The Student Room Group

tehforum trolls the gym

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tehforum
yep

belted curls.

for more weight, for my poverty biceps.

Standing straight bar bicep curls should be just that - a bicep movement. When it turns into, how hard can my core contract competition against the weight being lifted, it's an ineffective movement to isolate the bodypart. Hence, the belt.

wat
Original post by illusionz
wat

don't hate on my bicep gainz

if you want to hate on a player, hate on those who do 100kg+ quarter squats at my gym
Reminds me of a guy in my gym who belts up for chess press machine amongst other movements.

If your abs are your limiting factor for curlz... Just wth

Posted from TSR Mobile
not hating, if it works it works. i curl in the rack occasionally so yknow
Found a video of you curling.

yep

belted curls.

for more weight, for my poverty biceps.

Standing straight bar bicep curls should be just that - a bicep movement. When it turns into, how hard can my core contract competition against the weight being lifted, it's an ineffective movement to isolate the bodypart. Hence, the belt.

If your core can't comfortably handle the amount of weight you're curling you clearly have an issue with your core, belting up won't solve it.

For now do preachers or something to isolate the bis, but also do a ****load of stability core work.
Original post by Scoobiedoobiedo
Found a video of you curling.

Is that tom cruise :biggrin:?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Le Nombre
also do a ****load of stability core work.

This.
Weighted planks, front rack holds, that sort of thing should do the trick.
My personal favorite is belted lateral raises.

I really expected you to say you do something 'else' belted lol Your trolling has quietened down

Fun fact: There is a "guy" at my gym who wears a belt while doing dumbbell curls, he also holds the dumbbells with sponges.

I think it's a thing. There's a fair few in my gym who use sponges. Weird
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by silent ninja

I think it's a thing. There's a fair few in my gym who use sponges. Weird

We used to do it for swimming, increases the strength in your forearms. Coach used to allow it begrudgingly, because we all wanted to get a few curls in (being 17 and all) but biceps aren't used much in swimming so he figured it was a reasonable compromise.
Haven't updated in a bit.
Did 115kg 5x5 squats, did 140kg (again) 1x5 DLs, 85kg 5x5 rows, 105kg 3x8 shrugs, 50kg OHP 5x5 (again)

62.5kg 5x5 bench (again) - using a thumb width from the smooth inner bar. Don't want to aggravate my shoulder.
Did 115kg 5x5 squats, did 140kg (again) 1x5 DLs, 85kg 5x5 rows, 105kg 3x8 shrugs, 50kg OHP 5x5 (again)

62.5kg 5x5 bench (again) - using a thumb width from the smooth inner bar. Don't want to aggravate my shoulder.

Squats getting strong

I know you like to follow Blaha's routine quite religiously (and rightly so) but if flat bench is aggravating your shoulder and limiting your pressing gains then maybe try switching to decline bench/floor press or even dumbbells? Just a thought

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Reps4Jesus
Squats getting strong

I know you like to follow Blaha's routine quite religiously (and rightly so) but if flat bench is aggravating your shoulder and limiting your pressing gains then maybe try switching to decline bench/floor press or even dumbbells? Just a thought

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not even sure if it was bench.

It could have been my heavy skullcrushers. I think I was doing 27.5kg + bar. Apparently lowering the bar behind the head is bad for the shoulders.

It could have been the OHP.

I can't isolate a single factor, if it was one exercise, that caused the iffy shoulder.

Tomorrow 65kg bench, wish me luck.

As for the squats, yeah they're getting better, but I am doing low bar.

I bet if I switched to high bar tomorrow I wouldn't be able to do 100kg like I used to.
(edited 9 years ago)

Row is getting strong, and miles ahead of bench!!

Refreshed PC, bought new RAM still no vids.

What's up OP?

Posted from TSR Mobile
how is your row so far ahead of bench?
Inb4 chicken jerk of a row

If legit form no hamstring twitch, thats a good row!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Maybe its a lack of confidence benching by myself?

I honestly don't think its a technique issue anymore.

And yeah 85kg is a 'chicken jerk' row, but I can do 80kg pretty strict
Maybe its a lack of confidence benching by myself?

I honestly don't think its a technique issue anymore.

Post videos. Then we can look at your bench technique.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is this like your 'parallel' squats? :d :biggrin: :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest