The Student Room Group

I'm 34, never studied or worked but now decided my career path, is it possible?

I left school 19 years ago with NO G.C.S.E.

I also have never worked a day in my life due to personal issues and anxiety/stress.

Now at the age of 34 I feel ready for the world of work, I have decided on a career I'd love to pursue and that career is social social work, I want to become a social worker.

I have no G.C.S.E., no work experience in any area,sector/s, but I have never been in trouble with the law, have no criminal convictions so that works in my favor.

Having said that, am I able to study at college, say through an access course or something, then go onto Uni and begin a degree in health & Social care?
There is no age limit to learning something new, pursue in what you want.
Reply 2
Original post by shaycollins
There is no age limit to learning something new, pursue in what you want.

Fantastic, does this apply though for somebody who has never work or studied at 34?
There are always Night Classes that you can take to earn your GCSE's and work your way up to A-Levels. There are also plenty of mature students at Universities if you choose to aspire to that kind of qualification.
Original post by Hayley Smiths
Fantastic, does this apply though for somebody who has never work or studied at 34?

I'd say your best bet is to call your local college and ask them. You may have to spend some time learning from the start, doing work for GCSEs, then perhaps an Access to HE course, but as the previous poster said, it's never too late to pursue anything.
Look at courses at your local college that you want to do and see what their entry requirements are - then you will know what to aim for, and they will be able to give you advice on how to get the GCSEs or what you need to get on the course and what courses will be suitable for getting you into uni if that is your goal.

In the mean time try and speak to a careers advisor - this may be able to be arranged through job centre (not sure though) and they may be able to help you draw up a plan.

Also look up volunteering opportunities - websites like www.do-it.org.uk are really useful for this. And also things like www.csv.org.uk might be useful/ relevant - anything that demonstrates your interest and commitment in your sector and will give you more experience will be really useful in the long run particularly for when you write personal statements for uni courses etc
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6

I also have never worked a day in my life due to personal issues and anxiety/stress.

Now at the age of 34 I feel ready for the world of work, I have decided on a career I'd love to pursue and that career is social social work, I want to become a social worker.

I have no G.C.S.E., no work experience in any area,sector/s, but I have never been in trouble with the law, have no criminal convictions so that works in my favor.

Having said that, am I able to study at college, say through an access course or something, then go onto Uni and begin a degree in health & Social care?

So you never worked a day in your life due to anxiety/stress and now you want to be a social worker. You will almost certainly find that such an existence will play against you on the basis that if someone has had anxiety issues for that length of time, how fit are they to deal with other peoples issues? I am a total bell end but im not the only one so you will have to prepare for this sort of judgement. I would suggest some sort of training, maybe even some voluntary work to gain experience, even if you dont end up in your chosen career. Most people dont. Seek advice from a local college or something.
Original post by Laomedeia
So you never worked a day in your life due to anxiety/stress and now you want to be a social worker. You will almost certainly find that such an existence will play against you on the basis that if someone has had anxiety issues for that length of time, how fit are they to deal with other peoples issues? I am a total bell end but im not the only one so you will have to prepare for this sort of judgement. I would suggest some sort of training, maybe even some voluntary work to gain experience, even if you dont end up in your chosen career. Most people dont. Seek advice from a local college or something.

Whilst I do see your point, stress/anxiety is a condition that can be effectively managed and people can fully recover so shouldn't deter people from aspiring to take on a challenging career. I would also suggest that if someone has had issues of their own then they will be better equipped to empathise with others in a similar situation.
Reply 8
Original post by Madam, I'm Adam
Whilst I do see your point, stress/anxiety is a condition that can be effectively managed and people can fully recover so shouldn't deter people from aspiring to take on a challenging career. I would also suggest that if someone has had issues of their own then they will be better equipped to empathise with others in a similar situation.

Good point:wink:
Reply 9
Access to HE Diploma in Social Work would probably be your best bet. It's a 1 year course which is equivalent to A levels designed specifically to get in to higher education i.e. uni. Should be able to study it at your local college for free if you are on benefits.
(edited 11 years ago)

Some uni will admit you if you got a Access to HE course in the relevant subject you want to study at uni.

As you've never been at work, you will need to show that you have the discipline to complete uni. Doing some voluntary work will help you prove this and get work experience to apply to be a social worker.
Please check thread dates before posting. Thanks.

Latest

Trending

Trending