The Student Room Group
Students on campus Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham
Visit website

Is NTU a multi cultural uni?

Not sure whether I should pick dmu over ntu.

Help please

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Original post by Shakira.A
Not sure whether I should pick dmu over ntu.

Help please

Posted from TSR Mobile

NTU is a multi cultural uni, but DMU is definitely known as a more multi cultural uni, especially black. So if your looking for a university you can relate to people more culturally and have fun, i would go to DMU but i doubt you'll be able to concentrate, but that all depends on you as an individual at the end of the day. With NTU you can culturally relate to people as well but i dont think you'll have such a large variety of cultures such as DMU and therefore i think you'll be able to concentrate there better. Have you tried checking which one is best for your course?
(edited 11 years ago)
Students on campus Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
Thanks for the response, I prefer the course at DMU but I don't like the campus very much tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Thanks for the response, I prefer the course at DMU but I don't like the campus very much tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile
Your welcome. Oh is your course not on the main campus ?
Reply 4
It is on the main campus but to me it just doesn't look like a modern university if you know what i mean. Are you currently at DMU?
Reply 5
It is on the main campus but to me it just doesn't look like a modern university if you know what i mean. Are you currently at DMU?

yeah I get you. No I'll hopefully be going NTU September but I've got friends at both unis
Reply 6
I might be going there too, have you booked your accomodation yet?
Reply 7
Oh okay. What you studying? Yeah , I've gone private as its so much cheaper than the university based campuses.
Reply 8
Good choice, I don't like any of the university accomodation and some are just over priced, i'll be studying Business management with accounting and finance, you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Good choice, I don't like any of the university accomodation and some are just over priced, i'll be studying Business management with accounting and finance, you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Have you already looked at or booked any private accommodation in Nottingham or your still not too sure about going DMU or NTU ? Ohh your doing business as well :smile: I'm doing International Business
Reply 10
I haven't booked any accommodation yet, as I keep changing my mind about which uni to firm lol they're both pretty much on the same level thats why it's so hard to choose. I was gonna pick international business too but it seems like a lot of reading

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's a bit hard to tell. Unlike UoN, NTU doesn't seem to make public its student breakdowns, or if they do, they're not too easy to find.

It depends somewhat what subject you plan on studying. NTU do publish a report which comments on ethnicity (this year shows them a few percentage points above the sector average for percentage of students identifying as BME), which can be downloaded from http://www.ntu.ac.uk/equality_diversity/document_uploads/117416.pdf. Some departments will have more BME students than others, but they don't provide a specific breakdown by ethnicity, fee status, or department.

DMU's data is ridiculous to comprehend. It's neither comprehensive or clear, but if you want to read their 2010/11 report, it's at http://www.dmu.ac.uk/documents/about-dmu-documents/equality-and-diversity/equality-information-january-2012/sps3290studentdiversityreport2010-11v5forinternet.pdf.

I guess what I'm getting at is that I wouldn't pay too much attention to it. The two universities will be very similar in terms of diversity, particular if we're talking about culture, ethnicity, and home country. Both will have a very diverse student body and there will be plenty of opportunities to experience other cultures, get involved in a variety of activities, and developing an international perspective to what you learn.

Both cities are fairly diverse also.

One thing to note is that NTU students can apply to be Associate Members of University of Nottingham Students' Union if you wanted to join one of our many cultural societies: http://www.su.nottingham.ac.uk/activities/societies/religiousandcultural/ :biggrin:
I don't know about Trent but DMU certainly is. Some friends are at DMU and they tell me that it's pretty multicultural. The student population in the city of Leicester is generally pretty diverse.
Reply 13
Original post by DarkWhite
It's a bit hard to tell. Unlike UoN, NTU doesn't seem to make public its student breakdowns, or if they do, they're not too easy to find.

It depends somewhat what subject you plan on studying. NTU do publish a report which comments on ethnicity (this year shows them a few percentage points above the sector average for percentage of students identifying as BME), which can be downloaded from http://www.ntu.ac.uk/equality_diversity/document_uploads/117416.pdf. Some departments will have more BME students than others, but they don't provide a specific breakdown by ethnicity, fee status, or department.

DMU's data is ridiculous to comprehend. It's neither comprehensive or clear, but if you want to read their 2010/11 report, it's at http://www.dmu.ac.uk/documents/about-dmu-documents/equality-and-diversity/equality-information-january-2012/sps3290studentdiversityreport2010-11v5forinternet.pdf.

I guess what I'm getting at is that I wouldn't pay too much attention to it. The two universities will be very similar in terms of diversity, particular if we're talking about culture, ethnicity, and home country. Both will have a very diverse student body and there will be plenty of opportunities to experience other cultures, get involved in a variety of activities, and developing an international perspective to what you learn.

Both cities are fairly diverse also.

One thing to note is that NTU students can apply to be Associate Members of University of Nottingham Students' Union if you wanted to join one of our many cultural societies: http://www.su.nottingham.ac.uk/activities/societies/religiousandcultural/ :biggrin:

Hi,

sorry to quote you here but i can't seem to PM you or leave a visitor message for some reason on your profile. I've noticed you're a helpful posters for UoN students. i have a couple of questions, if you're able to drop me a PM so i can reply that would be really nice but dont worry if you're busy.

Reply 14
I haven't booked any accommodation yet, as I keep changing my mind about which uni to firm lol they're both pretty much on the same level thats why it's so hard to choose. I was gonna pick international business too but it seems like a lot of reading

Posted from TSR Mobile
Awww bless you! That's true you know. But i hope you make your mind up soon and hopefully join me in NTU :colondollar: Naa just joking, just go for the one you'll think you'll enjoy at, be happy, make lots of friends and is just best for your course, I do know NTU is better for business courses than DMU but its all up to you really. And you've got till the 8th of may to decide, don't you? So you've got plenty of time to research a little more. Don't rush into any decisions. (Though you do need to be a lil quick with accommodation as its going fast in Nottingham, I don't know about Leicester) But yeah don't rush into anything. cos we're talking about 3/4 years of your lifetime at this city/uni. You can change uni's obviously when you get to the place and you don't like it but that's gonna be so long with student finance and accommodation and that. Ohh noo is it -__-
(edited 11 years ago)
I'm at NTU now. I'd say it is definitely a multicultural uni. We have students from all over the world and of all different ethnicities and religions. I'd say Nottingham is a diverse city :smile:
Reply 16
Thanks everyone, I've decided to firm De Montfort and put Nottingham trent as my insurance. This is mainly because I prefer the course at DMU. No doubt nottingham is the better city but who knows I may end up there. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending