The Student Room Group

tehforum trolls the gym

Scroll to see replies

Reply 780
Original post by Rahul.S
LOOOOL I haven't been on tsr since ages and I see a thread designated for you, 5x5 rules- its also what I'm doing now. Why are you doing skullcruchers and curls lol? U seen mehdi's videos right?

sup

Nah I haven't.

I'm doing "ice cream fitness by Jason Blaha".
Reply 781
Original post by tehforum
sup

Nah I haven't.

I'm doing "ice cream fitness by Jason Blaha".

LOOOOOOOL rewatch it then!!!! some gassst thread, should be closed by now LOL. Im off TSR anyways so don't bother replying, came on cuz got a message but never expected to see such BULL, a 5x5 regime with skullcruchers and curls ://// curls what 12kg or sumthin, u SERIOUZZZ??? :giggle:
Reply 782
Original post by Rahul.S
LOOOOOOOL rewatch it then!!!! some gassst thread, should be closed by now LOL. Im off TSR anyways so don't bother replying, came on cuz got a message but never expected to see such BULL, a 5x5 regime with skullcruchers and curls ://// curls what 12kg or sumthin, u SERIOUZZZ??? :giggle:

Yeah 12kg dumbbells.
Original post by Rahul.S
LOOOOL I haven't been on tsr since ages and I see a thread designated for you, 5x5 rules- its also what I'm doing now. Why are you doing skullcruchers and curls lol? U seen mehdi's videos right?

Don't trust mehdi, always sounds like he's just parroting stuff he's heard elsewhere... and who doesn't do curls, srsly?
Reply 784
Original post by Implication
Don't trust mehdi, always sounds like he's just parroting stuff he's heard elsewhere... and who doesn't do curls, srsly?

I follow Elliot Hulse the most and he even praised Mehdi's stuff, which I think is very good; most people would have to pay good money for that shizz. It dont matter if his got his info elsewhere, his spent good time making those vids and tbh they are good esp for someone getting into strength training. You don't have to do curls AT ALL when doing strength training, I for one don't and know MANY that don't and have big biceps- personally with my routines I'm focusing on the top 5 strength exercises and don't waste energy on isolation stuff like curls. Also, in regards to tehforum I think he didn't do deadlifts in that post, unless his got a problem with it he should be doing them! Btw has he even given his height and weight stats?
Wow those stats are badass, I bet you're HUGE :biggrin:
Reply 786
Original post by Rahul.S
I follow Elliot Hulse the most and he even praised Mehdi's stuff, which I think is very good; most people would have to pay good money for that shizz. It dont matter if his got his info elsewhere, his spent good time making those vids and tbh they are good esp for someone getting into strength training. You don't have to do curls AT ALL when doing strength training, I for one don't and know MANY that don't and have big biceps- personally with my routines I'm focusing on the top 5 strength exercises and don't waste energy on isolation stuff like curls. Also, in regards to tehforum I think he didn't do deadlifts in that post, unless his got a problem with it he should be doing them! Btw has he even given his height and weight stats?

There's two workouts (A and B).

Oh, forgot to update the deadlift, did 107.5kg 1x5.
Reply 787
Original post by Rahul.S

Except for the deadlift and OHP, I can't see there being enough hypertrophy to gain size in the bicep region tbh.
Original post by Rahul.S

Curls don't take much energy (actually the preacher curl can be a bitch of an exercise) so it's not difficult to squeeze them in at the end. I'm yet to see anyone with half decent guns that dont try them directly-- where have you seen these people? I train them like 1-2 times a month but believe me even that small amount of isolation helps a lot.

The trouble is people do 'strength' training concentrating on tonnes of squats and deadlifts, then wonder why they don't look like a bodybuilder.
Original post by Rahul.S

172kg Squat, 107.5 Bench, 196kg deadlift, 75kg Strict overhead.
12.5 inch arms.

Strong lack of any arm isolation work. Am fixing this over the last few weeks but 3 years of no direct arm work because "Dem squats magically make your arm grow" is a lie.

Tbh it's largely genetics but if you want to spend 5 minutes doing them at the end of a session it doesn't matter and will only help.
Reply 790
Original post by Motorbiker
172kg Squat, 107.5 Bench, 196kg deadlift, 75kg Strict overhead.
12.5 inch arms.

Strong lack of any arm isolation work. Am fixing this over the last few weeks but 3 years of no direct arm work because "Dem squats magically make your arm grow" is a lie.

Tbh it's largely genetics but if you want to spend 5 minutes doing them at the end of a session it doesn't matter and will only help.

I'm loving it.
Original post by Rahul.S
I follow Elliot Hulse the most and he even praised Mehdi's stuff, which I think is very good; most people would have to pay good money for that shizz. It dont matter if his got his info elsewhere, his spent good time making those vids and tbh they are good esp for someone getting into strength training.

Maybe it is good advice for beginners but like I say I don't trust him for anything beyond the basics and maybe not even then. Getting information from other places is one thing but I never get the feeling he actually understands why he's repeating the stuff he if that makes sense. Maybe I'm just suspicious, but there you go.

Elliot Hulse is much better but even he is trying to sell you something and some of his ideas on non-fitness topics are very hand wavy and new-age-esque... pretty sure he advises curls anyway though?

You don't have to do curls AT ALL when doing strength training, I for one don't and know MANY that don't and have big biceps- personally with my routines I'm focusing on the top 5 strength exercises and don't waste energy on isolation stuff like curls.

Well of course you don't have to do curls but you're almost certainly a moron if you're training for size and you don't. They take up virtually no time to whack on the end of a workout and go a very long way to building nice biceps. Bicep training is a must for anyone who does a significant amount of pressing and cares about elbow health, and no other movement except the full ROM chin up (which basically no one does) comes close to working the bicep through its full range of elbow flexion.

Of course your routine should focus on compounds but if you think the perfect routine consists of NOTHING but squats, deads and presses you are deluded and should probably spend less time listening to dyel kids like myself chat **** on the internet.

Protip: all your big and strong heroes do curls

Also, in regards to tehforum I think he didn't do deadlifts in that post, unless his got a problem with it he should be doing them! Btw has he even given his height and weight stats?

AFAIK he does do deads, just not every workout... which would be retarded.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Hey Tehforum, do you have a before and a present day pictures? Ideally, I'd like to see your whole body:smile: thanks:wink:
Reply 793
Original post by kidomo
Hey Tehforum, do you have a before and a present day pictures? Ideally, I'd like to see your whole body:smile: thanks:wink:

I might do a 3 month 'transformation'.
I might do a 3 month 'transformation'.

Brilliant:biggrin: How many months are we in now? I'm not expecting you to have made huge gains in that short period, but I wanna see those little gains and how it is affecting your overall body shape:tongue:
Reply 795
Original post by kidomo
Brilliant:biggrin: How many months are we in now? I'm not expecting you to have made huge gains in that short period, but I wanna see those little gains and how it is affecting your overall body shape:tongue:

2 months.

I'm just bigger. Everything I'd expect from a proper diet plan and a full body workout.

I've even got muscle in my back O_O
Reply 796
Elliott Hulse, POG, Omar Isuf, Jason Blaha and Hodgetwins (for comedy)

I find Jason and Omar's advice the most helpful though
I made massive changes in the first 3-4 months. It was insanely rapid at that stage but I religiously went gym 3 times and cardio 3 times a week-- I missed 2 sessions in 4 months. In fact on my blog the first pic is the end of the mini transformation. I wish I took starting pics. My belly would hang over my belt and jiggle about, tricep fat big-time, ass, legs and lower back fat. It was awful

Sent from my HTC One
(edited 10 years ago)
2 months.

I'm just bigger. Everything I'd expect from a proper diet plan and a full body workout.

I've even got muscle in my back O_O

oh man, this piece is getting me fired up! xD I have bought my monthly gym membership and I can't wait to hit the gym! :biggrin:
Reply 799
Original post by Implication
Maybe it is good advice for beginners but like I say I don't trust him for anything beyond the basics and maybe not even then. Getting information from other places is one thing but I never get the feeling he actually understands why he's repeating the stuff he if that makes sense. Maybe I'm just suspicious, but there you go.

Elliot Hulse is much better but even he is trying to sell you something and some of his ideas on non-fitness topics are very hand wavy and new-age-esque... pretty sure he advises curls anyway though?

Well of course you don't have to do curls but you're almost certainly a moron if you're training for size and you don't. They take up virtually no time to whack on the end of a workout and go a very long way to building nice biceps. Bicep training is a must for anyone who does a significant amount of pressing and cares about elbow health, and no other movement except the full ROM chin up (which basically no one does) comes close to working the bicep through its full range of elbow flexion.

Of course your routine should focus on compounds but if you think the perfect routine consists of NOTHING but squats, deads and presses you are deluded and should probably spend less time listening to dyel kids like myself chat **** on the internet.

Protip: all your big and strong heroes do curls

AFAIK he does do deads, just not every workout... which would be retarded.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Mehdi is a good person to look at when your looking to start a strength regime for the first time, I should say this to you and other people in this forum, I'm sharing my views from my experiences and fellow friends as well info I've watched etc. by no means will my opinion hold for every person.

tbh with curls, they work a treat for the biceps, when I use to have a bicep and shoulder day, I would do way more sets for bicep curls as they were very effective but having started the strength regime of 5x5, I feel my biceps have progressed well without even doing any curls, Ofc you don't waste lots of energy in doing curls, but I rather just drain myself in my strength exercises completely. Although my aim is purely strength which doesn't seem like the common thing everyone here is for.

And no I'm not deluded, I've been training long enough and been to gyms luckily where I've managed to meet people who have competed so I like to think my opinion holds good grounds. I guess in a nutshell I feel when it comes to 5x5, depending on the individual, there is no need to do bicep curls but this is based on your aim on gaining strength or badass biceps :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest