The Student Room Group

tehforum trolls the gym

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by James A

Or do you know of any workouts that will help me loose a little weight in the belly area but at the same time, help me build abs?

Certain/most sports allow for that. Rock climbing is a savage core workout, as are certain types of dance (street, ballet, break etc.). More conventional sports like swimming can do, though that requires technique most people don't have. Saying that with any sport it's worth getting some coaching at first as poor technique can really mess you up given the amount of repetitions you do of the movement.

Saw you mentioned talking up rowing machine at uni earlier, I'd recommend joining your uni boat club for a few weeks at least for good coaching, as poor ergo technique is like an invitation to get injured
Original post by Converse Rocker
To clarify, I didn't mean that dumbbells are inferior/useless. On the whole, they are ace. Arguably better in some cases. However, I think we can all agree that having 1 or 2 dumbbells lying around your bedroom that you randomly pick up and do 30 rep sets with, is pretty pointless. I've seen my mates blow money on them and they just act as door stops most of the time, or to try and impress any girls they get back.

Sorry if that was unclear mate.

Agree 100% that you need a broad range of weighted dumbbells to make progress.
Obviously those three variants of the press work the Pectorals however, when pressing you cannot work one part of your chest and not the other. However, those different bench positions enables you to put more emphasis on certain parts of your chest more than the others. For instance, the incline/decline works the entire chest but puts more emphasis on the Pectoral major/minor. For a good chest session it is good to incorporate all three angles during your sessions however, it's different for everyone. I do not do decline because it simply doesn't work for me however, I benefit loads from working incline on the other hand. Hopefully you understood my simplified response:smile:
Reply 183
Original post by t00 g00d for u
Get those legumes going. Especially now as loads of the supermarkets have these Ramadan deals for chickpeas, red kidney beans etc.

Hummus is awesome, as the amino acid profile of chickpeas is complemented with the amino acid profile of sesame seed paste, to give you a complete protein source.
Allow the protein shakes man, you wont get in enough calories, unless you aim to stick some peanut butter in there.

You best be using whole milk as well!

Per 100g it has 25g fat...

-------------------------

Guys

Squat 85kg 3x5
Dead lift 80kg 3x5
Bench press 40kg 7x5 - I'm going to increase the weight to get 3x5
Shoulder press 37kg 5x5
Overhead press with barbell 27.5kg
Bicep curl - 27.5kg (both hands using the machine) at least 7x5
Tricep extension 25kg 3x5 I find this a lot harder
Seated row 39kg 5x5

Today's intake so far
500ml of semi skim milk..no whole milk ATM plus 3scoops of protein powder is around 700cals and 80g protein
3slices of bread 285 cals
Tin of beans 350 cals 20gprotein
Some cheese
So I need another 1200 or so....till the end of today

Halp
Reply 184
What machine are you using for bicep curl?

Why are you using a machine for bicep curl?
Reply 185
Original post by 419
What machine are you using for bicep curl?

Why are you using a machine for bicep curl?

A precor machine
Two handles
Upper arms lay flat on a pad which is declined

For convenience since theres no need to set up or stand up and wait around to rest for the next set.
Original post by tehforum
A precor machine
Two handles
Upper arms lay flat on a pad which is declined

For convenience since theres no need to set up or stand up and wait around to rest for the next set.

I use that too, I find it's one of the few machines I get a good pump from.

How's the bulk going bro?
Reply 187
Original post by pinda.college
I use that too, I find it's one of the few machines I get a good pump from.

How's the bulk going bro?

Hard as anything
Is there a bulking faq? Or thread

Stats are improving

You said I have to eat above maintenance everyday, and get the same protein intake?
If true, why?

Cant I just have 2 protein shakes to make up a lot of cals and protein?
Hard as anything
Is there a bulking faq? Or thread

Stats are improving

You said I have to eat above maintenance everyday, and get the same protein intake?
If true, why?

Cant I just have 2 protein shakes to make up a lot of cals and protein?

How many calories are you consuming/what are your macros at the moment?
Reply 189
How many calories are you consuming/what are your macros at the moment?

WTF

GRAMS per day 378.3g carbs 154g protein 69.3g fat 31 - 39 fibre 2753 cals
GRAMS per meal 126.1 51.3 23.1 10 - 13 918

I went on iifym.com and chose the Harris-Benedict formula.

I am way below what I need. Do I need to eat this amount every day?

Or only on working out days?

In rest days, so I eat less to not put on fat, if so, how much do I eat according to the numbers above?

Help, I need to achieve these goals, I'm not working hard only for it to be thrown away by a lacking diet.

I will definitely need 2 protein shakes with 3 scoops in to achieve this kind of thing.
WTF

GRAMS per day 378.3g carbs 154g protein 69.3g fat 31 - 39 fibre 2753 cals
GRAMS per meal 126.1 51.3 23.1 10 - 13 918

I went on iifym.com and chose the Harris-Benedict formula.

I am way below what I need. Do I need to eat this amount every day?

Or only on working out days?

In rest days, so I eat less to not put on fat, if so, how much do I eat according to the numbers above?

Help, I need to achieve these goals, I'm not working hard only for it to be thrown away by a lacking diet.

I will definitely need 2 protein shakes with 3 scoops in to achieve this kind of thing.

Realistically if you're growing from your calculated macros then it is best to stick to that calorific intake however, anything over maintenance should be ok. So it's not the end of the world if you are unable to hit your calories/macros on certain days, but just be cautious to not make it a habit. Eating on rest days is just as important as eating on training days, your body needs to remain in an anabolic state to reach your goals (as well as ensuring your metabolism is benefited through eating regularly). How many calories do you get per scoop of protein?
Reply 191
Realistically if you're growing from your calculated macros then it is best to stick to that calorific intake however, anything over maintenance should be ok. So it's not the end of the world if you are unable to hit your calories/macros on certain days, but just be cautious to not make it a habit. Eating on rest days is just as important as eating on training days, your body needs to remain in an anabolic state to reach your goals (as well as ensuring your metabolism is benefited through eating regularly). How many calories do you get per scoop of protein?

120cals

21.3g of protein/30g scoop
120cals

21.3g of protein/30g scoop

Are you not able to hit 154g of protein with less shakes?
Reply 193
Are you not able to hit 154g of protein with less shakes?

I highly doubt it, not when I'm at home.
When I'm at uni, sure.
When I'm at uni, sure.

When I'm at uni, sure.

Am I correct in thinking that you're getting over 120g of your daily 154g of protein from shakes? If so then what are you eating in the day, sorry if I haven't got this right.
Reply 195
Am I correct in thinking that you're getting over 120g of your daily 154g of protein from shakes? If so then what are you eating in the day, sorry if I haven't got this right.

Yeah probably

I can sort out the protein intake by buying some tuna.

Is there anything bad by just using shakes?

Milk is a big source for me as I use that for the shakes and breakfast which is porridfe with 1 cup oats to 2 cups milk

-------

Heres what I did today

Squat 85kg 3x5
Dl 5x5 Personal best, did two sets more 80kg raise weight next time
Bench 45kg 10x5 Personal best raise weight a lot
Ohp 27.5kg 3x5 maybe raise to 30kg
Bicep curl 30kg 10x5, Personal best 20mins to do 10 sets raise?
Seated row 41.5kg 5x5 , Personal best, raise
Shoulder press 39kg 5x5 , Personal best, raise
Tricep extension 27.5kg raise?
Pec fly 39kg 5x5, PB
Tricep extension standing up 41kg 5x5 PB
Pulldown sitting down using a bar 36kg 5x5
Rear delt 18kg 3x5

Bonus to get a pump

Bicep curl 25kg 1x10, 18kg 1x10, 1x10, 1x10, 1x10, 1x10, 1x10, 1x10 7 sets in total
(edited 10 years ago)
All that in one day? I would be knackered.
Reply 197
Original post by Enginerd.
All that in one day? I would be knackered.

Yeah

Most them are on machines if that makes any difference but I doubt it
Yeah probably

I can sort out the protein intake by buying some tuna.

Is there anything bad by just using shakes?

Milk is a big source for me as I use that for the shakes and breakfast which is porridfe with 1 cup oats to 2 cups milk

-------

Heres what I did today

Squat 85kg 3x5
Dl 5x5 Personal best, did two sets more 80kg raise weight next time
Bench 45kg 10x5 Personal best raise weight a lot
Ohp 27.5kg 3x5 maybe raise to 30kg
Bicep curl 30kg 10x5, Personal best 20mins to do 10 sets raise?
Seated row 41.5kg 5x5 , Personal best, raise
Shoulder press 39kg 5x5 , Personal best, raise
Tricep extension 27.5kg raise?
Pec fly 39kg 5x5, PB
Tricep extension standing up 41kg 5x5 PB
Pulldown sitting down using a bar 36kg 5x5
Rear delt 18kg 3x5

Bonus to get a pump

Bicep curl 25kg 1x10, 18kg 1x10, 1x10, 1x10, 1x10, 1x10, 1x10, 1x10 7 sets in total

There is no problem with taking protein shakes however, you do not want to become too dependent on them (remember they are supposed to be supplementary) but it could be argued that if you're reaching your protein goals then all is good. Yeah stock up on the tuna because it's such an convenient meal to have if you cannot be bothered with cooking etc (tinned sardines are good too, cheap from Lidl/Aldi).

What a session man:shock:
Yeah

Most them are on machines if that makes any difference but I doubt it

BEAST MODE!! hmm,, machines are easier to work out on rather then free weights etc (imo), still be knackered though. Your rep ranges are high tbh. You going for stamina?

Quick Reply

Latest