The Student Room Group

very pissed off!!

I am in my final year at uni, 44 years of age and very unhappy with my uni. The staff are completely unsympathetic to my situation, kids, elderly parents, travelling long way to uni. I recently asked for some guidance from a tutor with an assignment and was told that 'I should know how to do assignments by now etc etc'. I was very upset, angry even as I am very isolated from the rest of the 20 year old students who all have each other for support. I don't want to give up and have decided to just let it slide with this tutor as I don't want to antagonise him and get a bad mark! I now feel that I can't ask for any advise (in case they think i'm stupid) and my confidence has taken a knock. I just don't think that uni is a good place for much older students, has anyone else had similiar experiences?

Scroll to see replies

You won't lose marks for asking, but you will if you don't do the essay correctly. The tutor can't mark you down for asking for help. If you need help then go ask him again or see a different tutor.

EDIT:

P.S what is it you're having trouble with? Someone here may be able to help
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by lula69
I am in my final year at uni, 44 years of age and very unhappy with my uni. The staff are completely unsympathetic to my situation, kids, elderly parents, travelling long way to uni. I recently asked for some guidance from a tutor with an assignment and was told that 'I should know how to do assignments by now etc etc'. I was very upset, angry even as I am very isolated from the rest of the 20 year old students who all have each other for support. I don't want to give up and have decided to just let it slide with this tutor as I don't want to antagonise him and get a bad mark! I now feel that I can't ask for any advise (in case they think i'm stupid) and my confidence has taken a knock. I just don't think that uni is a good place for much older students, has anyone else had similiar experiences?

What do you study at university?
Reply 3
ids, elderly parents, travelling long way to uni. I recently asked for some guidance from a tutor with an assignment and was told that 'I should know how to do assignments by now etc etc'. I was very upset, angry even as I am very isolated from the rest of the 20 year old students who all have each other for support. I don't want to give up and have decided to just let it slide with this tutor as I don't want to antagonise him and get a bad mark! I now feel that I can't ask for any advise (in case they think i'm stupid) and my confidence has taken a knock. I just don't think that uni is a good place for much older students, has anyone else had similiar experiences?
Reply 4
You may be on your last year left of your course but make the most out of it age may be an issue regarding integrating with your fellow younger students but that shouldn't stop you from giving your best shot. Guidance and assistance will also be available at the university speak to the students, tutors, or even friends they will definitely be willing to help you as long as you ask them. Get to know some other mature students at your university if you're feeling isolated, as the person above said there's help out there for anybody.

Goodluck.
Reply 5
Hi,

Animal Conservation Science
Reply 6
I'm only there 1 day a week and live 50 miles from where I study. Don't get me wrong the other students are generally nice but I cannot relate to them nor they to me, it's too big an age gap. They all have each other for support and have been together since the beginning. I took a year out so I've only just met them really.
What're you having trouble with?
Reply 8
Also, it isn't an essay, it's 3 report style case studies. I asked for advice on how to set it out.
Reply 9
Also, my dissertation is doing my head in, don't have enough time, have done my references wrong! I have done them in refworks in Harvard British Standard but apparently they should be done as specific to my university which is much more difficult, so got to do them all again!!
We are going through the same thing at our University, although sometimes some lecturers are better than others at offering help. We put a complaint in, in the end.

I do wonder sometimes why they bother going into the profession, when some of the lecturers are so unhelpful.
Reply 11
Yes, I'm waiting to finish before I complain. Glad I'm not the only one going through it. They try to treat you like a kid and expect you to know what the younger ones know, who are way ahead in terms of the technology!!
What citation style does your uni use?
Reply 13
cite it right
Reply 14
It's harvard, but not like any other harvard system, sooooo confusing!!
That's peculiar. How do you write out your references? When I was at uni, we used Harvard Referencing System and it was:

In Essay: (NAME, YEAR)
Bibliography: NAME. (YEAR) BOOK TITLE, PLACE OF PUBLICATION: PUBLISHER
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 16
yes that's the easy version.......we have to put the page numbers, doi number etc, all my references are online journals.
Page number's go like this (NAME, YEAR:PAGENUMBER)

As for online journals:

NAME. YEAR. ARTICLE TITLE. JOURNAL TITLE [Online]. Available at: LINK TO ARTICLE [Accessed: DD MONTH YYYY].
Reply 18
Try and get more support from mature students society and so on, find some Phds who are helpful and ask them for help.

Stay with it
Reply 19
It is easy to think that the young ones know what they are doing, some may but others are just better at covering up their lack of knowledge. Are there no student services available to assist with matters such as citing things correctly. It is also likely that the lecturer who fobbed you off has difficulty explaining why the referencing is done in a particular way and simply follows the departmental style. Which to them is obvious, but not explainable.

Given the other things going on in your life, it would be worth putting in for mitigating circumstances, they may give you some additional time to submit your dissertation. This would enable you to fix your references. Don't suffer in silence, it is easier to help students before a submission deadline than after it. If the individual lecturer is unhelpful, go to your course tutor.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending