The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

What is Bsc Management like?

Hi there

I wanted to know everything and anything about bsc management and WBS.....from career options to fun in the course all comments are welcome.....

Thanks!
Reply 1
Hi, not exactly management but Accounting Finance 2 year here.
I think wbs has a very good program. In the first year, we do a group Business Plan project (as a core module) which i really enjoyed though it was demanding as well. Management is more flexible than Accounting and Finance so i think you will enjoy being able to choose a course you like (usually from second year). WBS and the university has a very strong Finance Society which holds many career, talks and skills workshop events. Also have to mention the great night-outs organized by them.
One of the best thing i like about wbs is the network of friends you can make. There are many people who come with cool backgrounds that made me feel lucky being accepted to wbs.
From second year, the course becomes very flexible, many of my friends are going to study abroad for a year (which isnt in the original program) and this is easily arranged with the department.
Management is less mathematical than accounting and finance (but probably more interesting lol)
You will have great career prospects as the university and societies provide great support. The most recent development is a student mentoring scheme where eg you will be assigned a mentor (usually a second or third year) who will help you with mainly career stuff like cv etc.
gotta sleep good night
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 2
Original post by MattyHendo
Hi, not exactly management but Accounting Finance 2 year here.
I think wbs has a very good program. In the first year, we do a group Business Plan project (as a core module) which i really enjoyed though it was demanding as well. Management is more flexible than Accounting and Finance so i think you will enjoy being able to choose a course you like (usually from second year). WBS and the university has a very strong Finance Society which holds many career, talks and skills workshop events. Also have to mention the great night-outs organized by them.
One of the best thing i like about wbs is the network of friends you can make. There are many people who come with cool backgrounds that made me feel lucky being accepted to wbs.
From second year, the course becomes very flexible, many of my friends are going to study abroad for a year (which isnt in the original program) and this is easily arranged with the department.
Management is less mathematical than accounting and finance (but probably more interesting lol)
You will have great career prospects as the university and societies provide great support. The most recent development is a student mentoring scheme where eg you will be assigned a mentor (usually a second or third year) who will help you with mainly career stuff like cv etc.
gotta sleep good night

Thank you for your reply. Adding on to what you said I have a few questions if you could be so kind to answer for me:

1 - I've heard that Warwick is one of the most boring places to study at, have you found this to be true, I like clubbing and having fun so I don't know how I'll feel about Warwick.

2 - You talked about Bsc Management being less mathematical then Bsc Accounting and Finance, I am interested in investment banking and was worried that doing management over accounting and finance would damage my chances of getting into investment banking, from your experiences do much more people get into IB from A&F compared to management, would you recommend switching? also I don't have a maths a-level, therefore would I struggle on A&F?
Reply 3
Answer to 1:
I certainly don't find studying at Warwick boring :smile:. It's probably how you spend your time which determines that, but all of my friends are having fun! There are loads of societies in Warwick to keep you busy, especially in the first year where you tend to join too many. The main social groups you become very close with is either course mates, societies, and people in you accommodation. Wbs people tend to be very sociable so you will definitely make great friends. Societies (especially sports) do circling events which is basically drinking games -> clubbing which is amazingly fun. Cultural societies sold their own club nights which is fun too. And accommodation friends you tend to spend the longest with (I live with them now :biggrin:) and make the best friends. So studying here is not boring at all, I love it. One thing is that you may forget how long you've spent on campus and realize you haven't gone to other cities.

Answer to 2:
Most people aim to get into IB. But my advice is that the course does not matter at all! And not taking A-level Maths may make some modules harder, but not at all affect your application to IB interns/jobs. One thing that I have noticed is Banks accept candidates from any course discipline, and sure thats true; one of my History friend (not so Mathsey) has got an BoA IBD Intern. You will need a certain level of aptitude, which will be tested in numerical tests during application. The core Management modules do not require much maths, but you will take optional modules where some demand maths (and you can take any A&F) modules as optional :smile:. One of my friends switched courses from Management to A&F in second year so no worries if you don't like it. IBD jobs are competitive, but many wbs students get it so no worries.

Quick Reply

Latest