The Student Room Group

Recommend any French book/magazines/websites to exercise my reading skills?

Hey, I have a french reading and listening exam in 2 weeks time, and I've been working with revision books i've purchased and stuff, and I'm taking french for A-level, and I have a general interest in the French language and it's culture and I was wondering if anyone could recommend any french books; any french literature? or magazines or websites that can help me with my reading and fluency?

I've been looking around for some french films as well, and I generally just google french interviews of celebrities and stuff, but yeah.

I know I can just literally search something up, but I'd like to know if anyone else has done the same to really immerse themselves in the language and I'd like to know what they read and listened to.

Thanks! :biggrin:

(I also watch Doctor Who; a show I'm interested in, with french subtitles which has helped me with sentence structures and like translations of colloquial and idiomatic phrases)
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Ive just been reading french news on Yahoo.fr and LeMonde, and sometimes watching either english films with french subtitles or french films with french subtitles, though it really doesn't help when the subtitles are completely different to what they're actually saying :P
Amélie is a good french film :smile: I love it! Priceless is good as well if you want something funny. Erm... there's A Very Long Engagement which is incredibly moving! (They're all Audrey Tautou films because she's the only french actress i really know and like right now haha.) With subtitles :biggrin:
For music, I listen to Kyo, Carla Bruni and Mélanie Laurent. They're all really good! Much unlike some French artists. (That's not reading, but oh well.)
I have been trying to read Harry Potter in French, but that's a step too far. Very difficult. I hope that I can read it properly in A2 or end of this AS year :s-smilie:
Sometimes I go on TV5 to listen to the french news and watch videos etc.
Hope this helps!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
Try going to the CGP website

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending