The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by wilkes14
Can someone help me with 'discuss current estimates of biodiversity'

What exactly do we need to know?

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

So the amount of species currently known, around 1.75 million, although some remain unknown due to them being microscopic, unicellular etc. they may be very rare so sampling areas will not be sufficient to find them. And they also may live in habitats that remain unexplored.:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Liberty.
Ditto :tongue:
My brain hurts already. I wish it was an afternoon exam! I always need to pee like 3 times in the morning :frown:
Does anyone have like a list of relevant keyword for this unit?

It is an afternoon exam I swear...?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 302
Original post by wilkes14
Can someone help me with 'discuss current estimates of biodiversity'

What exactly do we need to know?

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just done this! Not sure if you need to remember exact numbers but there's an estimate of 1.73 million species in the world of which 89,000 are in the UK. However it's not accurate as we haven't found all the species, evolution and speciation are still happening so more species are being created all the time and many species are endangered/extinct so it could be less. :smile:
Hey could somebody help me here.

I already know that evolution is the evolving of new species from older species. its done thru natural selection. And in natural selection genetic variation is needed for evolution to be successful

is this because firstly, with no variation and a selection pressure coming in the entire population could be killed because they're all the same and nothing is selected.

secondly, the adaptations that they have- are these genetic or cause of enviornmental factors? because it says that genetic variation is needed for evolution- so surely the adaptations are written in their genetic codes. and here was me thinking they were developed as a result of environmental factors..

or do you not need to know that detailed. ive just gotten confused all of a sudden.
Reply 304
What is the roles of antibodies? I thought it only binds to pathogens' antigens for agglutination and neutralisation.. but it also binds to Phagocytes? Why?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by wndms
What is the roles of antibodies? I thought it only binds to pathogens' antigens for agglutination and neutralisation.. but it also binds to Phagocytes? Why?

Posted from TSR Mobile

it binds to phagocytes, during phagocytosis in the secondary defence.
the phagocyte has receptors shaped complimentary to the constant region of an antibody. the antibodies that are free floating bind to the antigen on the surface of a pathogen and then bind to the phagocyte via the phagocytes receptor. they are then ingested etc
Reply 306
Original post by rival_
Guys how do mosquito's get infected with malaria? Or are they resistant to the parasite(plasmodium)?

Original post by rival_
Guys how do mosquito's get infected with malaria? Or are they resistant to the parasite(plasmodium)?

I learnt it like;
Mosquito will take the parasite's (plasmodium falciparum) gametes when it feeds on an infected person.
Games will fuse in the mosqutio's stomach, forming zygotes.
Infective stages will form.
Infective stages will move to the mosquito's salivary glands.
When the mosquito feeds on somebody uninfected, they will inject the infective stages into the person's blood.
The infective stages will move into the liver cells to replicate, and into the red blood cells to form gametes.

I found it really confusing because the text book described it different to my teacher, and other revision guides described it different to the mark scheme. I didn't understand what I actually needed to know so just learnt all this. D;
Reply 307
How does Tar increases diffusion distances for o2 entering the blood? Help please

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by wndms
How does Tar increases diffusion distances for o2 entering the blood? Help please

Posted from TSR Mobile

Tar coats the alveoli, thereby increasing the distance O2 is required to diffuse across.
I was looking for past papers older than june 2009 for f212, however couldn't find any? r there any other pp apart e.g. 2008/2007...?
PLEASE HELP :smile:
Original post by Liamnut
Do you know how proteins are produced?

To say it briefly, a specific part of the DNA (a gene) comes apart, there are two strands, the coding strand and the template strand, free nucelotides (with ribose sugas) bind to their complementary bases on the template strand, the mRNA then pills away and because of the base pairing rules, the mRNA will be identical to the coding strand, except where there is a T on the coding strand, there will be a U on the mRNA. The mRNA then leaves the nucleus through a nuclear pore and goes to a ribosome, either in the rough ER or in the cyctoplasm, the mRNA moves through the ribosome and as it's doing this, tRNA molecules bring the correct amino acid triplets to the ribosome (depending on the base the mRNA has), as the mRNA moves through the ribosome, more amino acid triplets get brought to the ribosome by tRNA molecules until the whole protein is assembled.

ps. It's hard to give an abstract definition of tRNA so I thought I'd just outline it's role in protein synthesis to give you a better understanding.

Alright thank you, it's better to contextualise its role anyway :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 311
Could some one explain domain and kingdom classification systems, exam style if possible please?
Reply 312
Original post by Joe4567
Could some one explain domain and kingdom classification systems, exam style if possible please?

They are part of he same classification system. They're both different taxonomic groups. There are 3 different domains and 5 different kingdoms. If you read earlier in the thread I explain this in more detail. It can also be found in the textbook.
Reply 313
What are the differences between platlets, blood clot and thrombus? So confoozle

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 314
Original post by t()m
Thanks I remember now I was making a silly mistake, cheers.

Do we have to remember the formula?
Guys ive done a few past papers. I use the cgp revision guide and the ocr book. I really need an a but i seem to find no link to what ive learnt from either of my books in most of these questions. How would i best be able to tackle the questions and prepare for the exam itself??

In particular the questions usually asking to suggest.

Also does anybody have any heavy mark exam style questions made with answers preferably so i could practice?!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Kinky People Can Often Find Great Sex - Kingdom, Phylum, Class, Order, Family, Genus, Species.
Reply 317
Original post by Liamnut
They are part of he same classification system. They're both different taxonomic groups. There are 3 different domains and 5 different kingdoms. If you read earlier in the thread I explain this in more detail. It can also be found in the textbook.

Thanks for that
Reply 318
Original post by Unsworth
Kinky People Can Often Find Great Sex - Kingdom, Phylum, Class, Order, Family, Genus, Species.

I prefer Kate Please Come Over For Gay Sex
Original post by alby37135
I prefer Kate Please Come Over For Gay Sex

Whatever floats your boat ahaha

Latest

Trending

Trending