The Student Room Group

Lost my railcard - now have an unpaid fare notice

Okay, so I bought tickets from Nottingham to Sutton over a week ago with my railcard (I am 20). Whilst walking to the train station, I somehow lost my card, and as a result, was issued an unpaid fare notice for £78.50. I am seriously panicking because, as a university student, there is absolutely no way I can afford to pay this, and I am far too embarrassed to tell my parents, as they have bailed me out too many times already. I am planning to appeal this, but am not sure how to word my appeal/how successful I am likely to be.

I am actually so stressed out/upset by this :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
there isn't anything you can do beside pay the fine yourself (which you can't) turn to your parents again (which you won't)

the only option left is they pass their charge to their debt collectors who will then hassle you everyday of your life until its paid but after 6 years you should be fine as it will be statute-barred

but sometimes they will take it to the court and you will get a criminal record if you lose for train fare evasion.

go out have fun its friday friday friday
Swallow your pride and call your parents :/
Complain about it/ They'll reject it a few times but don't back down. My dad had booked tickets for a Virgin train, he accidentally got on a train at a different time. It wasn't full, but the ticket inspector still decided to try and be a dick about it. He got issued with a fine, and complained about it for ages and went to his MP. We ended up getting Virgin vouchers as an apology :awesome:

Seriously, these people make their money by assuming people are pussies who have no idea what they're rights are. Don't take it.
Reply 4
Surely there's a way to prove that you have a card and that it actually is lost? Perhaps they have records online of your railcard or email/mail correspondence about your card? I'd definitely appeal and if you can give them any proof you stand a good chance.
Reply 5
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
Complain about it/ They'll reject it a few times but don't back down. My dad had booked tickets for a Virgin train, he accidentally got on a train at a different time. It wasn't full, but the ticket inspector still decided to try and be a dick about it. He got issued with a fine, and complained about it for ages and went to his MP. We ended up getting Virgin vouchers as an apology :awesome:

Seriously, these people make their money by assuming people are pussies who have no idea what they're rights are. Don't take it.

But if you don't have your railcard, your tickets are invalid. The inspector wasn't being a dick in your dad's case - unless you buy open tickets, your ticket is only valid on a certain train.
Original post by zerstorte-zelle
Okay, so I bought tickets from Nottingham to Sutton over a week ago with my railcard (I am 20). Whilst walking to the train station, I somehow lost my card, and as a result, was issued an unpaid fare notice for £78.50. I am seriously panicking because, as a university student, there is absolutely no way I can afford to pay this, and I am far too embarrassed to tell my parents, as they have bailed me out too many times already. I am planning to appeal this, but am not sure how to word my appeal/how successful I am likely to be.

I am actually so stressed out/upset by this :frown:

The fact that you haven't paid for it yet means that you can appeal it, I think you have like 14 days to appeal it. Firstly, state that you lost your railcard, also state that you actually have a railcard, and show them a photocopy of your replacement card, and then state that you are a university student with very limited funds, perhaps show them a bank statement, also state that you had an original ticket which you can show, so to then be charged for the cost of another ticket without any concession is extremely unfair, although the rules exist, the rules penalise those who don't intend to abuse the system in any way . Good luck, personally I don't think it will make a difference because train companies are misers, but its worth a try.
Original post by OU Student
But if you don't have your railcard, your tickets are invalid. The inspector wasn't being a dick in your dad's case - unless you buy open tickets, your ticket is only valid on a certain train.

That's so pathetic though, surely. I mean anyone with a scrap of common decency can understand that people make mistakes, he had a ticket so he wasn't trying to dodge, the ticket he had was for a MORE EXPENSIVE train than the one he got on so he wasn't pissing about or anything. Why do people have to be so anal? It's ridiculous. There is no need
Reply 8
That's so pathetic though, surely. I mean anyone with a scrap of common decency can understand that people make mistakes, he had a ticket so he wasn't trying to dodge, the ticket he had was for a MORE EXPENSIVE train than the one he got on so he wasn't pissing about or anything. Why do people have to be so anal? It's ridiculous. There is no need

But his ticket is still invalid, which is no different to not having a ticket in the first place.
Original post by OU Student
But his ticket is still invalid, which is no different to not having a ticket in the first place.

It quite clearly is, as he had every intent to pay and had paid he just accidentally got on the wrong train. That's so different from someone deciding to take their chances and not pay.
As has been said make a fuss about it. If you can prove you do in fact have a valid railcard and it was simply lost, I would think they will drop the fine.

I accidentally bought the wrong ticket once, and received a fine. I made a fuss and not only got the fine removed I got reimbursed for the price difference.

It's their train. If you've not paid to be on it then they have every right to fine you.
Original post by Rob da Mop
It's their train. If you've not paid to be on it then they have every right to fine you.

He accidentally got on the wrong train it's not like he was deliberately being decietful or anything. ****ing hell whatever happened to decency.
Reply 13
In my experience most ticket inspectors are really petty about the most trivial of things. I'm not sure why they are so anal about people making little mistakes. Fair enough if you've jumped on a train without a ticket hoping to get a free ride, but if you've made a genuine mistake and can prove so then I don't see why there is a major problem.

A fine of up to £60 is nothing on the grand scale of their profit margins every year, but to an individual it's quite a hefty sum of money. It just goes to show that companies value money over people. Sad really.
Reply 14
Regardless of whether people think the ticket inspector should have given the OP a break or not because they lost their railpass, it makes no difference. Without the accompanying valid railcard, the tickets aren't valid. The inspector isn't to know if you have a pass or not, pure and simple, and the OP was therefore travelling without a valid ticket. The smart thing to do in this case is to try and contest it using the previously mentioned methods of ordering a replacement.
He accidentally got on the wrong train it's not like he was deliberately being decietful or anything. ****ing hell whatever happened to decency.

Capitalism.
Original post by Rish7
In my experience most ticket inspectors are really petty about the most trivial of things. I'm not sure why they are so anal about people making little mistakes. Fair enough if you've jumped on a train without a ticket hoping to get a free ride, but if you've made a genuine mistake and can prove so then I don't see why there is a major problem.

A fine of up to £60 is nothing on the grand scale of their profit margins every year, but to an individual it's quite a hefty sum of money. It just goes to show that companies value money over people. Sad really.

Agree with this. It's not like they're going to miss £60. The ticket inspectors get commission for their unpaid fare notices which is why they're so keen to give them out to everyone who makes even the smallest mistake. Idiots.
Original post by Rob da Mop
Capitalism.

There's capitalism and then there's being a ****.
Reply 18
Original post by Lil2wkd
Regardless of whether people think the ticket inspector should have given the OP a break or not because they lost their railpass, it makes no difference. Without the accompanying valid railcard, the tickets aren't valid. The inspector isn't to know if you have a pass or not, pure and simple, and the OP was therefore travelling without a valid ticket. The smart thing to do in this case is to try and contest it using the previously mentioned methods of ordering a replacement.

Whilst you are correct, it wouldn't take much for ticket inspectors to at least be helpful or offer a solution. It's almost like they brand you as some sort of criminal and leave you with no alternative to pay a fine and that's the end of it. Never have I had a ticket inspector explain to me that if it is a genuine mistake, that I could contest it and prove my innocence.

Manners really don't cost a thing but nobody seems to have the time of day for them anymore.
Reply 19
Agree with this. It's not like they're going to miss £60. The ticket inspectors get commission for their unpaid fare notices which is why they're so keen to give them out to everyone who makes even the smallest mistake. Idiots.

Are they really paid commission? That seems so backwards, no wonder they're so eager to hand out fines. I can understand that they need to clamp down on people dodging fares but the overall mannerism of ticket inspectors is down right rude and disrespectful.

I once booked tickets to London about three months prior to travelling to save myself some money, but come the travel date my railcard had been expired for a week. Upon ticket inspection on the train I soon realised my mistake and apologised.

I explained my situation, and asked if I could just renew my railcard once I arrived. The ticket inspector told me that wasn't an option and said I had to pay for a new ticket and tried to charge me £120. I argued that the cheapest value of a new ticket would have been £60, not £120 as he wanted to charge me for a first class ticket. After a good few minutes of arguing my point, he told me to shut up and just pay the fine, or go to court and sort it out there.

My friend sat opposite me said aloud that he was being unfair, and he told her to shut up as it wasn't any of her business...

Ridiculous really. Does it cost anything to be polite to another person?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending