The Student Room Group

Master's in Modern/Contemporary Lit -- Decisions, Decisions

I'm having a difficult time narrowing down my options for postgraduate study. So far I have offers from
UCL - MA: Issues in Modern Culture
St Andrews - MLitt: Modern and Contemporary Literature and Culture
Edinburgh - MSc: Literature and Modernity
Durham - MA: Modern Literary Studies

Though I am still waiting for a response from the big Ox, I'd like to have a solid plan in place when that rejection letter inevitably comes my way. Cost of living, program reputation, location, faculty, value etc. all factor into the final decision. I'm an Australian finishing up a BA in California and am not too familiar with UK higher education system.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Ataelier
I'm having a difficult time narrowing down my options for postgraduate study. So far I have offers from
UCL - MA: Issues in Modern Culture
St Andrews - MLitt: Modern and Contemporary Literature and Culture
Edinburgh - MSc: Literature and Modernity
Durham - MA: Modern Literary Studies

Though I am still waiting for a response from the big Ox, I'd like to have a solid plan in place when that rejection letter inevitably comes my way. Cost of living, program reputation, location, faculty, value etc. all factor into the final decision. I'm an Australian finishing up a BA in California and am not too familiar with UK higher education system.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Congrats on the offers!

Do you lean more towards Modernism or the contemporary? My sense of these uni's is that Durham and St Andrews are marginally stronger in contemporary lit (although, to be honest, neither is among the very strongest places for contemporary lit which tend to be in less traditional departments and uni's), whereas UCL and Edinburgh are a bit more focused on Modernism. As a contemporary scholar, I'd go for St Andrews, as a Modernist....hmmmn, maybe Edinburgh. UCL has the strongest international reputation of the four, by a long way, which is important if you plan to go back to Oz/the US. Reputation-wise within the UK, they're all about on par with each other and have highly regarded English departments...I don't think you're going to go wrong with any of these as an option.

The location issue depends on your personal preferences...I know I would choose UCL location-wise because you genuinely cannot beat the wealth of culture and resources that London has to offer; that said, it is expensive, and more isolating. Edinburgh's a fantastic city, too and might be easier to grapple with size-wise. I've never visited Durham so have no clue what's it's like apart from a reputation for being beautiful. St Andrews is gorgeous, small-town feel, a bit closer to nature.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by madamemerle
UCL has the strongest international reputation of the four, by a long way, which is important if you plan to go back to Oz/the US.

This element is important to me as I hope to go on to PhD study in Australia or back in the US... How much do you think I should invest in global reputation? I have heard that Oxford's modern/contemporary program is not that impressive (mostly from the sentiments of past students on these forums), yet I would drop everything if I received an offer from them. Is this the wrong way to go about things?

You are correct about the location, as London is such a large and vibrant city. UCL's central location would be brilliant, but the more rural/remote St Andrews also appeals to me. Coming from a small liberal arts school I wonder if UCL would be overwhelming.
Original post by Ataelier
This element is important to me as I hope to go on to PhD study in Australia or back in the US... How much do you think I should invest in global reputation? I have heard that Oxford's modern/contemporary program is not that impressive (mostly from the sentiments of past students on these forums), yet I would drop everything if I received an offer from them. Is this the wrong way to go about things?

You are correct about the location, as London is such a large and vibrant city. UCL's central location would be brilliant, but the more rural/remote St Andrews also appeals to me. Coming from a small liberal arts school I wonder if UCL would be overwhelming.

In the US, St Andrews also has a very strong reputation, Edinburgh a bit less so and Durham is unheard of.

Yeah, about Oxford...unless you do Modernist poetry, it really isn't a good place to be a twentieth century scholar. I understand the appeal, and it is an amazing place to be a student (I did my undergrad there) but there are very few twentieth century faculty. If your interests trend towards mid century or later, and/or away from British, then I wouldn't even consider it as a serious option. As someone looking to do a PhD, you should probably be thinking more about which department will prepare you best for that, so the relationships you'll make with faculty are very important for references and also for mentorship and advice. If you weren't interested in academia then Oxford would be fine and would look nice on your CV and all that, but since you are....I'd be inclined to choose one of your other options, if I were you. Probably St Andrews or UCL.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by madamemerle
If you weren't interested in academia then Oxford would be fine and would look nice on your CV and all that, but since you are....I'd be inclined to choose one of your other options, if I were you. Probably St Andrews or UCL.

I sincerely appreciate your advice, as it is difficult for me to gauge the impact of a decision based on my current options. Your insight is a rare source, and I feel a bit overwhelmed!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending