions on what is 'small' and what is not!
Reply 6
I was wondering about this, and what about the smoking thing too?
Reply 7
johncleaner
Yeah, on the Vist Day I went to the only accomodation I actually went in was Halifax and it looked quite good.

So you go the York then? Do you happen to know how much those 'Language for All' courses cost? It says in the prospectus 'a small fee' but I'm sure they have very different opinions on what is 'small' and what is not!

Umm. I think it's about £50 for a year's course. You get a 2hr lesson a week (not sure about the first/last weeks of term, actually) and homework.

Latest

Trending

Trending