The Student Room Group

Calculating UCAS Points

Can someone help me out here.

When calculating my UCAS, if I take a subject at AS and then continue it to A2, do I add the points I got at AS (60) to my A2 points (120) to make 180. Or do we just keep 120 as I didn't drop it?

I worked this out at 640 UCAS points but that seems incredibly high. I think I've done it wrong because I don't know if you add the AS points on top of the A2 points if you continued the subject. I'm assuming you take the AS points if you drop it?
AS...
Business - 60
Economics - 60
Philosophy - 60
Critical Thinking - 60 (dropped)
Computing - 40 (dropped)
A2..
Business - 120
Economics - 120
Philosophy - 120.

I added altogether to make 640. However since I continued with Business, Economics and Philosophy do I discount the AS points so I'd just add...60+40+120+120+120? Or do I do all of them so 60+60+60+60+40+120+120+120?

Any help please? Thanks :smile:

Sorry if I seem ridiculously stupid, but for some reason something I'm applying for is insisting on knowing my total UCAS points rather than what grades I got and I've never had to calculate this before.
Reply 1
If you take a subject to full A level you just get the A Level points. So an A at A Level is worth 120.

If you drop it you get the AS points, but if you carry it on you don't.

So you need to do 120 + 120 + 120 + 60 + 40.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Juno
If you take a subject to full A level you just get the A Level points. So an A at A Level is worth 120.

If you drop it you get the AS points, but if you carry it on you don't.

THANK YOU!

So if that's right, then I have only have 460 points, yes? :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by will2348
THANK YOU!

So if that's right, then I have only have 460 points, yes? :smile:

Yes, but be aware that some unis will exclude points from an AS level, or may insist that you only count one lot of AS points. So depending on that you may only have 360 or 420. You'll need to read their terms carefully.
Original post by Juno
Yes, but be aware that some unis will exclude points from an AS level, or may insist that you only count one lot of AS points. So depending on that you may only have 360 or 420. You'll need to read their terms carefully.

Okay, thanks a lot! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending