The Student Room Group

tehforum trolls the gym

Scroll to see replies

Not everything has to be perfect. Everything you do wrong does detract from your overall results, but it is a marathon and not a sprint. Having a **** day or even week every now and again is not the end of the world. It's been 11 months since I started SS now and I've missed about a month of complete training and about two of leg training due to injuries, holidays etc. I'm sure my progress would've been better if I hadn't, but the progress is still there.

With regard to eating, eating say 5000kcal over two days is not all that different 2500kcal once per day for two days... I mean there might be short term effects from not eating much e.g. feeling weak, tired etc. but long-term weight gain shouldn't be affected.
Reply 381
Update.

21/1/2014

Squats 82.5kg 5x5
Press 35kg 5x5 (fail) 2 sets, then finished with 32.5kg sets
DL 82.5kg 1x5
Row 37.5kg 5x5
CGBP 35kg 3x8
Curls 3x8 12kg + EZ bars, can't remember how much weight

23/1/2014
Squats 85kg 5x5
Bench 42.5kg 5x5 (was supposed to increase - but I decided to play it safe. Next session will increase
Row 42.5kg 5x5
Shrugs 67.5kg 3x8
Triceps 17.5kg (i think) 5x8
Curls 4x8 12kg + EZ bar + 12.5kg
ABs 50kg
Good mornings - left them out

26/1/2014
Squats 87.5kg 5x5 - fail after 1 set, I didn't feel like I was going to be able to do these properly with good form, finished off with 4 sets of 85
Press 35kg 5x5 - aw yeah
DL 85kg 1x5
Row (-10%) 37.5kg 5x5
CGBP 37.5kg 3x8
Curls 3x8 12kg + EZ curls, one set 17.5kg, two sets 15kg, and 3 sets 10kg added
Abs 50kg 3x10
Reply 382
Nice mate, just wondering what is your current weight and height atm?
Decent CGBP you got there, as I hardly work on my triceps, although my mate keep on telling me to. I'm more of a cardio person tbh.
Doing a Intermediate Triathlon this summer. :rolleyes:
Reply 383
Original post by Cashmee
Decent CGBP you got there, as I hardly work on my triceps, although my mate keep on telling me to. I'm more of a cardio person tbh.

I think 5,7 and 71kg+ atm

It's either I've got a decent CGBP, or I'm not doing it right haha
Original post by tehforum
I think 5,7 and 71kg+ atm

It's either I've got a decent CGBP, or I'm not doing it right haha

Assuming you don't use your legs at all, I'm more impressed with your press! Seems good compared to some of your other UB stuff.
Reply 385
Original post by illusionz
Assuming you don't use your legs at all, I'm more impressed with your press! Seems good compared to some of your other UB stuff.

Yep, no legs
Fair play mate. Dunno if it's me but having an OHP that close to your row and bench implied your shoulders must be pretty good.
Reply 387
Fair play mate. Dunno if it's me but having an OHP that close to your row and bench implied your shoulders must be pretty good.

I don't know what it is about rows.

I just hate them.

I get tired by the 3rd rep!

And the bending of the back, and the kneeling so the bar comes down just below the knees is not doing my any favours at all

I just hate them.

And the bending of the back, and the kneeling so the bar comes down just below the knees is not doing my any favours at all

Fair, I love rows! Feel much more natural than lots of lifts for me. I hate benching with a barbell, my form is terrible and it just doesn't hit the muscles that it should.
Reply 389
Fair, I love rows! Feel much more natural than lots of lifts for me. I hate benching with a barbell, my form is terrible and it just doesn't hit the muscles that it should.

have you looked at the bar path?
have you looked at the bar path?

Not really, I should get vids of myself doing a few things and post them on here. Phone been broken last 2 weeks but it's back up now so will try soon methinks. Looked at so you think you can bench and got some pointers but still not feeling amazing.
(edited 10 years ago)

I just hate them.

Wait what? Your back shouldn't "bend" in rows! And you should be standing not kneeling? I don't follow aha
Reply 392
Original post by Implication
Wait what? Your back shouldn't "bend" in rows! And you should be standing not kneeling? I don't follow aha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cj4ty3K9e4

like this
by god I hate them so much

28/1/2014
Squats 87.5kg 5x5 pb
Bench 45kg 5x5 pb
Row 42.5kg again 5x5
Shrugs 70kg 3x8 pb
Tricep extension 20kg 5x8 pb
Curls 12kg 3x8 + EZ bar (+15kg 1x8, then 12.5g 4x8)
Ab machine 50kg 3x10
Missed out good mornings
That row form just looks uncomfortable as ****. Lowering the bar that low achieves nothing, only negatives can come from it, which makes it pointless.Try them Dorian style. I used to hate barbell rows, I found them uncomfortable and they didn't really hit my lats.. Since going Dorian style, it's completely different. No discomfort, and great lat engagement.
It's all about the Pendlays dude. It's hard as **** to progress on real strict, slow rows with a negative. Still, I'm sure they'll build you amazing lats
Figured you'd be interested in this and seemed the most logical place to put it, judgment for injunction from Norton v Blaha at bottom of the page: http://www.biolayne.com/news/press-release-uk-high-court-of-justice-issues-injunction-against-jason-blaha/

Damages hearing presumably still pending, on the multi track though so could be punishing, plus Withers and a Matrix junior is going to be some big costs.

Also, nice squat PB :smile:
Reply 396
Original post by King Leonidas
Don't beat yourself up over it brah, just get back on track tomorrow and don't make up for it by eating more (otherwise that will just **** everything up). Whenever I miss meals I feel like crap, not so much if I miss a training session though. Looking forward to the next update, I'm anticipating a good session.

Original post by Le Nombre
Figured you'd be interested in this and seemed the most logical place to put it, judgment for injunction from Norton v Blaha at bottom of the page: http://www.biolayne.com/news/press-release-uk-high-court-of-justice-issues-injunction-against-jason-blaha/

Damages hearing presumably still pending, on the multi track though so could be punishing, plus Withers and a Matrix junior is going to be some big costs.

Also, nice squat PB :smile:

Original post by Implication
It's all about the Pendlays dude. It's hard as **** to progress on real strict, slow rows with a negative. Still, I'm sure they'll build you amazing lats

Original post by Scoobiedoobiedo
That row form just looks uncomfortable as ****. Lowering the bar that low achieves nothing, only negatives can come from it, which makes it pointless.Try them Dorian style. I used to hate barbell rows, I found them uncomfortable and they didn't really hit my lats.. Since going Dorian style, it's completely different. No discomfort, and great lat engagement.

Not really, I should get vids of myself doing a few things and post them on here. Phone been broken last 2 weeks but it's back up now so will try soon methinks. Looked at so you think you can bench and got some pointers but still not feeling amazing.

Original post by Cashmee

back from band camp
back from band camp

Good to have you back:yy:

How's the training going
squat 90 5x5? not bad...

what are your other lifts at now?
Reply 399
30/1/2014

Squats 87.5kg 5x5
Press 35kg 5x5
DL 87.5kg 1x5
Row 40kg 5x5
CGBP -- didn't get to do this, gym was too busy, put some weights on an EZ bar and benched that. not the same feel
Curls 12kg 3x8 + EZ curls +7.5kg, 5, 2.5

1/2/2014
Squats 87.5kg 5x5
Bench 47.5kg 5x5, failed last rep of last set, crying
Row 45kg 5x5
Shrugs 72.5kg 3x8
Tricep extensions 20kg 3x8
Curls - as above
Missed out abs and good mornings - i never do these, just don't have enough time

3/2/2014
Squat 87.5kg 5x5 - on dat improving form and strength, so yeah, same weight
Press 37.5kg 5x5 (fail) 1 set, finished with 35kg
DL 90kg 1x5 PB
Row 40kg 5x5
Again, no CGBP, gym too busy, so tried out skullcrushers. These are way better than tricep extensions, can really feel dat feel. Went light as I had no idea what I was doing 5kg + EZ bar. felt dat dere doms the next day, woo
Curls 14kg 1x8, finished with 4 sets of 12kg 3x8 - definitely improved on this
Abs - missed out

Today 5/2/2014
Squats 90kg 5x5 PB
Bench 47.5kg 5x5 failed last set, last rep ffs
Row 45kg 5x5, then 47.5kg 2x5, testing out Yate's form, I like it a lot, I like how the forearms track the quads,it makes it easier I feel
Shrugs 75kg 3x8
Skullcrushers - started off with 2.5kg, then 5kg, then 7.5kg, then 10kg, then 3x8 12.5kg + EZ bar
Curls 14kg 4x8 PB - thank god I cracked this
Missed out abs and good mornings, not enough time

Also, weigh in 73.4kg, gains of 2.4kg.

Quick Reply

Latest