The Student Room Group

How far away did you move to go to uni?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
In September I'll be going about 49 miles from home (about 1hour 20) I think this is good because you're far enough away in a relatively new place with new people and you can easily get home and parents can pick you up :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile[
Reply 41
My Uni's which I plan to apply to for 2014 (Northumbria and Liverpool) Liverpool is about a 40 mile drive, which isn't too far (Manchester) and Northumbria about 130 miles, so 2-3hrs
Reply 42
I moved about an hour away, and it was perfect for me. I was close enough to my parents in case anything happened, and it was far away too so I could gain my own independence in certain things.

It was certainly handy when I broke my leg and my dad had to come and get me because I couldn't drive!
100m.

And that's just the destination.

(metres btw :P )
Reply 44
Northumberland to York. So an hour and a half on the train and about 3 hours in the car.

Perfect distance.
Reply 45
There's already a thread just like this here.

Anyway, I'll be moving from London to Newcastle, so a good 450 km away! It's the furthest anyone has ever been for Uni in my family, which should prove to be interesting.
Reply 46
I'm studying at Leeds University and I live in London. It's roughly 190 miles distance and the journey time is 4 hours by National Express or 7-8 hours on Megabus! But the best (which I opt for most of the time) is the East Coast train. They run every 30 minutes and get me back to London in 2 hours 15 minutes - absolutely fantastic service, don't know what I would do without it! :biggrin: Adding on time to get to the station in Leeds and a short tube journey in London, door-to-door takes about 3 hours 30 minutes. Hopefully the journey time might be even shorter than that if and when HS2 comes around while I'm still at uni. Plus if I book early enough and with a railcard, I get one-way Leeds to London for £8.60. :smile:

Obviously being far away from home has its advantages and disadvantages. I always wanted to study in London (still do!) but never wanted to live at home. Wouldn't be allowed to live out either with the sky-high rent prices in London so moving away was the best option for me. :smile: It's sometimes difficult knowing that I can't visit home so easily (especially when the parents are missing me - they're at home on their own) and I don't have family all that close to uni - but I'm happy with my decision.
Reply 47
300 miles, about 40 minutes flight which is how I get back to my parents. I know it's probably a tad excessive to fly, but I'm terrified of trains :tongue: and there's no direct train back.

I wanted to move as far as possible, this is as far as I could go! Definitely the right choice. Disadvantages...ehm. Only that because it's so far away I'd only been here once before moving up here, so I had no idea where anything was and that sucked.
I'm starting university in September, and will be moving 40 miles or so to Sheffield from Manchester :smile: So not too far away and the transport links are good aswell! :smile:
Reply 49
I believe it's about 400 or so miles for me :smile: from Essex to Glasgow.

Posted from TSR Mobile
In September ill be moving (hopefully) a grand distance of 13.7miles. Basically a 25minute journey on a clear run! I never intended to go to a uni so close I looked at Newcastle (4hr by train) as well as Leicester Plymouth Southampton but at the end of the day the course and campus lifestyle was right for me so I had to deal with the fact it's close to home. I'm still going to live in halls because I still want the independence of student life but there are many advantages to being close to home. I get to keep my job, I'm close to friends and family, in emergencies I can get home on the bus in 45min. There are more practicalities then people often first think!

Posted from TSR Mobile
3,800 miles.

Boston, Massachusetts, USA -> Turin, Italy
Reply 52
Around 500 miles, or a 1.5 hour flight over the sea (a journey of 6 hours factoring in transfer from/to the airports). Quite convenient, can reach family whenever I want to (flights booked early are around 30 quid or so) but still have a lot of independence that way, living in another country.

It was a good decision, however I've already lived around 5,000 miles away from home for a year and will move to the other side of the planet soon (around 10,000 miles away), so it's not really a big deal :biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 53
I'm from Bristol, South West England. I want to get as far as away possible so I'm going to Edinburgh (guess I watched a lot of Braveheart when I was younger :colondollar:).

I think if you're unsure it's good to get to know a bit about the city you might apply to before visiting each place to get a feel for it. I found this page on The Complete University Guide's website really helpful: http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/cities
Reply 54
250 miles
30-40 mins away
This September it'll be about 400-500 miles. Aberdeen --> Nottingham

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sheffield to Nottingham so about 40 miles which is perfect because I can get home for £2.50 on the train (40 minutes) or by bus for £5. It's far enough that my parents don't randomly appear but they can easily pick me and my stuff up at the end of term.
This fall about 5500 kms
I will be going in September and it'll be 2hr drive or 4hr by train

Northampton->Southampton

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending