The Student Room Group

A-Levels for Medecine ??? Are they ok?

Hi, I am hoping to pursue a career in medicine! I recently picked my A-Levels which are: Biology , Chemistry , Physics and Religious Studies . Are these appropriate? And what do you think of them hard/easy ...
Thanks , Answers really appreciated:smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by emmalav
Hi, I am hoping to pursue a career in medicine! I recently picked my A-Levels which are: Biology , Chemistry , Physics and Religious Studies . Are these appropriate? And what do you think of them hard/easy ...

I would love to hear what A-Levels some Medics have picked?
Original post by emmalav

I know somebody doing Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Latin wanting to do Medicine

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by emmalav

Those are fine. :smile: I did chemistry biology maths and history

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 4
Great!
I am doing bio chem economics maths!
just take rs to a2 not physics, as med skwl prefer a non science based as 3rd a2
Reply 5
I applied for medicine this year and got interviews but am still waiting to hear back from the Universities. For A-Levels i did / are doing Biology, Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and English. For most of the Unis they just wanted Maths and Chemistry and/or Biology. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
I applied to medicine this year and I'm taking Biology Chemistry and Sociology. I took maths last year but dropped it. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by emmalav

Those are fine! Also I would recommend not dropping Biology after AS, as while some unis don't mind, it does limit where you can apply.
Yeah, they're fine, just make sure you get at least AAA.
Reply 9
Original post by glfharris
Those are fine! Also I would recommend not dropping Biology after AS, as while some unis don't mind, it does limit where you can apply.

Totally agree with this, I dropped biology and it hit me in applications (but I've done loads better after dropping it - my days were blighted by biology lessons).
I did chemistry, physics, maths and biology. Some unis want chemistry and another science/maths, and some want chemistry and biology, so it's okay dropping either physics or RS after the first year. :smile:
Reply 10
Which unis have you applied and what are your offers?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
No Maths? :afraid:

But seriously, your subjects are absolutely fine for Medicine. It doesn't matter which out of Physics or RS you take up to A2 unless applying for Cambridge.

Original post by Future-doc

just take rs to a2 not physics, as med skwl prefer a non science based as 3rd a2

That's not true in the least, except for UCL (and even then it's fine as an AS).
Original post by emmalav

One of the links in this post has the definitive answer to your first question. Chemistry is required by most med schools, and Biology is required by some and welcomed by many.
Reply 13
They're fine.

Though maths will definitely come in handy...
Reply 14
Original post by Amee2
I applied for medicine this year and got interviews but am still waiting to hear back from the Universities. For A-Levels i did / are doing Biology, Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and English. For most of the Unis they just wanted Maths and Chemistry and/or Biology. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

You don't need maths for medicine.
I have an offer for Barts and I'm currently studying Biology Chemistry & Maths to A2. I dropped Physics after AS and I also did an AS in general studies - but medical schools don't consider general studies. Those A levels look fine to me.
Most offers are AAA at the moment (except Oxbridge & Birmingham). But it could go up by the time you apply - just something to be aware of.
Reply 17
You can see what subjects lots of past applicants have done here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=865511
Reply 18
Original post by hslakaal
They're fine.

Though maths will definitely come in handy...

No, it won't.
Reply 19
They look good :smile: I have an offer for medicine and I took Bio, Chem and Maths (and French at AS)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending