Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Well, basically what the titel says. Is it common for students to have their own TV?

ReputationRep:
    I don't think so; you'd have to pay a television license fee which is just more unnecessary, difficult expense for students. If you plan to watch television, just do it through your computer. I think you still have to pay a fee for that, too, but most university accommodation covers it.

I could be wrong, though.

ReputationRep:
    I personally will take one, as it is illegal to watch it through your laptop without a licence anyway. I have seen lots of others do it, but equally some chip together and have one in a shared area like a living room, and one person still has to have the licence in their name but everybody chips in at the end of the day though, it's completely your and your flat mates choice!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    No, its not all that common really, in my experience at least. I just watched iplay/ 4od etc. Why pay over £100 to watch tv?? In a student house, most people have a communal tv in the living room and split the bill.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flax)
    Well, basically what the titel says. Is it common for students to have their own TV?
    I did for a year, but it didn't get used much. Wasn't worth the £140 for a TV license.

(Original post by hannahlsmith)
    I personally will take one, as it is illegal to watch it through your laptop without a licence anyway.
    If you watch it through your laptop while it's running off the battery rather than the power cable, it counts as a "mobile device" so would be covered by your home TV licence. And you don't need a licence for catch up services like iPlayer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Potally_Tissed)
    I did for a year, but it didn't get used much. Wasn't worth the £140 for a TV license.

If you watch it through your laptop while it's running off the battery rather than the power cable, it counts as a "mobile device" so would be covered by your home TV licence. And you don't need a licence for catch up services like iPlayer
    Seriously, that 'mobile device' ruling is so stupid :nothing:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ipoop)
    Seriously, that 'mobile device' ruling is so stupid :nothing:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It is slightly weird but I'm not complaining

ReputationRep:
    I was planning on taking my TV so I could play on my Xbox; not that I'd be playing on it that often, but I thought it would be nice to talk with friends back home over it, as well as just for chilling. Also, I suppose it would make watching film more comfortable.

ReputationRep:
    S'all about tvcatchup on the laptop, it's technically been ruled as legal

ReputationRep:
    I've never bothered. In first year I just used iPlayer, and now I'm in second year we've got a shared TV in the lounge anyway.

People who bring them tend to end up being a bit anti-social, as they just retreat to their bedrooms to watch TV / play games alone.

ReputationRep:
    i have mine but i never use it tbh (but i have long hours at uni), usually forget when stuff's on and end up watching stuff on iplayer anyway. not going to bother next year i dont think. my flatmates have shorter hours, and therefore more free time, they seem to use theirs all the time. guess it depends on the individual. in my flat 4 of us have tvs, 6 dont

ReputationRep:
    I've been told its illegal to watch live things online without a tv licence. iplayer and 4od should be fine though

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Some uni's offer free licenses to watch about 30 TV channels through your laptop legally. I know UCLAN do.

ReputationRep:
    Ill be bringing mine for PS3

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I thought about bringing mine so I could take my xbox - reading this though isn't even worth taking my xbox?

ReputationRep:
    I think I might bring one. Don't know where to store it over the summer holiday though. Anyways, I will probably figure something out by then.

ReputationRep:
    Tbh if you have lots of time to sit down and watch tv your doing something wrong.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, but only for the xbox. I don't actually watch anything on it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jelly1000)
    Tbh if you have lots of time to sit down and watch tv your doing something wrong.
    How come? I think that it's quite relaxing to watch an hour of TV after a stressful day. I don't see what's wrong about that?:confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Potally_Tissed)

I doubt they will come into your rooms to inspect if you are watching tv illegally. Just do it anyway , as for me I'm thinking of buying a projector for the ps3

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Universal Student Living

Universal Student Living

“All-inclusive student accommodation in prime locations across the UK.”

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.