The Student Room Group

Looking at GCSEs

So, how much do you universities look at GCSEs? I have heard that Oxbridge definitely do but I was wondering about other unis like Exeter, Leeds etc. I got 1 A* 4 As and 4 Bs but now I just got 2 As at AS and am predicted 4 As at AS, will my GCSEs hinder my application to places like Exeter?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Original post by SixteenSaltines
So, how much do you universities look at GCSEs? I have heard that Oxbridge definitely do but I was wondering about other unis like Exeter, Leeds etc. I got 1 A* 4 As and 4 Bs but now I just got 2 As at AS and am predicted 4 As at AS, will my GCSEs hinder my application to places like Exeter?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got 3As and 9Bs at AS, got 4Bs at AS and I got an offer from Exeter :smile:

I'm a third year as well soo, it shouldn't make a difference :smile:
Reply 2
I got 1 A at Gcse... offer from exeter... chill
What are you studying? I was looking to do history and I know it is really competitive to get a place. Also can you say what your offer was for?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4

Posted from TSR Mobile

The general "vibe" is that Cambridge hone in on your AS UMS, so if those two As were high UMS, try and get your other subjects to a high UMS, with a 95+ Average and you'll be in with a chance.

Oxford look more on how many A*s at GCSE you have, plus their admissions test.

I'm sure you'll be able to get in lots of great universities with your GCSE's and your AS grades if your predictions come true :biggrin:
Original post by ErHi?
The general "vibe" is that Cambridge hone in on your AS UMS, so if those two As were high UMS, try and get your other subjects to a high UMS, with a 95+ Average and you'll be in with a chance.

Oxford look more on how many A*s at GCSE you have, plus their admissions test.

I'm sure you'll be able to get in lots of great universities with your GCSE's and your AS grades if your predictions come true :biggrin:

ah right, calming words. My school has said that if you get less than 7 A*s you shouldn't bother applying to Cambridge but then again, I go to a grammar school and the teachers are nazis when it come to ucas

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
What are you studying? I was looking to do history and I know it is really competitive to get a place. Also can you say what your offer was for?

Posted from TSR Mobile

AAB biological sciences

word of note- their applications increased by about 25% this year according to their website
Reply 7
ah right, calming words. My school has said that if you get less than 7 A*s you shouldn't bother applying to Cambridge but then again, I go to a grammar school and the teachers are nazis when it come to ucas

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's utter nonsense. There are people who have gained a place at Oxbridge with 4 A*'s at GCSE, whom I have seen on here.

I too want to study History, and what I can recommend is that try and get your AS History to a very good high UMS, 90/95+ so your teacher can put it in their reference.

You shouldn't worry about your GCSE's now, they're done, out of the way, just focus on your AS Levels!

Also, try and get an A* prediction because lots of good universities are now putting A*AA as their minimum requirement.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending